Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 13:50   #76
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Re: Am I totally Screwed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You guys touting copper washers seem to have missed or ignored the fact that this engine uses aluminum crush washers that are one time use only.
Yes. The washers that are in there are aluminum. That was the first thing that the mechanic mentioned. He was convinced someone used the wrong washers, and possibly even the wrong banjo bolt because of the play. Sounds like I might be able to get away with new washers and banjos after all. Then investigate the gaskets.

One other thing interesting, is about screwing the bolt in too far. He seemed to think that the bolt was too short, but it would indeed have screwed up the spinning guts of the pump if screwed in too far. Thankfully we didn't damage the guts. Whew.

Also, each bolt had two aluminum washers. Do they normally take two?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:03   #77

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Each banjo bolt takes two washers one on each side of the line the stud that you showed a picture of takes one and they should be aluminum not copper the copper is thinner and crushes more.
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:07   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot45 View Post
Each banjo bolt takes two washers one on each side of the line the stud that you showed a picture of takes one and they should be aluminum not copper the copper is thinner and crushes more.
Thanks. Yes that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 14-01-2013, 07:03   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Another thought to have in the back of your head... I once took my whole injection system out and bench tested it to find a problem (fuel contamination from PO). It is quite a simple procedure really.... You would have no problems finding a leak if it persisted after this next go around... Let me know if you need my input on how I did it...

BTW... Where are you in MdR???? My boat is on Bali right next to the hotel....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 13:08   #80
Marine Service Provider

I'm at Marina City Club, just below The Ritz on 2800 dock.
Old 14-01-2013, 14:23   #81

Gents,

I'd recommend CC Marine services, tell Karl Jeremy from Cerulean sent ya (they even arrive early!!!).

We've had very good experience with them (elec, plumbing and mechanical/engine).

Note: I'm in C-Basin right next to you two!

-Jer
Old 14-01-2013, 14:30   #82
Marine Service Provider

Called CC Marine and they said they couldn't help. They said they haven't made parts for my engine in 20 years. I'll call again just in case I got someone had a brain fart.
Old 14-01-2013, 14:31   #83
Marine Service Provider

I was told by one shop to bring the parts down, but if possible, I'd just like to have them sent to me rather drive down to Long Beach from Sherman Oaks just to show them, then again to pick them up. I plan to do that tomorrow, if I can't find a source of parts for that CAV pump.
Old 14-01-2013, 14:56   #84
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

You dont need marine services, You need to bring the pump to a diesel pump and injector shop. They will easily be able to round up the few parts you need. Transatlantic diesel on the east coast might do pumps. A pump shop that deals with old tractors and such would be a good start, I dont think that those pumps are on much new stuff. The right pump shop is probably in the middle of the country, so take if off and mail it out. Be sure to get insurance. Theres a big diesel place that deals with westerbeke, torsen marine? they have ads in good old boat and other mags.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:07   #85
Marine Service Provider

I was referred to a place called Dumas Diesel in Long Beach. They want me to bring the parts in and couldn't source the pump part number. I left another message for CC marine. They rarely answer their phone. My mechanic doesn't want to remove the pump, and insists it can repaired in place, and that it's a lot of time to remove it because of everything that is in the way. I'd remove it myself but I'm not very comfortable with that and would prefer to leave that to a pro.
Old 14-01-2013, 15:08   #86

Boat: Sceptre 41

I stripped out a bolt that holds my injection pump bolt to the engine on a Kubota 7 HP engine. It is a small one cylinder engine. I was using a 1/4" drive socket and felt the bolt give way and stopped immediately. After looking into a number of different ways to fix it I came across a Permatex product. Thread Repair : Permatex® Stripped Thread Repair Kit I can't say, from experience, whether it leaks or not but it is something to look into.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:23   #87

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
I was referred to a place called Dumas Diesel in Long Beach. They want me to bring the parts in and couldn't source the pump part number. I left another message for CC marine. They rarely answer their phone. My mechanic doesn't want to remove the pump, and insists it can repaired in place, and that it's a lot of time to remove it because of everything that is in the way. I'd remove it myself but I'm not very comfortable with that and would prefer to leave that to a pro.
Here's what you might want to do? If you can take the pump parts that you need to replace then go to Dumas. Get all the information you can about the pump and take a photos too so that you can show them what you are doing. Get several crush washers for spares and the parts that you need.

I think that you are lucky that you can drive to a place that you can get some help. I would have to fly from here to find a good diesel pump shop. I've also dealt with a mainland company in Portland to do the pump. At any rate a Bosch pump rebuild was $850. Yours, I believe, will be much cheaper if you need to rebuild. I suspect that all you need to do is replace the parts that are dorked up and you'll have a good running diesel again.
Old 14-01-2013, 15:38   #88

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I will second Trans Atlantic Diesels in Virginia if you need anything for a Perkins. They regularly ship all over the world and have always had every part I've needed for a Perkins. Very helpful too.
Old 14-01-2013, 17:24   #89

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Hey if you want I can give you all the part # for what you need or get them for you and send them ups for my cost plus shiping if that helps out of the shop until wensday you can call at 231-893-3306 ask for Bret
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 07:13   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I think you gotta bite the bullet and spend 1/2 a day running around matching your new banjo fasteners... Any IP repair/service place should have them in a dusty corner.... From experience, the "what if-worst case" when dealing with these dinosaurs is far worse than just doing... BTW... I think you are capable of doing far more work yourself than you give credit for... It isn't rocket science... Just careful step by step documented procedures...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote