Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 13:17   #16

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Ugggg

Ugggg...why not put an outboard on her. I am not much of a sailor so there may be a hull constriction I am not aware of, if not the new 4stroke outboards are fablous.

Many of the commercial boats are moving frm diesel to ob's.

I hope I am not preaching heresy or blaphneny in questioning diesel. Please guys, don't get rope.
Old 16-12-2010, 13:29   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post

BTW atomic 4's started life has a motor for the Farmall Cub farm tractor.
You may be thinking of the Palmer Engine which is a marinized IHC Cub Cadet Tractor Engine
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:35   #18

thanks for all the input- I've thought of the out board but I'm worried about following seas submerging it. A power boat can move faster than the waves. A sailboat not so much It's looks like a yanmar 30 is the way I'm going. Thanks to everyone
Ecity 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:54   #19
Eternal Member

I am sure you are aware of this, but there is more to converting to diesel than just plopping an engine in.

Exhaust, fuel tank, filters, fuel lines, controls, engine bed modifications (if needed)/ Make sure you are aware of all the costs.
Old 16-12-2010, 15:44   #20

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
A decision. I love it. For what it's worth_ Anthony at Marine Propulsion has given me advice on the phone that was spot on and didn't make him any money. I've never had work done there and haven't heard any local feedback other than the yard is a good ways out of town and has good prices to attract customers. Just had a Sesame burger for dinner by the way. MMMM. Marine Propulsion is also a Beta Marine dealer from what I've read, I think.

Hope you're back underway soon.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 05:41   #21

Boat: carver 26
Good luck, recomend staying away from pierside also. Too much money with poor fix.
lazy parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 05:59   #22

Boat: Pearson 323
I would consider the repair/rebuild option first, but if it doesn't work out and you decide to re-power, I recently installed a Beta Marine in my Pearson 323 and documented the installation. My 323 had a Volvo MD11C, but the installation issues should be the same (V-drive an all).

Also, Beta Marine has custom mounting brackets for an Atomic 4 replacement that will make the installation easier since you won't have to modify the engine bed.

John
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 06:31   #23

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Measure in every direction. IIRC a friend looked into the drop in diesel replacement and discovered that it was taller and he didn't have the clearance. I believe the drop in refers only to the engine bed.

Another friend replaced a diesel with a different brand diesel. I believe her total bill was about double that of the engine itself to have everything done. The additional costs refered to by Chief Engineer.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 06:49   #24

Boat: Pearson 323
".. Beta Marine has custom mounting brackets for an Atomic 4 replacement that will make the installation easier since you won't have to modify the engine bed."

should read

.. Beta Marine has custom mounting brackets for an Atomic 4 replacement that will make the installation easier since you won't have to make large modifications to the engine bed.
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 07:47   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You may be thinking of the Palmer Engine which is a marinized IHC Cub Cadet Tractor Engine
My dad's Cub had a C-60. Zippy little thing.
Old 18-12-2010, 10:16   #26
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Tia Bu;579536]A decision. I love it. For what it's worth_ Anthony at Marine Propulsion has given me advice on the phone that was spot on and didn't make him any money. I've never had work done there and haven't heard any local feedback other than the yard is a good ways out of town and has good prices to attract customers.

I had work done there when I had engine problems during a delivery. They were prompt, congenial, and definitely a "good ways out of town". I recommend them highly. I dealt with Pierside , while surveying a trimaran this summer and found them friendly but lacking knowledge in the areas that we were focused on. [wood/epoxy construction] The repairs on that particular boat had been done by Detyans, who fiberglassed a keel repair right over existing bottom paint.[definitely not a place I would recommend] Sea Island Boatworks is highest on my list of recommended repair facilities in the area, but I am unsure how much engine work they get into, as they primarily do new custom boat construction.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 16:32   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
This is a quote from Never Monday "I have a pull out AT4. No idea of it's running condition other than it ran."

That means he has an engine. I'm certain a compression check would let you know if its worth installing.

If I were you I'd PM him.

kind regards,
Old 18-12-2010, 17:08   #28

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
This is a quote from Never Monday "I have a pull out AT4. No idea of it's running condition other than it ran."

That means he has an engine. I'm certain a compression check would let you know if its worth installing.

If I were you I'd PM him.

kind regards,
Contact Moyer marine, they have all kinds of rebuilds ready in which ever stage you want it in. They can hook you up with parts that are needed. This is a good engine, fix it and put it back in.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 13:15   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"why not put an outboard on her."
Might as well put a torch to the boat and kill it now. Hanging an outboard on a sailboat designed for an inboard pretty much guarantees poor handling, hobbyhorsing, and is a good sign that the boat is being killed by the owner.

Dropping in a diesel for "only" another thousand might be worth considering, even though the extras (entire fuel system, making up exhaust,possible engine mounts, etc.) are going to way exceed that thousand. A lot depends on your budget, how mich you want to invest in the future, and whether you've got the time and skill to DIY a lot of the plumbing instead of paying yard labor.

The diesel also should pay back something--not what it cost but something--if the boat is sold five years down the line.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 15:12   #30
Eternal Member

You will be hard pressed to recoup your costs from any repower