Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 13:28   #1

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Any Nissan SD33 or SD22 engine owners...

Hello all! Just searching for any experiences, good or bad with the Nissan SD-33 or SD-22 diesel engines and gear. We have just installed a brand new replacement SD-33 6 cylinder, and are hoping for advice and reviews... Thanks, Christian

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 23:22   #2

Re: Any Nissan SD33 or SD22 engine owners...

We have had an SD22 in our Cabo Rico 38, running like a clock since new in the late 70s. Pulled it to rebuild, largely due to oil leakage rather than performance. Found a broken intake/exhaust manifold that we are attempting to repair. I would really appreciate a tip where to find a replacement if you know of one. If we can't find one, we are headed for a re-power.

You should expect long, good service from your sd33.
abowlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Not sure if it is similar, but we have the ED33, installed in 1986, after being pulled from one of those low km Japanese trucks, Nissan Cabstar I believe. It's a monster of a thing, but to its credit, seems reliable. 2000 hours and still fine, though I wrecked the injectors by feeding them water, and it has the expensive rotary vane style injector system, so that cost a pretty penny to fix. Parts are ok, but not EASY as such. Still, so far so good, and once you sort out your supply lines you should be fine.

Matt
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:32   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Any more on this SD33 as a motor cruiser I like has one. The question I have is how to know when the bits are too old!! I am not use to the idea of only one motor & no sails to get home!! Replacement with new is not on the table. Will look at what ED33 is.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:46   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Bill, parts are becoming very hard to come by. And the SD33 was, if I have it right, the 6 cylinder version of the ED33 and had some issues.

In particular, both use rotary vane injector pumps which are horridly expensive to repair though there are no reliability issues that I am aware of.

On balance I would treat the engine of the boat you are looking at as a negative factor, albeit only mildly negative.

I am currently investigating my options to replace my ED33 because of the parts issue.

Matt
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51   #6

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Thk, I just sent a PM!!

Just a bit of a worry finding out what I should replace before it breaks on an engine as old as these & no history!! I am thinking the first 100 hrs will be the worst!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, nissan