Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 16:00   #16

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.
Re: Bearing problem Tohatsu 18hp Ever run 2 Stroke. Advice please :)

Sounds like the same 'problem' I had a few years ago with a 2 stroke outboard.
The top seal under the flywheel packs it in first & that allows air to be sucked in & that starves the bearing below it from oil.
I kept driving mine until it locked up the bearing on the crankshaft .... results? Another anchor!!
Once that seal goes the motor runs rough as .... fuel mixture gets it's settings upset.
Keep us informed?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 17:07   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Keep us informed?
Yes, sure will.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I am driving it very slowly.

I added an extra few ounces to the fuel to take it to about 30:1 instead of the normal 50:1. The run in is 25:1 so half way in between.

And driving it v slowly.

4 years old to be having bearing problems seems to be a bit quick. But it's a cruising boat dinghy. I drive it hard.
Cruising costs money. However it's the "Everrun " series. Designed for fishermen etc. This is not good enough for them.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 17:21   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Hmmm. He could hear bearing noise while you did a 360, but you whom drives the boat everyday hears nothing?

I'm sceptical
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 21:10   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Overbearing bearing? Actually a really tough engine (had a 15 on a Zodiac inflatable for over 10 years -really, and both lasted) but I guess things do wear. I was really kind to mine because I could not afford replacements or significant repairs at the time.
Old 22-04-2017, 22:28   #20

One thing for sure if you had any sort of bearing noise it did not go away. They only get worse they don't heal themselves
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 00:05   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, sure will.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I am driving it very slowly.

I added an extra few ounces to the fuel to take it to about 30:1 instead of the normal 50:1. The run in is 25:1 so half way in between.

And driving it v slowly.

4 years old to be having bearing problems seems to be a bit quick. But it's a cruising boat dinghy. I drive it hard.
Cruising costs money. However it's the "Everrun " series. Designed for fishermen etc. This is not good enough for them.

Mark
Mark, I was involved once with an engine that had a top end bearing problem, the owner ignored it and the engine failed to proceed offshore, took out the bearing and the crankshaft, an expensive lesson. Although it was a larger engine than yours, that top bearing can be an expensive failure.
My suggestion would be don't drive it until someone that is skilled in outboard maintenance can identify definitively the problem.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 02:22   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Driving my dink when the outboard starts making a clattering sound.
Stopped. Checked for something hanging off near the fly wheel.
Same sound in gear or neutral.
Drove it very slowly to mechanic.
By then the noise had stopped by mechanic said he could hear bearing noise.

Booked it in next Wednesday earliest available time.

What's the risks driving it between now and then say 20 minutes per day low revs?
How slow?
Adding extra oil useful or waste of time?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
The noise you heard was probably not a bearing but it is something and that something is sure to be bad. As motion30 suggests, a bad bearing noise doesn't go away.

It is possible that the mechanic can hear a bearing that is on it's way out but I reckon he is playing it safe. By suggesting a crook bearing, he has to pull the engine right apart. By going in so deep, he sure to find whatever was causing the noise as he is stripping the engine right down.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 04:54   #23

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If its in the starter that's easy. Unbolt the assy and replace...if located elsewhere..more work. Bearing destruction is a geometric progression...do not depend on it just fading away. It will fail sooner than you want. Fix now.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 08:04   #24

Boat: Casacde 36

Get a long, thin screwdriver. Take it with you. Next time the noise develops use the screwdriver as a stethoscope and you'll be able to determine the noise origin more closely.
As mentioned, it could be something as simple as the starter recoil not returning fully.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 08:45   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
One thing for sure if you had any sort of bearing noise it did not go away. They only get worse they don't heal themselves

Good point. My guess it was in the starter assembly and whatever made the noise was machined away in 15 minutes. I had two of those engines over 15 years (one was lost with the dinghy) and they are bulletproof.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 18:58   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

good tip with the screwdriver - you can often feel the vibrations on the shaft when you cant hear anything because of other noise like exhaust. i do know one thing for absolutely certain mechanical things don't "get better" they just dont heal - ever took me a long time to learn that one. sometimes there is the appearance of getting better because the part that was making the noise is worn down farther of simply flys off but they never just get better. i am highly skeptical of the bearing noise- if he could hear it from the dock you would not be asking the question about running it. it would be loud enough to settle all doubts. sorry i cannot be more helpful but if you could describe the noise more or localize the locations with the screwdriver tip it would help.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:05   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

reread your post-- a clatteriong sound - sounds very much like part of the retractabl;e paws on the starter did not fully retract and were hitting on the flywheel teeth. make a hell of a racket but can quit after the vibration of the running engine frees them up enough that they retract. they can get stuck by gummy grease etc. bearing noises dont go away- those noises do until the next time you start it and the lubricating grease is cold and gummy and they stick again.-- please let us know- if it was me i would pull the manual starter assembl;y off and look at it-- should be able to see very easily if the some of the pawls or dogs or whatever you call them are a little chewed up-- good news is that if this is the case you can clean everything up with a solvent, relube and put back together easily-- assemble is normally held on by 3 to 4 bolts and comes off fairly easily
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:14   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
should be able to see very easily if the some of the pawls or dogs or whatever you call them are a little chewed up-- good news is that if this is the case you can clean everything up with a solvent, relube and put back together easily-- assemble is normally held on by 3 to 4 bolts and comes off fairly easily
Right-oh that's tomorrow's job.
Thanks for the advice.

I remember the last time i pulled one off my last outboard. "Easy" someone said.... someone who didn't understand my mechanical skills 😔😕😲😤🤕
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 03:14   #29

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

A crank bearing or rod bearing can spin on the crankshaft, then when you shut off the engine and restart it may decide to stay put for a bit and spin again at a later date. I'm a mechanic and had a Toyota Avalon with a V6 that did this. It'd spin make a clatter oil light would come on. Then it'd stop. I did manage to drive it for 7 months this way. Then junked the car. It wasn't worth tearing down the motor as just the gasket set was about 400! I bought the car for 700 and drove it for a few years so all was good.

Just saying some serious problems can make noise when they like then be quiet for a bit. Hard part is telling when they are going to pack it in for good! The Avalon decided to die on the way to my wife's best friend's wedding... Of course we were running late too! 😓
Old 24-04-2017, 03:31   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Mark - I hope you don't lose your transport for too long; perhaps you might want to relocate inside for the duration? As others have posted, bearing noises usually don't go away so perhaps your problem is indeed elsewhere and might be less work/cost to repair. I hope that "lil Dink" continues to drive you around!

Tags
lease, 2 stroke