Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-03-2009, 17:09   #1

Boat: Manta 40- "Savannah"
Amsoil Opinions?

After re-powering recently with two new Volvo D1-30's I decided to give Amsoil a shot at the first oil change. In the automotive groups some claim it is just hype and others swear by it. Does anyone have any experience with the stuff in a marine application?

Old 03-03-2009, 17:54   #2

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
I would hesitate to use any synthetic oil before the engine has had a chance to "break in". In motorcycles and automobiles, the accepted mileage is 15,000 to 18,000 miles. This gives all the components a chance to wear in. Using a synthetic too soon prevents the rings from seating.
I use amsoil in my cars, motorcycles and will use it in my boat when the hours exceed 200 hours.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
You mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Warehouse View Post
After re-powering recently with two new Volvo D1-30's I decided to give Amsoil a shot at the first oil change. In the automotive groups some claim it is just hype and others swear by it. Does anyone have any experience with the stuff in a marine application?
You mean.....Amway Oil..??

There is no need to pay more than you need to. Rotella T is great oil and can be bought at Wal*Mart for dirt cheap. Delo 400 is also a very good C rated oil..

This is an actual photo of my top end and valve cover as removed and un-touched at 2800+ hours of engine use..

She has only ever had conventional Rotella T in her. You really don't need to over think this just change it often and use a "C" rated oil like Rotella T or Delo 400..

Of course if it makes you feel better to buy Amway Oil, and you'll sleep at night, then that is all that matters...
Old 03-03-2009, 19:18   #4

Yeah, that is about the same kind of polarity I see on the automotive sites. Seems like people either love it or hate it. I changed over to Amsoil after the first 50 hours so I guess I'll do my own experiment. I'm hoping it will help the exhaust burn cleaner for less build up in the exhaust elbow among other things. Any one else have first hand experience?
Old 03-03-2009, 20:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Warehouse View Post
I'm hoping it will help the exhaust burn cleaner for less build up in the exhaust elbow among other things. Any one else have first hand experience?
Wishful thinking.... The buildup in the exhaust elbow does not come from the motor oil you use but rather the fuel, the injected water and how you run your engine..

If you've already switched to it stay there but do be sure it is a "C" rated oil for use in diesel engines...

I ran Amsoil in an SCCA sports car for a while and noticed zero benefit and zero difference other than in my wallet. Amsoil used to build a good product but all the big guys have caught up with and in many ways surpassed them so now they rely on a 30+ year old reputation of "way back when"...

It's kind of like Bose. Old Amar is still relying on his technology from 30 years ago and his speakers still sound like crap. Bose much like Amsoil is a good marketing company more so than anything else..
Old 06-03-2009, 17:20   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boy I am reading posts from alot of oil experts I guess, Amsoil is a base 4 oil compared to the Rotella which is only a base 3 oil. Before making an opinion know your oil. I dont understand the post about using 30 year old tech. Amsoil is on top of the market and has devoloped marine oil that will still lube with 10% water contamination. And no not amway.
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:34   #7

Thanks for the positive comments Inlet. I liked the concept of synthetic oils and especially the claims of tolerance for water. I've heard of some people using Amsoil in sail drives because of this since sail drives occasionally become contaminated with water. I'll look into that more next time I change the oil in mine. In the mean time I have a good opportunity to see first if there are any benefits in diesel engines. I switched both main engines at their first service (50 hours) and my old Kubota Generator at 1600 hrs. So far all are purring nicely. Now we wait.

Main Sail, the pics of your top end are nice and Rotella seems to be universally liked but frankly your opinion on Amsoil seems more based on emotion than objectivity. I'd love to see a test as objective as the one you did on LED's a while back. My compliments to you on that one.

Oh, and I love my Bose speakers ; )
Old 13-08-2015, 11:52   #8

Re: Amsoil Opinions?

Yes, I know this is an old thread: I wonder if Sail Warehouse has an updated opinion on using it (if still doing so) after ~6 years.
Old 13-08-2015, 12:23   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Appears to be a decent product line, but you have to remember the company is a multi-level marketing company that just happens to deal in lube products.

Everyone who sells their product, wants to sign you up as a dealer under them so they can take a percent on your sales.

Do I really think they hired more or better engineering talent than the Seven Sisters all did? Or got lucky and discovered "superlube" ?

No, I think they exist to sell marketing opportunities, so the product doesn't interest me. And won't, unless some objective tests prove they found the really truly miraculous superior product.
Old 13-08-2015, 12:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I use Amsoil for diesels in my Cummins marine diesels. The reason is engine longevity and the fact that I can get by with fewer oil changes.

As an aside, I once put Amsoil in my motorcycle (800cc Honda Pacific Coast) which had a wet clutch. The clutch started spinning and not engaging properly. A motorcycle mechanic that you can not do that because the synthetic is too slippery. Cool, that would have been a good thing for the engine itself.

My boat engine of course has a separate engine oil and transmission oil reservoirs.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 13:05   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

As an aside, I once put Amsoil in my motorcycle (800cc Honda Pacific Coast) which had a wet clutch. The clutch started spinning and not engaging properly. A motorcycle mechanic that you can not do that because the synthetic is too slippery. Cool, that would have been a good thing for the engine itself.
Actually I believe that is almost all modern gasoline oils not just synthetics, it's the friction modifiers that cause it, however for whatever reason Diesel oils don't have the modifiers and many motorcyclist have taken to using good Diesel oils in their motorcycles, I use Shell Rotella synthetic in my Husqvarna
Old 13-08-2015, 13:14   #12

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

There are two main benefits to using true synthetic oil (Group 4 / Poly-Alpha-Olefin based). This is it in a nutshell but for a better read go to this link.....All About Motor Oil

1. Engine starting and operation in extreme temperatures. Group 4 oils have lower pour point temperatures and maintain viscosity at higher temp than group 3 oils so require fewer additives, viscosity modifiers etc. Tje flash point is higher as well so there is less oil burned creating less carbon. This is more important to air cooled motorcycles than other applications but shouldn't be ignored.

2. Group 4 oil has no wax or other impurities that may have escaped the complex refining process group 3 oils must go through so will typically leave fewer deposits inside your engine.

For marine applications using group 4 oil gives rather minimal advantages over group 3, but if you do an oil change once a year the cost difference is not huge either. I use group 4 oil in all my engines as the difference in price for an oil change is about that of a good bar tab.

Fred

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: