Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2013, 04:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anyone have knowledge or experience with Volvo MD21A or MD21B to share?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve928, and Maxiyot.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 19:51   #17

Boat: CT-41

Steve928,

10+ years of maintaining your own engine is credentials to me! You have provided a lot of good information. I hope to keep this thread going so other people can join in with their experience. When I first started the thread, I could not find anyone with any information except expensive Volvo-Penta stuff. Knew there was more, but no idea where to find it. There are not many on this thread, but the info that has come in is priceless for any MD21 owner.

Maxiyot<
I too had to deal with bad fuel tanks. My solution was to replace the tanks before using the engine. You can see how I did at on a blog at:
Sailing Mystique

As a blog, you have to go back to the first articles to see where it all began and what the boat looks like. It is current up to last month. Will add more in the next week or so.

Old 15-07-2013, 05:03   #18

Boat: 1903 36' jarrah cruiser

Very interesting thread. I have an MD17D. Are any Peugeot parts compatible? Or for that matter other brands. Thanks to everyone who has contributed above. It has been enlightening to say the least! Pete. Adelaide, South Australia. OZ.
Old 25-07-2013, 06:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Glow plug wired up to starter, indicator lamps wired to panel lamps, broken glow plug resistor, changed out alternator, and a audible warning device hanging there with wires disconnected. I know enough about diesel engines to make it work, but going by the book does NOT make it work, Volvo parts ridiculously expensive and many not available at all with parts guy giving no alternative.
Steve,
I am a new-comer here, both, this forum and boats in general. Some time ago I bought an old boat with MD21A and I am renovating it. Now I am facing the problem with the glow plug (most likely). I need a long time to warm up and sometimes the indicator lamp still does not go off. Would that be a problem with the glow plu itself, wires, resistor? Any piece of help, please.

Cheers
P.
Old 31-07-2013, 13:57   #20

Hi all, I'm in Texas and have a Foromsa 41 with a Volvo Penta MD21A 75HP diesel.

I've done some very basic work on it (control cables, impellers, fuel venting and filters).

I'm currently struggling to find a piece to affix the choke cable to the engine as it broke when I pulled too hard on it the other day.

Does anyone have a picture of their control cable assembly to their engine?

Cheers, Pete
Old 31-07-2013, 14:29   #21
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Choke cable " ? , do you mean the throttle cable

Dave
Old 31-07-2013, 15:05   #22

There's actually two; the throttle cable, and a control "choke" cable.
Old 17-08-2013, 11:33   #23

Hi,

I am looking for wiring diagram for MD21A. Any chance one of you could share a scan or post a link?

Thanks
P.
Old 27-08-2013, 10:23   #24

reference volvo md21 spares .sorry about delay.
parts are available from indenor retro Indenor Retro - Wellcome
not cheap but nor are volvo.
had ours 33 years i just had to rebuild it last year
Old 08-09-2013, 14:11   #25

Hello everyone,

Great thread! Thanks to the OP and all who have provided current experiences and helpful information.

I have a Rasmus 35 with a MD 21a. My 21a is the older type with the large boxy heat exchanger. After getting heat temp alarms on the past couple of trips I decided to rebuild the sea water pump. The housing broke while attempting the rebuild . I have not been successful with finding a replacement.

Does anybody know if the MD21b water pump assembly will work. It is more available for purchase from what I have found out. Any information would be great !

Also, could anybody recommend a mechanic to speak with who has solid experience with this engine?
Old 28-09-2013, 11:41   #26

Boat: CT-41

Bahaimperial,

Did you solve your seawater pump problem, and if so, what did you find out?

My engine is running, sounds great, shows no sign of problems except blue smoke, which I suspect is because the engine was rebuilt, but never used in 10 years. Obviously burning oil, probably rings were never seated in, and possibly "iron worms" in the cylinders from sitting unused. I started a thread on oil burning in a rebuilt engine on the forum that provided a lot of good break-in tips.

Now, I have decided to stay in Oregon for the winter to continue completing my refit, which also means taking time to learn my engine even though it appears to run great. One thing I found was that quite a few details on my engine differ from what the workshop manual shows for an MD21A. The seawater pump is one of those things. I have the big, boxy heat exchanger, but the seawater pump appears more like the description for an MD21B?

At the moment, I am trying to figure out if mine is an A or a B. Having no experience with this exact engine, what I know is only what I was told when I bought the boat and from a professional diesel mechanic I had look it before I bought it. Since then, I have found some pretty sloppy work from that mechanic, so can not rely on his opinion.

Any of you know how much is interchangeable between the 21A and 21B?
What should I look for to find out exactly what I have and how much is a modification?

thanks,
Steve & Aleutia (the dog)
SV Mystique, Portland, Oregon
Old 28-09-2013, 18:51   #27

Hi Vino,

The next time you look at the sea water pump, look and see if it has a tachometer sender coming out of the port side of the water pump. It looks like a small cylinder with a diameter similar to a half dollar. That will have a wire coming out from it and running aft. I believe the old type of water pump is the type with the tachometer sender.

Everything should be interchangeable between the two engines except the sea water pumps, and the heat exchanger. Not only are the sea water pumps different, they mount to the sea water pump drive differently. This is my problem at the moment. I am trying to find an obsolete md21b sea water pump anchorage.

If your engine is running good, don't do anything! Ha! I wish I had never had any inclination to repair the water pump. I could have gotten a trip or two in this summer, but instead I got nuttin'. I have faith though. I'll get this sorted out and report in on the good news. Let me know if any of this helped.

Picture description : That cylinder is the tachometer sender attached to the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-03 18.02.05.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	67981   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-03 18.02.40.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	67982  

Old 10-10-2013, 17:17   #28

Hi, I have a working MD21 B from a 1985 Hallberg Rassy 352. The engine is in good shape with a new alternator. I am repowering as I plan on doing some extented cruising and don't want to worry about finding parts. The engine is in the Jacksonville, Florida area. If interested pm me.

Cheers
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14   #29

I found many parts from these shops when i was rebuilding my indenor engine, and they were much cheaper than those parts in the marinepartseurope.
Pièces Peugeot | Série04 - 203 403 Q3A D3A D4A D4B 104 204 304 404 504 604 205 305 309 405 605 J5 J7 J9 Tagora Samba P4 - Serie04
Peugeot / 504 + 604

504 peugeot had the same indenor engine so its glowplugs, sealings and other stuff i had to order from there fitted perfectly.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ottopotto.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: