Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-03-2013, 22:13   #1

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
Anyone...new hand-start diesel marine engine...

I know Yanmar and Volvo Penta make (made) them, but are they still producing these engines? Had one years ago (Volvo Penta) and it was a winner.

Need a new engine, and no one from the factory/website has returned my email from either company. Any help? Thx in advance.

Old 23-03-2013, 22:46   #2

Re: Anyone...new hand-start diesel marine engine...

Pretty sure the 2GMY Yanmar is still in production (it was a couple of years back), intended for ships' lifeboat service.

It had a layshaft on top, chain driven down to the (cam?)shaft, to bring the crankhandle up to a suitable height (makes a huge diff to how hard you can crank). And like all 2GM motors, it has decompressors.

If you have a need for more hp, you could also consider a spring starter, or a hydraulic starter.

Old 24-03-2013, 18:03   #3

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Andrew, I don't completely understand...

"If you have a need for more hp, you could also consider a spring starter, or a hydraulic starter." Could you give me more detail? Always appreciated...
Old 24-03-2013, 20:15   #4

You get a pretty solid first four pages if you Google (including the quote marks)

"spring starter"
and
"hydraulic starter"

at least, better than anything I could tell you, so I'll just mention a couple of things which those hits may not address ...

They're not as affordable as an electric start, for sure; it's a question of economies of mass production. They do have the advantage of starting a diesel engine even when the engineroom is chockfull of seawater, though.... (not much point unless you pick an engine without electronic engine management, naturally)

This attribute is especially useful if you have a disaster pump connected directly to the engine - as the Bounty replica, like all wooden planked ships, would have been particularly well advised to do.

Your most affordable option would be to retrofit a hand start facility along the lines of the 2GMY solution, but you'll need to pick an engine with separate decompressors for each cylinder if you're doing that.

The biggest hand-startable diesel I've shared a boat with had a 6LXB Gardner swinging a 1 metre (39") diameter MaxProp.

It was a maxi racing yacht with coffee grinder winches, with handles which four guys could crank. When the occasion demanded, they could take one set of handles down to the galley, and after a bit of disassembly of the joinery (which was made with that in mind) they'd connect it up using a custom coupling, and get four seriously big guys kneeling around it.

They'd get her spinning with all cylinders decompressed. Then the first decompressor would be tripped shut, and the veins would stand out on their foreheads as they helped it through the first compression.

Luckily it was a beautiful engine, immaculately maintained, and from there on it was largely downhill.
Old 24-03-2013, 21:21   #5

There is also the AIR START method which is a small starter motor that takes the place of the 12 volt starter and uses compressed air to turn the engine over. The beauty of it and the hydraulic starters are that you can use a hand pump to build up the pressure needed to start the engine , even if the regular compressor is not working. I have no idea of the price of one of those systems, and I suspect a better choice would be to get a remanufactured Volvo that was designed for hand cranking. There was another small diesel that had a hand crank feature that had a worm screw that you set the decompression lever on , and after a set number of turns the lever would drop off of the end and give you compression, and hopefully a start. That way you didnt have to let go of the crank with one hand to drop a compression lever. Two hands working as hard as possible cranking is better than one hand. Maybe someone here will recall that brand of diesel?_____Grant.
Old 15-12-2013, 21:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
You get a pretty solid first four pages if you Google (including the quote marks)

"spring starter"
and
"hydraulic starter"

at least, better than anything I could tell you, so I'll just mention a couple of things which those hits may not address ...

They're not as affordable as an electric start, for sure; it's a question of economies of mass production. They do have the advantage of starting a diesel engine even when the engineroom is chockfull of seawater, though.... (not much point unless you pick an engine without electronic engine management, naturally)

This attribute is especially useful if you have a disaster pump connected directly to the engine - as the Bounty replica, like all wooden planked ships, would have been particularly well advised to do.

Your most affordable option would be to retrofit a hand start facility along the lines of the 2GMY solution, but you'll need to pick an engine with separate decompressors for each cylinder if you're doing that.

The biggest hand-startable diesel I've shared a boat with had a 6LXB Gardner swinging a 1 metre (39") diameter MaxProp.

It was a maxi racing yacht with coffee grinder winches, with handles which four guys could crank. When the occasion demanded, they could take one set of handles down to the galley, and after a bit of disassembly of the joinery (which was made with that in mind) they'd connect it up using a custom coupling, and get four seriously big guys kneeling around it.

They'd get her spinning with all cylinders decompressed. Then the first decompressor would be tripped shut, and the veins would stand out on their foreheads as they helped it through the first compression.

Luckily it was a beautiful engine, immaculately maintained, and from there on it was largely downhill.

A friend of mine told me about a hand-start diesel that was fitted to a crane at the old London Docks. It had been electric start but someone had stolen the battery and sold it! The engine still had to be started however or the management would turn nasty. The engine which I think the bloke said was a Gardners did have a starting handle but there was no way that one man could turn it on his own. What they did was to attach a rope and perform a kind of synchronised tug of war. Allegedly it takes about six burly dockers to start the engine when there is no battery!
Old 15-12-2013, 22:28   #7

I have no idea if they still do, but Lister used to make both aircooled diesels, and watercooled diesels that could be hand cranked. Might be worth looking into? _____Grant.

Tags
diesel, engine, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: