Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:36   #1

anti siphon prob.

Hello all, I was the guy with the big engine trouble awhile back, anyway I ended up installing a rebuild same engine diff. marinization Ford/Bowman The new exhuast elbow is below the water line on this one so I installed a Vetus anti sihpon the kind with the hose out the hull, no valve My question is , is water supose to shoot or jet out the side? I thought it was suppose to run out gently? Please any input would be apprec. We are suppose to leave in a week for N.C.
bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have a Vetus loop in my exhaust line. Mine shoots out. Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:40   #3
GreatKetch

How much water comes out is only an indication of the back pressure in the mixing elbow and exhaust system.

It has nothing to do with the effectivness of the device. What's important is that AIR has to get IN when the engine shuts down.

As an altervative, I installed a simple tee at the high point of my loop, and lead the air bleed to a fitting in the cockpit right above a drain. A steady dribble of water tells me right away that the water pump is working. Any interuption in water flow is immedietly obvious by sight and sound to the helmsman
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46   #4

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
We have that sort of setup on both our main propulsion engine and genset.

Ours are setup between the heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold. In this area, the water is under full pressure from the waterpump.

We limited the amount of water that can go through the fitting on the top of the loop by using 1/4 inch diameter barbs. Quite a bit of water still comes out. It shoots out downwards because we have 90 degree fitting at the hull.

A lot of people have commented on the water coming out.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11   #5

The water that comes out shoots out the side of the boat about 3feet at first i thought that my exhuast exit run was looped to high [6ft above water lift muffler] so I cut it down to a straight shot with no loop in the exhuast hose and I still have the water shooting.
bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote