Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 10:35   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Anything wrong with rebuilding?

Something to bear in mind is that having the cylinders rebored, crankshaft ground, valves seats replaced, starter motor etc. are all operations and components that can be performed or obtained in the high volume world of automotive repairs, but those are the tip of the iceeberg- somewhat analogous the cost of the hull v. the cost of a finished boat.
The alternator, voltage regulator, heat exchanger, exhaust manifold (these last two often combined), mixing elbow, riser (if needed) water pump">raw water pump, shaped hoses, gearbox, oil cooler, etc. are all marinization parts from the low volume world of marine diesels, and will all need to be purchased and installed to get to fully remanufactured (comparable to new) status.

Think three times and then buy a new engine is my suggestion.
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:44   #47

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Something to bear in mind is that having the cylinders rebored, crankshaft ground, valves seats replaced, starter motor etc. are all operations and components that can be performed or obtained in the high volume world of automotive repairs, but those are the tip of the iceeberg- somewhat analogous the cost of the hull v. the cost of a finished boat.
The alternator, voltage regulator, heat exchanger, exhaust manifold (these last two often combined), mixing elbow, riser (if needed) raw water pump, shaped hoses, gearbox, oil cooler, etc. are all marinization parts from the low volume world of marine diesels, and will all need to be purchased and installed to get to fully remanufactured (comparable to new) status.

Think three times and then buy a new engine is my suggestion.
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
my fisher panda type8 from 1997 has a Kubota engine of high reputation. Although old, it showed just 1500hours on the time meter.

Well, over 2 years, i had to change or accomodate for
- water coolant leaks
- oil leaks, hopefully from the oil stick
- new raw water pump
- NEW SOLENOID (fuel)
New fuel pump
New alternator
Blockage of speed control
Cleaned fuel pressure pump, and injectors

I added a day tank on top, as fuel line is long and got empty, its f....g pump can not suck fuel fast enough, and i had to prime all the time....

Well, every time it starts i say Hoorah. I spent say 1500 and have a running?? Gear getting older....hum....

Oh yes, the PO was/is a sob in earnest :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 14:45   #48

Boat: Casacde 36

If you're smart enough too do a wet test, before jumping in and replacing stuff, why not pull the head, remove the pots and measure the bores? If they are not too oval, nor tapered, a new set of rings may be just what you need. If the bottom end is in good shape, replace the shells.
It's winter, you've got time. It'll likely run for years afterward.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:21   #49

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I pulled my Yanmar 3HM35F out at about 6000 hr when it started burning oil, drove it to Union NJ where Mac Boring rebuilt it ($4700+), drove back to get it three weeks later, and reinstalled it. That was a complete rebuild - long long list. They did it every day, so the experience was there. I was thrilled to see two others just like mine on the bench at the same time. In my case I chose experience over cost. I'm over 9000 hr now, and all seems well.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:41   #50

Boat: wanting a cat

Beta? Depends on money available though...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 21:26   #51

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...Anyone who will do their own bottom job or their own teak, why would they not do their own overhaul?...
Yeah, why not hire the local bottom painter to overhaul your diesel?

If the op was an experienced engine builder I think he would have said so. Have it your own way.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 18:20   #52

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspackler View Post
Added a bit of oil for a wet test and cylinder 1 upped to 320 psi which, as I read it, means rings.
I was told to never to do a wet compression test on diesels. Because the tolerances are tight and compression so high, it can cause damage.
Old 03-01-2017, 18:33   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gee, I rebuilt my Yanmar 3gm30F 3 years ago, by myself (mostly). Had a good machine shop do the holes and $700 in parts got it back running like a champ.

So for $1200 dollar and about 80 hours of time to pull the engine, take it apart (bagging each assemblies nuts and bolts and labeled) and you can do it do. I did it with the bare minimum of tools too. Even used a metal band type oil filter wrench for a ring compressor. It has 500+ hours on it after 3 years and still going strong.

Long as the crank and cam are good, bearings and rings are cheap.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:36   #54

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Carlspackler,

If you have not read Sailorchic34's thread of rebuilding her diesel, you should spend some time with it. It is a great story of what can be done at little cost, and with care, what great results can be achieved. I recommend it highly.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-107705.html
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild