Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 17:44   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Automatic transmission fluid in diesel fuel

My son is a car buff. He purchased an old car the other week that was in sad need of an oil change. He turned up with a small bottle of "Engine flush" that he paid around 10 bucks for. I told him a cup of diesel oil achieves the same thing. Out of interest we cracked open this bottle of engine flush and had a sniff. Guess what it smelt like? (hint: diesel). Ingredients listed on the bottle? "Hydrocarbons"
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 18:51   #17

Boat: '06 Hunter 45cc Sailboat, 45'

Name:   0002785403080_180X180.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  6.4 KB

Been using this stuff since '05 and add some every fill-up. $17.00 for 2.5 gallons at Wal-Mart, treats 250 gallons of diesel and makes up for the low sulfur stuff sold here in the good ole' U.S. of A. and boosts the CETANE rating in the bargain. It makes my old Yanmar 4JH3TE purr like a kitten.
Capn_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:56   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Seems to be two basic groups:
those who add some magic oil, at intervals, and believe that is why their engine runs well,
and those whose fathers and grandfathers never added anything, so they don't either, and take it for granted that, because of regular service and maintenance, their engine runs well.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:00   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

I'm going to add "adding automatic transmission fluid to diesel fuel" to my upcoming book "101 Stupid Boating Tricks".

Right under "adding cayenne pepper to bottom paint".
Old 28-03-2015, 16:23   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Yeah, that cayenne pepper makes bottom paint (deadly cuprous oxide) too spicy for the toredo's tastes.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm going to add "adding automatic transmission fluid to diesel fuel" to my upcoming book "101 Stupid Boating Tricks".

Oddly if you google adding Automatic transmission fluid in diesel fuel, you'll find many professional mechanics do it. ATF burns slightly hotter and helps decarbon the engine. The high detergents also help clean parts and provide a bit of extra lubricity with the ULS Diesel in older engines.

It's also used by many old bike and LBC car folks to help clean the old CV type carburators (SU, Stromberg, Keihin) while under way. Myself, I use it more in my wing, cause it does help keep the 36 year old motorcycle that is this granny's land yacht, running well.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:47   #22

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

I'm with Ron on this one. Until I get more than "subjective" proof and testimonials showing that additives of any kind enhance anything but the bottom line of those selling them, I'll continue to do without.

The key to longevity and performance is proper operation and maintenance as dictated by the manufacturer. Period.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:54   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

ATF in Diesel is THE old school detergent for cleaning Diesel injectors. When the injectors varnish you will hear the engine knock a little more at idle, usually it's a sort of random knock as opposed to a steady knock.
I've been putting ATF in Diesel fuel for 40 yrs or so, but Techron and or Sea Foam actually work a little better, at I'm sure an additional cost.

MMO or Marvel Mystery oil has been an illegal standard in aviation for almost 100 yrs., rumor has it that it was manufactured by the same person that manufactured the Marvel carburetor that was the standard carb for almost all the old aircraft engines.

Most additives are pure snake oil, and if they don't actually do damage, consider yourself lucky, but MMO and ATF don't fall into that category
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:59   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Of course Wikipedia is not necessarily a reliable source, but this jives with what I've heard forever. Marvel Mystery Oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've seen several Pratt & Whitney R-1340's that would stick valves, but wouldn't if MMO was used in the fuel, I didn't believe it until I saw it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:02   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Of course Wikipedia is not necessarily a reliable source, but this jives with what I've heard forever. Marvel Mystery Oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've seen several Pratt & Whitney R-1340's that would stick valves, but wouldn't if MMO was used in the fuel, I didn't believe it until I saw it.
Yes Sir, I use a bit of MMO too, now and then.
Old 28-03-2015, 17:16   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I'm with Ron on this one. Until I get more than "subjective" proof and testimonials showing that additives of any kind enhance anything but the bottom line of those selling them, I'll continue to do without.

The key to longevity and performance is proper operation and maintenance as dictated by the manufacturer. Period.

Jacques
Oddly the proper oil ratings as listed in the 1990 yanmar service manual for the GM series engines are not even made anymore Same would apply to even older diesel engines. So as the world adapts to new oils and fuels, some older engines need a bit of extra loving now and then.

Myself, I'm an engineer with 35 years under my blouse and A64pilot, I think learned to fly with the wright brothers, or so I hear. Myself, I would not put anything in my engine that I had not done a due diligence on.
Old 28-03-2015, 17:32   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

SailorChick and A64Pilot together make a pretty good reference for engines. I for one will take their words for it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:27   #28

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly the proper oil ratings as listed in the 1990 yanmar service manual for the GM series engines are not even made anymore Same would apply to even older diesel engines. So as the world adapts to new oils and fuels, some older engines need a bit of extra loving now and then.

Myself, I'm an engineer with 35 years under my blouse and A64pilot, I think learned to fly with the wright brothers, or so I hear. Myself, I would not put anything in my engine that I had not done a due diligence on.
I agree that you have to keep up with the times, but the only changes I've seen in diesel mono and multi-grade dino oils in the past 30 years is a slight increase in detergents (which couldn't hurt) and a politically correct decrease in sulfur.

Granted, putting a modern synthetic oil in an old diesel or gas engine is never a good idea, but traditional mineral oils are still readily available.

It's a little like the snake oil that everybody wants you to add to unleaded gas in pre-70's cars, claiming that the replacement of lead by nickel will burn valves. Some even go as far as to recommend replacing the valve seats because of this.

I started using unleaded gas in all my old cars when Amoco came out with it in the late '60s, and never noticed the slightest increase in valve chatter or other ill affects.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 19:05   #29

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Work with the top guys from any of the large fleet servicing companies.

I have worked repairing marine diesels side by side with Cat and Cummins mechs in NJ, Ga and Fl. Not a one recommended ATF or any other additive unless the fuel was not to spec.

I can see that they might do what people will say...but If a engine or fuel doesn't need anything, why arbitrarily add it?

I have listened to engines that people say are running better now with some magic potion added...hogwash as there were no measurable differences except for ego....

Might it help in a case or two? Sure, but is your engine the one that needs it? How do you know?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 19:20   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Not a one recommended ATF or any other additive unless the fuel was not to spec.
\
How would we know this?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, transmission