Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 08:17   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Any Merit in Subdividing the Engine Subforum into Diesel / Gas and Electric / Hybrid?

The sub forum is already sub titled "Gas, diesel, hybrid and electric".

I am in two minds myself - but as Electric Engine power seems to be gaining momentum (or at least the discussion of ) might be some merit in not jumbling up the two (very different) forms of propulsion.

Or there might not be

Thoughts?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20   #2

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'
Re: Any merit in subdividing the Engine subforum into Diesel / Gas and Electric / Hyb

I vote yes. Electric propulsion is coming. Currently the electric discussion gets a lot of clutter from the diesel guys who just won't have it. No, offense intended -- they may even be right, but dividing the forum would make finding things easier.
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Any merit in subdividing the Engine subforum into Diesel / Gas and Electric / Hyb

Last I heard (following my previous post) was that the matter was under "consideration" - which I read as SFA will be happening........

......kinda like my own conversion to EP!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:09   #4

Boat: too many

I would like to create a place for everyone thinking about electric, and diesel-electric propulsion, fully electric galley, electric dinghy, diesel DC gen-sets, and 48 VDC (and higher) inverters, can communicate ideas, links, experiences, and pictures. Since I have been the victim of thread closures when such topics veer off, I have added this topic to my own forum. When your on your own turf, you know posting history will not be lost. My forum is a rather oddball mix of subjects, 80% hot rods (T-buckets) 10% for family care givers, and 10% sailing/cruising. This is where you will find the topic "Integration of systems" in the "Hybrid Drives For Sailboats" thread that is part of the "SAILBOAT CRUISER'S FORUM". All are welcome, please give links to all the breaking news on hybrid drives that you have come across here....
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2012/03/1...systems/#post2
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 20:21   #5

Boat: 8.5m Fast Sailing Cat, 7.5m McLay Aluminium HT
Re: Any Merit in Subdividing the Engine Subforum into Diesel / Gas and Electric / Hyb

I vote YES! I will not post a new thread on this forum for anything, there are just too many negative don't wannabes for me to stick my head above the parapet. Now if there was a gentle supportive forum for those actually interested in Electric Propulsion I would be much more likely to share.
mdenize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 21:35   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Any Merit in Subdividing the Engine Subforum into Diesel / Gas and Electric / Hyb

A gentle supportive sub-forum would quickly attract the nay-sayers and then it would not longer be gentle or supportive.

I’m a believer in EP but I’ve got the background and experience and temperament to take them on, I understand other folks not wanting to take the flack involved.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 22:08   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The internet has never been kind even when it was net news.
Old 17-02-2020, 06:32   #8

Boat: 25ft wooden boat
Send a message via Skype™ to zloitapok

+1 to split electric/hybrid and diesel/gasoline
All we know that pure electric have only niche application - a short-term engine run.
Electric-hybrid can replace diesel/gasoline propulsion but it is cost more.
Currently many people do not know even terms and definitions used at EP, not to mention a good practice how to use EP. There is a huge hole in equipment list that suits a specific voltage, etc. To shed a light to this topics we need a place at forum that do not intersects with diesel/gasoline.
Thanks.
zloitapok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 06:41   #9

Boat: sabre 28

I think it's a great idea.
We already know about the limitations of EP but having a dedicated sub forum may be very helpful.

Tags
diesel, electric, engine