Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05   #46

Boat: grampian 26
A badly leaking turbo seal can cause a dangerous engine runaway condition since engine oil will burn as well as diesel fuel. The only way to stop it is to choke off the air supply.Oil can enter the combustion chamber through leaking valve seals (mainly the intake valve due to the vacuum), stuck or broken rings or glazing of the cylinder walls. Chasing down excess oil consumption can be frustrating and often involves disassembling the engine and and measuring everything to see if it is still within the wear limits.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Another Smoking & Cruising Question

This is an old thread. Now an update after 500 hours of use.

The smoky Yanmar has performed well over 500 hours and almost three years. I have had a couple of problems -- oil puking into the bilge after operating in rough, high seas a couple of times. Gummed up turbo after those incidents; cleared up by itself once.

I replaced all of the fuel injectors last summer -- that was the last bit not to have been overhauled (at delivery, the turbo and injection pump were overhauled in an unsuccessful attempt to address the smoking problem).

I would sometimes get a fair amount of grayish smoke with a blue tinge on startup, sometimes smoky exhaust, but I learned to ignore it, and the engine has been performing well. I had not seen the really huge billows of smoke I had when I was buying the boat.

Now a funny thing happened -- I have been using the main engine to charge batteries since my generator broke. So I have been running it at 1300 - 1500 rpm for an hour or two at a time, once a day.

Today I decided to blow the cobwebs out a little, put her in gear, and ran her up to 3000 rpm. Huge billows of smoke, like when I was buying her! After a few minutes of running in gear at 3000 rpm, the smoke disappeared.

This makes me think that the smoke comes from accumulation of unburned fuel. Maybe the injection is adjusted incorrectly, so that too much fuel is injected at low load conditions. This is bad, isn't it? Called "wet stacking", or something? Can wash oil off the cylinder bores and ruin them?

Or what do you guys think?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote