Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 22:17   #1

Bad Experience with Tohatsu Dealers

Recently I purchased 2 X 90 hp Tohatsu outboards in Brisbane, Australia.
The motors are fine, but the service from the Local dealer and the Australian distributors has been far less than ideal.

My boat is a Non planeing (fast displacement) which was fully explained before purchase, (they visited the boat).

With the Standard prop's I could only get a max 3,000 rpm, I asked for a finer pitch prop 14X11 which they supplied, which gives me 4,500rpm.
However the motors should have a max rpm of 5000-5,5000.

Apparently, Tohatsu only have two size prop's available in this range, both sourced from Mercury and both are only suitable for planning boats

The Tohatsu dealer and the Australian distributor have therefore refused to supply me with the required prop's 14 X 9 (available from Mercury) and they have also told me that if i use the current props 14X11 I will veto my warranty.??

Two new props will cost me an extra $600.00

Is there anything I can do.
Old 23-12-2010, 00:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Why Worry?

Problem is, it looks like you want Tohatsu to sell you a Mercury part.

I can't see you being able to force them to.

Why not just go and buy the Mercury propellers (assuming they fit)?

If there's a warranty problem I'd worry about it then. I'm sure something could be sorted out...
Old 23-12-2010, 00:49   #3

Thank you Boracay,
The fact is that all Tohatsu propellers are Mercury sourced. (Mercury own half of the Tohatsu company)
However when you buy an outboard you would expect the Dealer to supply me with the right prop for the application.
Apparently they only supply props for planning hulls and have nothing available for displacement boats.
I am not happy
Old 23-12-2010, 01:12   #4

Boat: TBA
props

normally when purchasing an outboard above 25hp(varies from manufacturer) props are an extra but after paying i was onthe understanding they were to swap props until you reach your correct Rev range (There is a guy in kawana Sunshine Coast Solace propellers who knows all about which fit what and which will suit your needs, give him a call he helped me with the motor selection and the type of prop and got it perfect ) he should at least be able to advise you of what can now be done.
Old 23-12-2010, 04:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would agree with aclmck propellers are a fairly precise science. Any good prop shop can match the best fit for motor and type of boat. Given the dealers seem unable to do this for you it seems a real expert would serve you better. It sounds like you have the right idea for about what you need but getting it might be better served elsewhere. Using the wrong prop they supply would be worse than having warranty problems. Over propping an engine is not healthy. It's clear you won't get satisfaction from the dealer because it's not a situation they know anything about.
Old 23-12-2010, 13:31   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I would go to Tohatsu direct.......Read your warranty......
Old 23-12-2010, 13:56   #7

I second what the chief says The motor maker want you happy in most cases
Old 23-12-2010, 14:20   #8

Thank you all for your comments.
Yes, i have had difficulties with the local dealer.

However what has really upset me was that when I went to the Australian distributor, with a simple, polite request for them to look into the matter.
I was not only ignored but given an enormous amount of "spin" which was just not truthful or correct.
I supplied copies of emails from the dealer which clearly show the dealer is not performing his duty in Tohatsu's best interests.

The distributor is protecting his dealer at all costs when he should be protecting Tohatsu's best interests.

The interesting aspects, is where can I go from here, there is No Tohatsu office in Australia and Tohatsu Japan, does not except emails from the public
Old 23-12-2010, 14:32   #9

IMHO two things:

1.) Cut your losses and contact someone else who can help you. As noted above, there are some experts around who can fit you right.

2.) Contact the dealer directly. Tell them you are unhappy and why. If you really want to get tough with them, tell them you'll be sure to voice your opinion of their company at every opportunity. You could even refer them to this thread as an example!
Old 23-12-2010, 16:08   #10
Eternal Member

Yeah....this forum does carry a good bit of weight
Old 23-12-2010, 16:22   #11

hey, guess what.
I told the Australian Distributor I belonged to an international boating Forum with 44,000 members and that they had 24 hours to respond or I would start this thread.
The Dealer emailed me this morning callng me a "son of a bitch" and offfered to swap over the props to the 14X 9 that I have been asking for.

I havn't got them yet, but I will let you know.
Old 23-12-2010, 19:10   #12

please do forward this thread to the dealer. It's best to get both sides of the story.
Old 23-12-2010, 19:15   #13
Eternal Member

Here's hoping
Old 24-12-2010, 06:03   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
please do forward this thread to the dealer. It's best to get both sides of the story.
We prefer not to be the Better Business Bureau. We are not a measure of last resort where you attempt to seek revenge.

We tried mediation a few times and while it worked just a few times it took an inordinate amount of our time. We got really lucky too. We realized it and decided never again. Our volunteer time is not available for those services. We can't force a vendor to make you satisfied. The implications of claiming it are staggering. We don't want a reality TV show here. Judge Judy is better and has video.

Customer service is a two way conversation. You need to engage the vendor when they won't reach out! If they owe you something then go collect it!
Old 24-12-2010, 06:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
We prefer not to be the Better Business Bureau. We are not a measure of last resort where you attempt to seek revenge.

We tried mediation a few times and while it worked just a few times it took an inordinate amount of our time. We got really lucky too. We realized it and decided never again. Our volunteer time is not available for those services. We can't force a vendor to make you satisfied. The implications of claiming it are staggering. We don't want a reality TV show here. Judge Judy is better and has video.

Customer service is a two way conversation. You need to engage the vendor when they won't reach out! If they owe you something then go collect it!
agreed, but to have a one sided bashfest of what my be a good vendor is a bit unnecessary.
Closed Thread