Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 19:07   #16

We used the Baja west marine version and based on what I found in it after several "fill ups" in less than 1st world places, I would always choose to use it and be safe.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:21   #17

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
I have filled up at fuel docks in the 3rd world with boats that we were travelling with for years.
They used a Baha filter, I didn’t.
I never had fuel flow problems, they did.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 21:19   #18

Boat: Buizen 48
Talking Come on now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
I have filled up at fuel docks in the 3rd world with boats that we were travelling with for years.
Hey Mesq .... we already know you can "walk on water", now stop bragging about you can also prevent it from going into your fuel tank!
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 22:15   #19

A lot of boats have fuel fill ports mounted flush on the deck. They frequently leak a little bit now and then.

The vent for the fuel tank can let some water in under certain conditions.

Condensation in temperate climates is another source of water.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
Are you suggesting that their use of a Baja filtre caused their fuel problems, or that your observations are statistically meaningless - describing mere chance?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
A new report also shows that Baja filters cause hair loss...which would explain a lot in my case! Seriously though Mesquaukee, what the heck were you trying to say? I think your point got filtered out somewhere along the way...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55   #22

It is a very good idea to only put good clean fuel in your tanks.
Unfortunately no matter how careful you are containments will find its way into your tanks.

You may have a colony of blue mould growing in the tank (the organism passes through a Baha filter). Adding biocide will kill it but then all the dead mould breaks off and can plug up the engines filters in minutes.
Water can get in from deck mounted fuel fill ports. They may not seal that tightly and leak a little bit during heavy rains or excessive healing, etc. Fuel tank vents mounted on an exterior surface during a heavy downpour can let water into the tank if the engine is running or if the is a change in pressures. Condensation is another factor, even in the tropics. Eventually you may collect a significant volume of water. During violent motions while motoring numerous large slugs of water can be drawn into the filter filling the bowl and then the engine.

What I am saying is do not rely on a Baha filter to prevent fuel problems. It is a comforting first step only.
Assume that water, blue mould and any other sort of garbage managed somehow to get into your tank. Design your fuel filtering system after the tank on that assumption.
You therefore want a fuel filtering system that can absorb sudden high loadings of crap and water which can occur during or after violent motions exactly when you need your engine the most.
Filtering fuel from one tank to the other does not pick up any of the crude on the bottom, it is only reassuring to do so.
You can quite easily periodically vacuum up any crude on the bottom of your tanks with an easily constructed cheap homemade device. It can be constructed of a rigid tube, flexible clear hose, drill powered pump, large filter, and some more flexible clear tubing. With this rig you can pick up most of the crude on the bottom.

I have spent years argueing this point with people who have fuel problems.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:20   #23

Design design.
No Baja yet but siphon fill.
Here are the instructions for the Admiral.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	8848  
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
having witnessed first hand the dangers and flustrations of replacing fuel filters while sailing/cruising at sea under adverse circumstances,l i will always use the filters when purchasing my diesel, whether i place it into jerry jugs or into tank.; i also use a good biocide and have had no problem with my own fuel. there are many reasons for having gunk in the fuel -- is in your own tank or from the source of the new fuel. there are many ways to remove the gunk from your own tank---and ways to prevent that gunk from getting into your tank.....i choose to be cautious as regards my fuel---i dislike being stuck in an adverse current and cross wind with a stuck fuel filter......is not fun.....be smart--be safe--be cautious....there are reasons for maintaining clean fuel.....and those reasons are usually found in strange places under very unfriendly circumstances----have fun and safe sailing, wherever in th eworld you may be.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 15:28   #25

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
I have a baha filter that I would like to sell. It is the smaller of the two models. How about $100 plus $15 for shipping? I thought I'd use it cruising, but I'm not cruising, so I don't need it. Email me at cchung95@yahoo.com if anyone's interested.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 16:22   #26

Re: 'Baja' Fuel Filter

I have one of the originals, just purchased from Marine Thrift in Port Townsend, unfortunately I heard the who built them passed away and his wife brought the remaining inventory to the thrift store. They sold out fast. We are now using ours in Baja, seems to work, not sure how it separates water out... Also, does it need to be cleaned after each use?
BluewaterKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 16:51   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bluewater Karma,

No, they don't need to be cleaned. Used ours for years, successfully.

Ann
Old 05-11-2023, 17:13   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think the Mr. Funnel products are a good alternative to the Baja Filters. This one is rated at 12 gpm.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...189057186&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	283120  

Tags
baja, fuel, fuel filter