Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 09:16   #61

Re: Best 6hp outboard?

2 strokes are pound for pound a superior engine in almost every catergory EXCEPT the category that has led to it's demise, emissions. The 2 stroke is lighter, makes more power from off idle to wide open,has far fewer moving parts which in itself leads to an advantage of fewer parts to break less weight, less friction, less maintenence... I read an article in one of the fl fishing magazines comparing all 25 h.p. outboards. The test was not done I in a lab but controls were in place using different boats, drivers into the wind, with the wind slick calm and rough. The overall winner was the 25 2stroke merc which was fastest out of the hole and top speed, used less fuel, weighed less and cost considerably less. The 4stroke merc was 1 of the heaviest and most expensive and with every company that had both 2&4 strokes the 2 strokes cost less went faster and used less fuel. Like I said if not for EPA mandates there wouldn't be very many 4 strokes. Even lawn equipment will have to pass tough emission tests in a couple years so that is why many company's are building heavy ass blowers and weedeaters that cost more... I have a 2 stroke 4wheeler and none, not one of the same sized 4 strokes will run with it but not to worry, EPA will equal things out...hahaha.even 2stroke diesels that make mega power compared to 4 stroke of equal displacement are doomed even though they last many more hours over other engines that must push the envelope of endurance to equal the power of 2stroke diesels... If I needed an outboard, I'd buy a good used 2stroke long before I'd buy a heavy overpriced underpowered 4 stroke. I'll let you buy the clean engine to make up for my 2 stroke. Thank you and I hope I didn't offend anyone....
chuck.in.fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:47   #62

If anyone really wants a 2 stroke, I've got the best dinghy motor ever made, the 6HP Yamaha 2 stroke, for sale that I converted to 8HP. I also rebuilt it at the same time - new carb, exhaust manifold, powerhead casting (!), crankshaft bearings, pistons, rings, every gasket in it. The parts bill was $800 alone. Make me an offer!
Old 23-07-2016, 12:52   #63

Boat: Pearson 34

Am giving up on my old Yamaha 8 2-stroke. What's the best replacement motor my West 310 rib
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 13:24   #64

The best 8hp engine is the one you have.

What's wrong with it? You can buy any parts from iboats. I put a whole new cylinder block, pistons, bearings, and carb on mine for less than the price of a new 4 stroke.

Have you considered fixing whatever is wrong with it?
Old 23-07-2016, 13:48   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
Am giving up on my old Yamaha 8 2-stroke. What's the best replacement motor my West 310 rib
Those Yammie 8's are great motors. Hard to imagine there's anything wrong which couldn't be fixed. I have one of those on a skiff at my lake house, and it's never missed a beat.

If you do insist on changing it, I could recommend something, which is surely not "the best" in any way, but it is definitely "the lightest" four stroke 8 hp motor at only 27 kg -- the Selva Black Bass. It weighs the same as the lightest two strokes of that class.

It's cheaply made, and you might be forgiven for guessing that it's made in China, but in fact it's made in Italy, and the company is owned by none other than Yamaha.

It gets its lightness not only from being cheaply and lightly built, but also from being a one-cylinder. This means it sounds like a lawnmower, and it vibrates. And neither of those things has bothered me in the slightest.

It has performed perfectly this year and uses a tiny fraction of the fuel my great old Mariner 25 hp two stroke used.

Whether it will stand up to years of hard use not just as a dinghy motor, but also as harbor tender, as my old Mariner did -- I don't know yet. But so far so good and I think worth considering.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 14:08   #66

Boat: Tartan 37

The older (late 60's to late 70's) Johnson/Evinrude OMC 6hp Outboard Motor is great motor. The Johnson 6hp with a short shaft, twin cylinder, tiller, manual start, 2-stroke outboard weigh 44lbs. Many people love these models because they are very easy to repair and still very easy to find any parts for. These motors run for ever! They are immortalized by outboard motor enthusiasts as some of the best motors ever built!!!

We had one that we towed it upside down from Cat Island at 6 kts for several minutes. Got it back onboard rinse with about a gallon of water pulled the plugs sprayed with CRC and it started right up and kept running great for +20 years till we sold it with the boat.

The best motor ever owned and best 6hp motor.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 15:27   #67

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

you cannot buy a new 2 stroke in the US of A due to the EPA, at least not in the hp you want.. I have a nice extra long shaft(25 inch) tohatsu 6hp that works great.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 16:34   #68

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

The OP is located in MD.. so any discussion on 2 strokes is nice, but irrelevant as you cannot buy them new in the USA.

I have had 2 6hp outboards... tohatsu and Suzuki..

The suzuki is nice as it has an onboard fuel tank of about a pint and a half.. (very convenient) however, the paint started to fall off after 2 years and this seems common.. I repaint the lower unit each year.. and subsequently do not expect it to last .. I wont buy another suzuki

The Tohatsu started better, had solid paint job for the 8 years i owned it and seemed indestructible..until it wasnt. I would buy another.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 16:40   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Get a Mercury 6 hp 4 stroke.

I've had 6-8 two stroke outboards in the past and the 4 strokes are much better

I have a 2011 Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke on my Bristol 27, and it has worked great.

Sometimes I run it for 5 minutes to get out of the slip and other times for 20 miles maybe 4 hours.

No carb problems with ethanol.................

It has an internal tank and external tank connection

Mercury 5 HP #5MH 15" | Best Price Free Shipping

http://onlineoutboards.com/mercury-6...otor-4549.html

Manual:

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/4-5-6.html#/0
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The two cylinder Selvas are Yamaha, but the one-lungers like mine are original designs. And yes - looks like lawnmower engineering We'll see how it holds up, but I must say, so far, so good
How's it holding up?
rammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard