Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 06:12   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Am I being cheap and/or stupid?

Alberg 30 repower on Atom voyages: (he may have ended up with a 9.9hp?)

Atom Voyages - 1972 Alberg 30 Refit - Part One (Exterior)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:09   #62

Boat: Catalina 30

My C30 came with no motor and an outboard slung on it. After having a C27 with an factory OB well that worked very nicely I have to say the C30 withe the slung on back setup was pretty poor by comparison both in looks and performance.

Bought 2 separate Atomic4 motors from people that listened to the diesels are the thing crowd for $400 combined, took both down to the block and had the better one resleeved and cleaned for $800. I am just now finishing putting it back together with about $200 of new bits ( gaskets, rings, bolts) will be dropping it into the boat next week, $1400 or so in and basically a new motor.

Better than an outboard, but a lot of work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424272172.620661.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	97374

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-02-2015, 16:35   #63

Boat: H36

Waves in channels is your only problem. Outboards are great on a 22' boat but the long the boat the higher the stern will pitch out of the water. Once the prop cavities it is some time before it will bit in again. Converts to electric would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 17:27   #64

Boat: Corbin 39

My 1974 morgan 27 has had an outboard it's entire life. Way more maneuverable than an inboard. If I need to I can reach back and turn it and my boat will turn on a dime. yah if it's blowing 25 and the seas are big it may pop out from time to time but it's still manageable. I usually take the main down first start the motor and surf into the pier heads under headsail if the seas are big. As soon as I'm in protected water I roller furl in the headsail and put the outboard in gear.

My new four stroke sipps a third of the gas as the old 2 stroke. Mechanics told me the Yamahas had the most trouble with ethanol so it was between the Honda or the Tohatsu. Honda is heavier and cost more, but has 12 amp alternator. I went with the Tohatsu and have had no regrets.

I recommend getting an outboard and an autopilot with the money saved.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 17:29   #65

Boat: Pearson 323

I think I'm going to use an outboard temporarily and test its capabilities/limitations. But the electric engine idea has definitely intrigued me. I thought I would find a lot more conversion stories and recommendations, but thus far my searches haven't produced too much. I like the idea of a kit. The shaft and prop are still connected and in the water. I saw the kits a Google search turns up (thunderbolt, electric yachts, bluefin, etc) are there any others I should be looking at? Are there any partial stores that sell them or does this all have to be done online.
Yogiyo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:23   #66

Boat: Corbin 39

You're going to find the electric idea very cool but expensive. The electric motors need higher voltage meaning a different battery bank and a dc to dc converter for your 12 volt loads. Hi tech batteries also will increase charge efficiency and reduce weigh. No doubt it's the wave of the future but still expensive today. I think Torqedo makes an inboard set up now to go with their line of electric outboards. That's where I would start if I had the money to burn. I've used one of their original outboards on a dinghy and it was great as long as you didn't try to get on plane.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 21:44   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Electric drive is for those not going anywhere. Batteries just can't store enough energy to take you very far unless you buy the ultra high tech variety or steal the drive system out of your neighbors Prius on a dark night. Typically, battery storage capacity won't get you more than 50 miles for normal cruise in flat water. If you get in nasty conditions and run the motor at maxx, you can count the longevity in minutes. Of course, you can put in a Generator, tanks, etc and charge the batteries as you go. If you are going to do that , might as well stick with a diesel inboard and be done with it.

Couple spent years putting together a really trick electric boat. All sorts of generating capacitty from solar, a generator off the oversized prop, wind, etc. Got into some nasty weather 50 miles offshore and decided to run back to harbor which was dead upwind. Tried motor sailing to beat into the wind and waves but soon exhausted the batteries. Was such a bad experience they sold the boat. 10 gallons of diesel would have gotten them back in hours not the days that it took them to sail against wind, waves and tide.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 00:16   #68

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The only real issue/question is how to couple your prop shaft to the motor.
If you can post a pic of what it looks like, could help figure it out.
Parting out an old golf cart is the cheapest way for sure, it would come with the motor, shaft, solenoids and cables and controller and throttle.
The kits sold are not cheap and of course are for brand new components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiyo42 View Post
I think I'm going to use an outboard temporarily and test its capabilities/limitations. But the electric engine idea has definitely intrigued me. I thought I would find a lot more conversion stories and recommendations, but thus far my searches haven't produced too much. I like the idea of a kit. The shaft and prop are still connected and in the water. I saw the kits a Google search turns up (thunderbolt, electric yachts, bluefin, etc) are there any others I should be looking at? Are there any partial stores that sell them or does this all have to be done online.
Old 19-02-2015, 02:35   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
Lots of advantages to an OB. Everything, motor, shaft, prop is all in one package. Can stand it on your deck when performing maintenance. Can carry it off for repairs. Late model OB's are super fuel efficient, our 35' boat is pushed along drinking 1.1 L/hr (@ 3 knots & 6hp Tohatsu). It can still dig an anchor in. I think you'll find power to burn with a 10hp on 32' boat.

The disadvantages are luxury issues, don't need remote control, as boats move so slowly there's time to do everything, including stepping back and fiddling with the throttle. The only minus is cavitation in a seaway, but that doesn't have to matter as it's a SAIL boat after all. Some people cruise permanently with an OB hanging off the transom using it just as you propose.

(Also my better half is asthmatic, and wouldn't tolerate an engine in the living area)
Just wondering what type of boat you have and what your displacement is?
I'm in the similar situation (boat?) to the OP.

I've got a 35ft 14000 lb centerboarder (fairly easily driven hull). The previous owner never fitted an engine.

I'm tossing up between:
A - buying a new tohatsu 6hp longshaft sailpower outboards (the bigger ones are kinda pricey new...),

or:
B: - getting a second hand longshaft 9.9 of 15hp motor (one of the high thrust or sailpower models).

I guess it's a trade-off of reliability/weight vs more power (I need the motor mostly for getting in/out of harbors/anchorages)

sorry for the thread hijacking...
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 06:18   #70

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Electric drive is for those not going anywhere. Batteries just can't store enough energy to take you very far unless you buy the ultra high tech variety or steal the drive system out of your neighbors Prius on a dark night. Typically, battery storage capacity won't get you more than 50 miles for normal cruise in flat water. If you get in nasty conditions and run the motor at maxx, you can count the longevity in minutes. Of course, you can put in a Generator, tanks, etc and charge the batteries as you go. If you are going to do that , might as well stick with a diesel inboard and be done with it.
Why do you have to spoil everyone's fun and bring reality into the discussion?

You are absolutely right.
Old 19-02-2015, 06:39   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ref tiller steering and an outboard.

Silly question, but would it be that hard to have a tie rod between the two, so that you steered the tiller and outboard together?
Works OK with an outboard RUDDER, like on a Catalina 25. The Pearson has the rudder underneath the hull.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:34   #72

Boat: Sabre 28

The Tohatsu outboards have a kit available to allow you to attach remote throttle and gear shift to them. I'd hook that up to pedestal controls for greater ease of use. I think the only think you can't do remotely (except for the true remote models) is the choke. For a pull start 6hp Sailpro (great engine) that isn't a problem but could be slightly annoying if you had an electric start engine.

I don't know the quality of the engines but some of the high thrust Mercury models have most of the controls, including shifting, right on the tiller. If you used the outboard to steer, while docking, the shifter right there would be easier.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:21   #73

Boat: sabre 28

Electric is pretty cool but it does come with limitations. If you can live with those limitations, why not? There are people out there cruising that have electric boats & there's no disputing that fact. It all boils down to what works for you, not someone else.

Electric Yacht does have a DIY kit but you need to go with the MN? site, not the Cal site. I've read many folks have also used the Thunderbolt kit & seem happy with them. Electroprop is another company that is supposed to have a good product but the price is up there with Elco.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:24   #74

Boat: Paceship 29

I just finished an electric conversion on a 6500 lb., 29 footer.
I suggest if you are going outboard, use a cheap (2 stroke) Saildrive with an external tank. A 9.9 hp can be made into a 15hp.
For when your outboard is inadequate, have a 7kw or less electric motor on your old drive shaft and use both at the same time. Golf Cart simplicity, running two belted pulleys.
Saildrive can act as a generator if necessary.
Dual propulsion so one can fail.
I had a 3.5hp, 2 and 4 stroke on my J22, and I preferred the 2 stroke.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:10   #75

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why do you have to spoil everyone's fun and bring reality into the discussion?

You are absolutely right.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap