Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 17:30   #16

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Yes, Sabb. Used on Norwegian fishing boats, one cylinder or two on the old ones. Comes with a variable pitch prop, which is good, 'cuz on the boat I was on that had one the throttle was down below.
The engine is - well, robust. It doesn't need a starter (or alternator, or battery), you prime the thing with a little package of powder (gunpowder?) like a flintlock and then ignite it to turn the motor over - no kidding!! Looks like an old Newcomen or Watt steam engine.
More elegant models came with "an electrics" package so one could have running lights. I don't think a Sabb has ever been mated with a 100A alternator before...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingoman View Post
Hello Folks,
My surveyor noted my alternator (100 amp) was too large for my saab 2h deisel, and that it would "side load engine causing seal to leak" and cause "excessive belt wear". What does side loading mean, and what seals do you think he means?? Thanks, Dingoman
My 10hp Volvo has a 60 amp alternator standard from the factory. 100 amp is fine for the engine. As others have said the issue could be the belt. A belt that slips wears quickly. The tendency is to tighten it too much.

Keep an eye on the belt, look for black "soot" being spread on the engine cover in line with the belt. Buy the best belt you can.

Don't worry about the engine. 18 horses is plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Not to hijack this thread......but I have asked this in another thread before, and could not obtain a definative answer.
How can I determine how many amps my alternator is capable of delivering? I believe that I have a 90 amp alternator, but I can not tell how many amps it is delivering. Also, how do you tell if it has an internal regulator??
Get the number off of it and google the P/N. That tells you capacity.

For what it is "actually" delivering you need an ammeter and it will depend on what the system needs at the time.

If there is no external regulator it is internally regulated. Look for wires going to a small box from the alternator. Also the P/N lookup will also tell you once you find the spec.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:00   #18

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah
Hi, I have six deep cell batteries. I might send the company a wire just to see, but I think this set up has been used for awhile now?????? Thanks for all the excellent feedback.
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 04:29   #19

Re: Alternator Size Too Large for Saab 2H ?

My first post. I know of a boat which has the 30 HP Sabb and it has a 135 Amp alternator with two belts. Also on the same engine is a 4500 Watt generator with two belts. Also variable pitched prop. I'm thinking of buying this boat!
shetferbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 05:00   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

wow a reply to a thread that has been dead for 3.5 years, how did you even find it?
Old 25-03-2014, 05:13   #21

I was searching to get info on Sabb engines.
Old 25-03-2014, 05:15   #22

I was searching for info on Sabb engines.

Tags
alternator, saab