Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Beep then Beep then Beep

Sorry, didn't see colemj's post and your response.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:24   #17

Boat: Elan 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
Derek,
Maybe you already have this, it sure scarce on details and Volvo don't make it easy to identify what your alarm is.
Have you tried creating the alarm at night to see if one of your warning lamps is constantly on? Sometimes they can be invisible or appear intermittent in daylight.
Cheers,
Mac
It's also for the D2-40...
http://www.maritimsd.no/Customers/ms...20Volvo/D1.pdf

Hi Mac,

Yes I have that Doc and yes the info is a bit light on.
I have seen the Battery light flash when the beep sounds so that's why I tend to feel its the alternator, especially as its at low revs.

DeepFrz,
I appreciate all help as I'm only a Dental Technician and not the exalted Diesel Mechanic. Its an eye opener for me and makes me feel less ready to take on the wide oceans. I suppose its a learning curve and that's why I love the Forum.
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Its an eye opener for me and makes me feel less ready to take on the wide oceans.
Put a check on that feeling for now. This particular model engine has a history of beeping because the computer gets confused with the alternator. There is actually nothing wrong except the beeping. Volvo engineers and many good mechanics have not figured it out completely. Sometimes it is solved by a new computer (expensive), sometimes by a new control panel (expensive), sometimes by moving the sense wire or cleaning up a ground connection (cheap).

But don't use this as a vehicle for feeling less ready - there will be lots of real ones of those to come yet

I haven't gotten through them all yet...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Put a check on that feeling for now. This particular model engine has a history of beeping because the computer gets confused with the alternator. There is actually nothing wrong except the beeping. Volvo engineers and many good mechanics have not figured it out completely. Sometimes it is solved by a new computer (expensive), sometimes by a new control panel (expensive), sometimes by moving the sense wire or cleaning up a ground connection (cheap).

But don't use this as a vehicle for feeling less ready - there will be lots of real ones of those to come yet

I haven't gotten through them all yet...

Mark
Thanks Mark,
Its just these little annoying faults that you cant fix easily, get me down.
I don't seem to have much luck with engines or Mechanics.
I like the idea of looking into the sense wire and intend to look into the black box and ground wires this weekend. I hope its not the others as they sound expensive especially considering its a Volvo.
Derek
Old 05-11-2013, 17:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Just a thought Derek, try shutting off all charging devices when you start up and run at idle to see if that makes any difference. Its possible that the solar charger may be confusing things when the alternator is not putting out much power.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:04   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Just a thought Derek, try shutting off all charging devices when you start up and run at idle to see if that makes any difference. Its possible that the solar charger may be confusing things when the alternator is not putting out much power.
Yes, this is excellent advice. I inferred that earlier when I asked if the batteries were fully charged when it happened, but DeepFrz's explicit advice is better.

These engines have had a difficult time with external regulators and other charging sources. Again, these cause no real problem except the beeping.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, this is excellent advice. I inferred that earlier when I asked if the batteries were fully charged when it happened, but DeepFrz's explicit advice is better.

These engines have had a difficult time with external regulators and other charging sources. Again, these cause no real problem except the beeping.

Mark
I like your thinking but the Pannel has been on for about 9 months now and is wired direct to the House battery through a regulator and I keep the start battery seperate and isolated when not in use. Im tending toward the low revs thing at the moment and ill check the idle speed as im told the volvo tacho might not be very acurate.
Derek
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55   #23

Boat: islandpacket
You state that the engine panel is connected to the house bank and your start battery is not. What bank is being charged and how do you charge the other?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
You state that the engine panel is connected to the house bank and your start battery is not. What bank is being charged and how do you charge the other?
Badsanta,

My bad, its not the engine panel its the solar panel I was talking of.
I switch off the engine battery after each use both to stop any draw from the start battery and to isolate the starter, which is on the outside of the boat in the cockpit.

I will check the wiring this weekend.
Derek