Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2012, 16:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Any Opinion on Chinese Engines TD226B-4C3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Are you buying it through an american sales outlet or what? The reality for Chinese made goods is how well the company specifies their quality needs. For instance... compare the quality of a Ta Shing built boat like a Baba or older Passport, to a CT/Leaky Teaky. It takes a lot of effort to make the chinese company understand what your expectation is. My understanding is that companies like Apple have very high quality expectations and work with their makers to make sure it happens. At least they havent made a Corvair, Pinto or Vega yet!
My nephew had a large excavator that was a Deutz... same company? I thought his was German... at any rate it "wern't no Caterpillar" but worked. Japan offloaded a lot of their production to China many years ago...
Yes German..went thru a factory in Poland once...good tractors for the money...DVC

Old 12-01-2012, 17:06   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

German Deutz, and Chinese Deutz different animals for sure!! a company I did field work for in Cali, took on a line of Chinese Gen sets, from 8 kw to 100 kw, let me just say it almost broke them, Gave me a BUNCH of overtime tho LOL. If the choice of a rebilt Leyman, or a brand new Chinese diesel at half the price, Id go with the leyman every time !! Heck Ive had one or two in fish boats that had 12000 hrs on them with normal maintaince. Stick with what you know works till things get better with the cheap stuff! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie

Old 12-01-2012, 17:45   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: any opion on chinese engines TD226B-4C3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
As I sit in my office of my own american manufacturing company
On furniture probably made in china typing your response on a computer full of chinese made components
Old 12-01-2012, 17:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
German Deutz, and Chinese Deutz different animals for sure!!
Are you sure you're sure?
DEUTZ AG - PRESS - Press Container - DEUTZ launches joint venture in China

And while we're at it try Chinese made Mercedes, VW, BMW, Daimler Chrysler
Mercedes, Made in China | Business | Deutsche Welle | 08.09.2003

How about Audi?
Three Audi milestone models to be made in China

Ford?
Quote:
LISA NAPOLI: Ford keeps on looking for ways to reduce its costs. So it's not going to buy American. From Beijing, Ruth Kirchner says the struggling automaker's going to double its purchase of Chinese-made auto parts.
Ford . . . made in China | Marketplace from American Public Media
And maybe the whole car made there soon
Your Next Ford Could Be Made in China | The Truth About Cars

I expect some Americans will have to stop buying all of these products now, after all, you keep saying all Chinese made gear is crap.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:56   #20

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
With the DEUTZ german parent company involved should not be an issue.

Are not a lot of Catepillar parts made in China thesedays.
Old 12-01-2012, 18:10   #21
SKI

Boat: none yet

Cat I'm sure you are probably right. However I actually do look hard when buying things to buy american if I can. It not goods made overseas that bothers me it's that its not an even playing field with the chinese. They use inferior materials and manufacturing procedures and pay the employees a fraction of what I have to pay mine. I designed and patented a component for the mining industry and one potential customers said they weren't interested cause they were getting parts from china for half of what I've got just in material. it's hard to compete with that if price is the only concern
Old 12-01-2012, 18:16   #22

Seems like there was a big post on here about a chinese-OZ anchor that sorta became a little different when they took over the manafacture of them ?? or maybe all you folks have short memorys?? I know what these were like when they first came over to the states !I worked on them! had to throw them away ect I did not read about the engines online !! Believe what you like ! but be careful. Bob and Connie
Old 12-01-2012, 18:25   #23

Quote:
Cat I'm sure you are probably right. However I actually do look hard when buying things to buy american if I can. It not goods made overseas that bothers me it's that its not an even playing field with the chinese. They use inferior materials and manufacturing procedures
Some do, when working to a price or directed to.
Do you think the FORDS, Mercedes, Audi's, BMW's etc shown are built from inferior materials or use inferior manufacturing procedures or do you think the parent companies would ensure they are up to standard?

Quote:
and pay the employees a fraction of what I have to pay mine.
I designed and patented a component for the mining industry and one potential customers said they weren't interested cause they were getting parts from china for half of what I've got just in material. it's hard to compete with that if price is the only concern
Thats your problem not theirs and has nothing to do with the quality of build in other countries.

I can buy numerous products in the US for a fraction of the cost of same in Australia.
Should I run around slamming and slandering the US at every opportunity because Australia finds it difficult to compete on price due to excessively high labour and general uncompetitiveness?
Old 12-01-2012, 18:29   #24

China is a large place. It has the full spectrum of quality. The hard part is making sure whatever your buying is coming from the right end of that spectrum. But if you can do this, via referrals from users, tightly controlled JV with name-brand (Apple, Deutz, Mercedes etc), then its fine.

My guess is that 'made in China' is far more extensive than you realize. And its crazy not to take advantage of it.
Old 12-01-2012, 18:46   #25
SKI

Boat: none yet

I would agree with both of you that the chinese can produce as good a quality product as anybody if instructed to do so. but if your looking at something made there and you feel that it's considerably cheaper than a well known/ proven product there's probably a reason it's soo much cheaper.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:50   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One thing I would agree on above for sure: It would be hard to beat a rebuilt Lehman Diesel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:07   #27

Quote:
but if your looking at something made there and you feel that it's considerably cheaper than a well known/ proven product there's probably a reason it's soo much cheaper.
How about resellers are greedy and purchasers are stupid

I have found anchor windlasses, where looking at the website you would think they are either American made or Norwegian made with 2 generations of manufacturing behind them, so says their spiel.
They cost several thousand of dollars each but from the "actual" manufacturer in China, without the "name brand" sticker, they only cost hundreds of dollars.

Or the 12 volt fridges being sold by a leading name Australian company manufacturing near me.
Fridges again cost many thousand of dollars, but a bit of research finds thay are made in China.
I can buy them in the US for about 1/3rd of the cost of Australia, so they probably cost a couple of hundred dollars to buy from the manufacturer.

Cigarettes.
A packet of Marlboro in Australia is $15, in Vietnam thay cost about $0.50c
Flat screen TV's , fridges, motorcyles, same as we get here, there for a pittance.

Heres a prime example for you
2011 camaro in the states cost YOU $25k
2011 Chevrolet Camaro For Sale - CarGurus

2011 camaro in Oz costs ME $120,000
Used CHEVROLET CAMARO cars - Find CHEVROLET CAMARO cars for sale - CarPoint Australia

Is mine better because it is more expensive?
Or is your's crap because it is cheaper?

Expensive price does not necessarily = Quality
Expensive price = silly muppets ability to pay expensive price for what is a cheap product elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2012, 20:28   #28

I guess it's cus Im old, but all Ive gotten for cheap was cheap ?? how bout the rest of ya Truth now, Im not talking about good shopping habits but CHEAP ?? LOL Bob and Connie and I still say give me the Lehman rebilt LOL
Old 12-01-2012, 20:52   #29

Cheap can be cheap. Expensive can be cheap, as CMD says above. But quality can be cheap, it doesn't have to be expensive. You have to do your own research on the item.

I'm not arguing against a rebuilt Lehman. Or a Deere or Cat reman unit. Indeed, these are prizes.

I just don't like the addition of 'marine' into the description, which multiplies the price, and also having to contend with the import/retail margins in Australia. The strong currency has been with us long enough for stuff ordered or in transit at old exchanges rates to be flushed through the system. We want better prices now! No more lame excuses!
Old 12-01-2012, 21:04   #30

Boat: 33ft sloop

Buying is one thing. Getting it serviced another. It is Japan in the early ' 50s and '60's all over again. In about 20 years, yes. But at that time any liquid fuel will be unaffordable.
What will you gain with cheap stuff? You are in the end the loser.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: