Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 13:19   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Crankcase Explosions in Two-stroke Diesel Engines
Not a normal engine as we know them. Those a huge ship engines. GM are the only manufactures of two stroke Diesel in a size that we would come across. And they don't have fuel in the Crankcase like the little two stroke bike engines.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 14:29   #32

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
I would say a diesel powered boat could explode. Lead acid batteries charging, hydrogen escapes into the engine compartment. Automotive alt was swapped out due to cost savings over a marine unit. BOOM!
Old 24-08-2008, 15:58   #33

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
If you want an explosion on a diesel boat look to the propane tank fittings ,lines and vent system.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 16:35   #34

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
CCSwann,

There might well be a lot of debate about how and when a boat could blow up however, there could be NO debate about who, Georgia or Georgia Tech, has the best football team!

Good luck with your novel,

Bill A. UGA class of 73/83
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 16:57   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Explosion inside the crankcase?? That would be a tiny and insignificant explosion, compared to a larger fuel/air mist explosion in the engine spaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon
'Fuel-air explosives disperse an aerosol cloud of fuel which is ignited by an embedded detonator to produce an explosion. The rapidly expanding wave front due to overpressure flattens all objects within close proximity of the epicenter of the aerosol fuel cloud, and produces debilitating damage well beyond the flattened area. The main destructive force of FAE is high pressure. More importantly, the duration of the overpressure gives it an edge over conventional explosives and makes fuel-air explosives useful against hard targets such as minefields, armored vehicles, aircraft parked in the open, and bunkers."
The nice folks at Wiki also include information on how to calculate the details of your explosion with various fuels--diesel not being a preferred one.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm
The FAS might be considered a more reliable source than Wiki.

But diesel, in general, is reluctant to explode.

Perhaps a sloppily stowed old can of paint thinner, rusting through and then flooding the engine spaces (and that Edsel alternator) with something more explosive would do. Or, some cans of starting spray (ether) which is highly explosive, and might well be carried by someone trying to gimmick a balky engine.

I'll take an autographed copy if that works for you. And, a percent of the Hollywood movie rights.[g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 18:17   #36
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Yeah Man....

There were "blow out ports" that are spring loaded that are supposed to vent....yeah right.....three of them shot off and richocheted around the engine room desk, where the engine room logbook was, AND WHERE I WAS NOT 90 SECONDS BEFORE. Oh and did I mention the flame woofing out about 5 feet and the engine was still running?

I wasn't scared until I made my way thru the smoke to the engine cutoff
and rang down the main. Then went up on deck. Then the old knees got a little rubbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Chief, are you refering to a sump explosion? I have had that happen as well. In a small 50Hp Diesel Tractor. It shot the dipstick a good 70ft into the air. But once again, not something that could be considered an "explosion". More like a damn good backfire.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel