Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2015, 20:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: At Anchor with Dead Perkins - Advice needed

As a last resort just double check the primary fuel intake inside the actual fuel tank.Sometimes there is a gauze filter that if blocked plays havoc with the fuel flow to your other filters and pump. If you access your primary filter, Racor or whatever, if you get sucking noise it indicates an obstruction further back in the tank itself.

Old 17-03-2015, 23:41   #17

Boat: production yacht, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Dead Perkins?
I would say not even critically ill, just asleep, you/we have not found the 'thing' to wake the engine again.
I agree with the majority of posters here that a faulty fuel shutoff could be the culprit. I have x2 Perkins myself (one in truck RV, other one in yacht), one has a manual shutoff, the other one electrical. The solenoid is seldom faulty, more likely the wiring/fusing/switching to this solenoid may be faulty. Check with multimeter if you have power to this solenoid (when ignition switched on).
Yes, you can unscrew the solenoid and check if the plunger is stuck, or needs cleaning/freeing up, or if the coil is burned out. Yes, you can replace the electrical shut-off with a mechanical one.

Old 18-03-2015, 04:12   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I had A similar problem with my 75 hp Yanmar , after water contamination in the fuel tank - I cleaned the tank and replaced all the filters etc , but the motor wouldn't start .I, afters hours of bleeding , discovered that inside the final filter around the center tube/bolt , there is a small electro slider switch shaped like a mini cotton reel ( black) that on contact with water slides up the tube and closes the filter / fuel. The sliding switch needs to pulled down to open the fuel filter after replacement . Yours may not be the same problem , but it may help - good luck - Garth
Old 18-03-2015, 15:15   #19

Boat: Custom Power Cat 16.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Dead Perkins?
I would say not even critically ill, just asleep, you/we have not found the 'thing' to wake the engine again.
I agree with the majority of posters here that a faulty fuel shutoff could be the culprit. I have x2 Perkins myself (one in truck RV, other one in yacht), one has a manual shutoff, the other one electrical. The solenoid is seldom faulty, more likely the wiring/fusing/switching to this solenoid may be faulty. Check with multimeter if you have power to this solenoid (when ignition switched on).
Yes, you can unscrew the solenoid and check if the plunger is stuck, or needs cleaning/freeing up, or if the coil is burned out. Yes, you can replace the electrical shut-off with a mechanical one.
Thanks all for the help. Had to bite the bullet and put in to find a mechanic.

Turns out it is the high pressure pump, they won't know exactly why it's failing until they pull it down, at which point they may as well reco it. Apparently a very rare failure on this engine and therefore a very rare spare.

Good that I am not going insane, ouch at the price of rebuild/replacement......
Old 18-03-2015, 18:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Ouch at any mechanic's charges. I hope it is that and not something else entirely. Remember when bleeding to shut down the cooling water intake so that you don't flood the engine with saltwater through the muffler system.

kind regards,
Old 18-03-2015, 20:43   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule303 View Post
Thanks all for the help. Had to bite the bullet and put in to find a mechanic.

Turns out it is the high pressure pump, they won't know exactly why it's failing until they pull it down, at which point they may as well reco it. Apparently a very rare failure on this engine and therefore a very rare spare.

Good that I am not going insane, ouch at the price of rebuild/replacement......
Actually for me the failure of the high pressure injection pump is not all that rare. It only takes a small amount of dirt or grit in the fuel to wipe one out as the tolerances inside the pump's pistons is quite tight.

And I had one injection pump where the upper distribution portion's bolts holding it to the lower part of the pump came loose and allowed air to suck into the pump wiping out its ability to pump fuel.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a spare pump for my Perkins but it came at a very high price. Normally around where I am you can only send in your pump to be rebuilt.
Old 19-03-2015, 11:49   #22

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

would like to see the outcome to this thread...
Old 20-03-2015, 11:20   #23

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Ouch at any mechanic's charges. I hope it is that and not something else entirely. Remember when bleeding to shut down the cooling water intake so that you don't flood the engine with saltwater through the muffler system.

kind regards,
Rather hard on the impeller, isn't it John?

I think better to prime with the manual pump lever or install an electric priming pump.

I agree about being careful to not fill the water-lift tank. I get nervous whenever I'm starting my 4.108 cold. Next overhaul, I'm installing a drain in my water-lift. It boggles me that it doesn't have one.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:29   #24

Boat: Liberty 458

A good search to make sure you dont have a hidden fuel cutoff or ignition cutoff or relay. Follow the wires.

The generic rule for troubleshooting any diesel is FACT. Fuel, air, compression timing.

The beauty of the non electronic Perkins is you can bypass all the electrics, jump the starter and you're good to go. Just make sure you have fuel flowing.

A couple of candidates are lift pump failure, fuel pickup in the tank blocked, water in the fuel, failed starter ignition solenoid or air in the lines. I just bleed the final filter banjo, injector 4 and then injector 1. This is usually sufficient after final filter change.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-03-2015, 11:57   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Rather hard on the impeller, isn't it John?

I think better to prime with the manual pump lever or install an electric priming pump.

I agree about being careful to not fill the water-lift tank. I get nervous whenever I'm starting my 4.108 cold. Next overhaul, I'm installing a drain in my water-lift. It boggles me that it doesn't have one.
Well if you left it closed after the engine started, yes. Don't do that.

You can't manually prime past the fuel injection pump only up to it.

Tags
anchor, perkins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: