Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 11:15   #1

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Question Antifreeze necessary around Athens?

My boat and its Volvo D2-75 are going to remain on the hard about 10 nm South from Athens, Greece.

The yard has advised that flushing the engine with antifreeze is not necessary in this location, because even if the temperature does dip below zero on a few winter nights it is unlikely to do so inside the boat.

Does that sound reasonable, or is it a needless risk?

Thanks for all input and advice.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Antifreeze necessary around Athens?

they are correct about antifreeze,but an oil change is always good to have done at the end of the season to stop corrosion
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:45   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Beta recommend 50% antifreeze even in warm climes, from memory something about raising the boiling point of the liquid.

Ask volvo?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Is your d2 fwc or rwc. If fwc then yes you need antifreeze. ( If only for it's anti corrosion properties.) If rwc then it may be a good idea to fill with antifreeze to help with anti corrosion while on the hard. My md2b actually recommends a flush with a rustproofing oil ( now days I use antifreeze.). To prevent rust during periods of layup.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Is your d2 fwc or rwc. If fwc then yes you need antifreeze. ( If only for it's anti corrosion properties.) If rwc then it may be a good idea to fill with antifreeze to help with anti corrosion while on the hard. My md2b actually recommends a flush with a rustproofing oil ( now days I use antifreeze.). To prevent rust during periods of layup.
It is FWC.

The manual says to flush it with a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. I am rather concerned that the yard does not seem to do that to any of the boats in their care, and I am considering doing everything myself.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:28   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
It is FWC.

The manual says to flush it with a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. I am rather concerned that the yard does not seem to do that to any of the boats in their care, and I am considering doing everything myself.
There you go. Do what the manual says.

Of course the next question is, what kind of antifreeze? And why not just leave the antifreeze in the engine until it's time to run it again?
Old 20-10-2017, 12:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
It is FWC.

Do what the manual for your engine says to do. ( Prevents issues if there is a warranty repair)
JMO but always do what you can (and are comfortable doing ) yourself. That way you know it was done properly. ( Definitely increases the comfort and peace of mind factor)
Old 20-10-2017, 12:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
There you go. Do what the manual says.
Yes, that would seem to be the prudent thing to do. On the one hand I don't wish to upset the yard - they will have my boat for 6 months - but on the other this seems like a clear example of not doing the right thing if the aim is to not only prevent freezing but also reduce the likelihood of corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Of course the next question is, what kind of antifreeze? And why not just leave the antifreeze in the engine until it's time to run it again?
Volvo glycol. I have about 3 litres of the stuff aboard, but it may not be enough. The manual says to keep cycling 50/50 mixture of glycol and water through the seawater side "until the entire system has been flushed with the mixture", whatever that may mean.

Thanks for the help.
Old 20-10-2017, 13:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The engine should have antifreeze in the freshwater system. I am sure it does.

The raw water system is quite separate. This is normally seawater.

There is little risk of saltwater freezing around Athens. However, if leaving the boat for long periods it is sensible to flush the raw water system with fresh water. This reduces the corrosion and scaling.

If the seawater is flushed with freshwater the risk of freezing is increased. The risk around Athens is low but adding a little antifreeze when you are flushing the raw water system with fresh water is easy to do. This adds some extra corrosion protection and removes any lingering concerns about an extra cold winter.

Don't worry too much about the antifreeze concentration on the raw water side. If the antfreeze is seen coming from the exhaust the concentration will be more than fine for your location.

So flush the raw water with fresh water containing some antifreeze. Change the engine oil and filter in time to run fresh oil through the engine. Seal up any openings so insects and wasps cannot make a nest and make sure everything is secure and waterproof. It can be very windy and wet over winter.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 14:23   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Your fresh water side should already contain a/f enough to go thru a mild winter. If so, you are clear to go.

Flush the saltwater side though. (I leave our saltwater side full of a/f liquid.) This can be easily done from a bucket.

As noticed, oil change is done end of season too and the batt goes on a trickle or at least fully charged.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 20:36   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The engine should have antifreeze in the freshwater system. I am sure it does.

The raw water system is quite separate. This is normally seawater.

There is little risk of saltwater freezing around Athens. However, if leaving the boat for long periods it is sensible to flush the raw water system with fresh water. This reduces the corrosion and scaling.

If the seawater is flushed with freshwater the risk of freezing is increased. The risk around Athens is low but adding a little antifreeze when you are flushing the raw water system with fresh water is easy to do. This adds some extra corrosion protection and removes any lingering concerns about an extra cold winter.

Don't worry too much about the antifreeze concentration on the raw water side. If the antfreeze is seen coming from the exhaust the concentration will be more than fine for your location.

So flush the raw water with fresh water containing some antifreeze. Change the engine oil and filter in time to run fresh oil through the engine. Seal up any openings so insects and wasps cannot make a nest and make sure everything is secure and waterproof. It can be very windy and wet over winter.
I totally agree with Noelex on this. Palarran was hauled at Olympic Marine. While they can get snow, a cup of water outside will not freeze so neither will your motor. But you need to get the salt and organic stuff out and it helps to add the antifreeze. A small amount helps inhibit rust, even with fresh water.
Old 21-10-2017, 10:46   #12

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

You should always keep at least 50% antifreeze in your motor to prevent corrosion and to lubricate the water pump seals.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:32   #13

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Volvo glycol. I have about 3 litres of the stuff aboard, but it may not be enough. The manual says to keep cycling 50/50 mixture of glycol and water through the seawater side "until the entire system has been flushed with the mixture", whatever that may mean.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here's what you need to do:

Winterizing an Engine on the Hard (Thanks to Maine Sail) - NEVER connect a hose to your raw water pump inlet - NEVER!!!

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...ht=winterizing
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 11:45   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ANTI freeze is also ANTI rust ANTI boil over
your choice.
i use it in tropics.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 13:03   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Yes on anti-freeze.
I'm on the hard for a few years so must start engine occasionally. Also need to work on engine including fine tuning alignment. Good to run fresh water through the system. Pull water from a 5 gallon bucket. Had problem not supplying enough water. Could only idle. In order to bring to full temp needed to add additional hose to bucket. Yes, do not hook hose directly to raw water pump.
I wouldn't feel comfortable not running my engine for 6 months although it is done all the time. Mine is a 40 year old Lehman that runs like a clock.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze