Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2013, 07:49   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Any Advice on How to Remove 130 gal Diesel Tanks

use up allyour diesel or asmuch as you can use. putt he restinto jerry jugs.
get your sawzall and have at it.
minhe had been replaced with a plastic tank for a truck,, is a bad tank. i see that to restore my former holding quantity i would have to dig up my boat. or weld inside it....and my resulting tankage would be only 62 gallons. urgh.
i will be changing water to fuel and fuel to water as i figure out my problem with this mess.....
it is easier to change water tanks to fuel tank than than it is to change diesel tankage to water tankage. if you have a watermaker, this could well be a good solution for yours as well.
have fun. please let me know what you decide to do with yours. i am still problem solving with mine, but we will be changing fuel and water tankages....i may also add ballast, as mine has been stripped down hard and seems to want more weight for stability,especially when water tanks are empty

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Any advice on how to remove 130 gal diesel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I second the nibbler idea if the tank is thin enough... I have had one for years, and love it... They are loud as Eff using them though.... If you don't have an air source, they make 110v models.... Buy a good one if you go this route...
I've got an old Bosch nibbler that is electric... pretty good device. I think it'll do at least .10 thick metal. Never tried it on anything much thicker.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Any advice on how to remove 130 gal diesel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've got an old Bosch nibbler that is electric... pretty good device. I think it'll do at least .10 thick metal. Never tried it on anything much thicker.
Actually, those old Bosch nibblers will do 10ga. (.130")
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

This is a common problem with the trawler type we currently have and has been done many times by many owners. The tank needs to be completely emptied, buy yourself a bunch of metal sawzall blades and get a good sawzall. Cut the tank in as many pieces as you need to get it out. Once out, have a series of small tanks, preferably two, made to fit in the space and plumb them so that they will be self filling. It's still a lot of work but not nearly as much as pulling the boat apart. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:21   #20

Boat: Formosa Ketch, 48'

Hey, thank you all for all the good advice. we have thought of the nibbler too, and we liked the idea of leaning into the tank and cutting up as much as possible from the inside.

we had one tip that we may just take.....leave it till next year !!
(as it only leaks when the tank if over 3/4 full....we might just postpone this project till next summer....as we are anxious to get to the bahamas.) thanks all, and happy sailing!

------_/)-------
prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:39   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy View Post
Hey, thank you all for all the good advice. we have thought of the nibbler too, and we liked the idea of leaning into the tank and cutting up as much as possible from the inside.

we had one tip that we may just take.....leave it till next year !!
(as it only leaks when the tank if over 3/4 full....we might just postpone this project till next summer....as we are anxious to get to the bahamas.) thanks all, and happy sailing!
ad if it starts leaking elsewhere and your bilge pump spews it all over the white sand beach...?
Even West Marine sells tanks that might fit in your old one. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50408

Drain, cut the top off, put in tanks and put some dunnage 2 x4's around them. Sleep better....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 17:50   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
For a temporary fix if you can locate the leak take a dremel type die grinder & cut a small, short groove thru the leak. After you have it cleaned up (no rust or paint), you'll need a ball peen hammer, a center punch & some solder. Tap the solder into the groove & then use the center punch to drive it into the crack or hole that caused the leak. I've used this to fix fuel tanks on equipment on a seam or pinhole leak till we ran it down low enough on fuel to do a proper fix.

Tags
diesel, tanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: