Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 01:55   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006
Re: Antifreeze necessary around Athens?

In my Yanmar 4D , I use only a pure antifreeze year round in the closed system side - in the raw intake side ,after lift out , I flush with fresh water and then with pure anti-freeze which I leave in for the winter lay-up . Engines are expensive , a few liters of anti-freeze is cheap . Garth
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 04:00   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

"Pure" antifreeze is not ideal, it needs to mixed with water to achieve the right properties such as adequate heat transferance.

Antifreeze is sometimes sold premixed, which is fine to use, and I suspect is what you have been using. It is an important distinction because often companies sell "Pure" antifreeze and pre-diluted antifreeze in almost the same packaging so it easy to get this wrong.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 08:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
In my Yanmar 4D , I use only a pure antifreeze year round in the closed system side - in the raw intake side ,after lift out , I flush with fresh water and then with pure anti-freeze which I leave in for the winter lay-up . Engines are expensive , a few liters of anti-freeze is cheap . Garth
For optimum protection from freeze as well as boil over the anti freeze mixture is 50% water.
Old 23-10-2017, 12:11   #19

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Thanks everyone. I decided to ask the yard to run some antifreeze through the engine, despite their earlier advice to the contrary. They were happy to oblige, and now I no longer feel like I will need to constantly monitor Athens weather forecasts for signs of an unusually cold winter!

The diesel tank has been filled, stabilizer added to the fuel, filters and impeller replaced, and now the engine is ready to have a little rest during winter.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:23   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I think that is a sensible move.

Mostly because you now have freshwater instead of saltwater in the raw water side of the engine.

Changing the impeller is also wise, but for future reference do this at the start of the season, if possible. It is something you need to able to do yourself anyway.

Changing engine oil is best done just before winter so the engine has nice new oil with the best corrosion protection over the lay up period. The impeller vanes develop a set and are more likely to crack if the vanes are left in same position for long periods so changing at the start of the season is better in the ideal world.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 17:57   #21

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Forget freezing

Coolant is needed for its cleaning and anti corrosion properties
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze