Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 05:30   #1

Alternator idles at zero

I have a Yanmar 3jh4e witha a Balmar alternator that reads zero when idleing but come back up when running. Belt is tight and connections seem good. Any ideas?
pisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:35   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Alternator idles at zero

What exactly does "zero" and "come back up" refer to? If current, then yes, this is normal. There is minimum alternator speed necessary for output at any given voltage. Idle speeds rarely are enough for this - and if it was, the alternator load would probably stall it or cause governing issues. You could decrease the engine rpm necessary for full output by changing to a smaller alternator pulley.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisail View Post
I have a Yanmar 3jh4e witha a Balmar alternator that reads zero when idleing but come back up when running. Belt is tight and connections seem good. Any ideas?

Fairly normal for high output alternators. You are simply below the cut-in speed.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:19   #4

Sorry I wasn't very clear, the tach reads zero until I rev it up and it is alternator driven
pisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:51   #5

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

When your alt is turning slow it will not put out any power, this includes the power (or signal) used by the tach. I have a similar problem, except that my alt rarely puts out enough signal for the tach to work at all. I am working on a photo sensor to get the tach working.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:56   #6

Also happens if your battery bank is full. Were you plugged into shorepower?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Normal for balmar regulators.

Turn on some loads (lights etc) to cause the regulator to kick on. You should see the tach read at that point.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:17   #8

What regulator do you have? Most the time this issue is the regulator doesn't kick in. It's normal on many.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 08:33   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisail View Post
If you have a programmable alternator regulator you may be able to change the programming to activate your alternator driven tach at lower RPMs/alternator output.

As an example, we have a similar condition with our tachs (two tachs driven off the same alternator...)

e.g., We programmed our Balmar regulator to delay 45 seconds after engine start before initiating a slow [60 second] ramp-up of alternator output. During the 45 second delay period, the tachs read zero, but the trade-off is worth it to us. [i.e., We don't want a 120amp alternator to start putting out maximum current to a depleted battery bank immediately upon engine start...]

The tachs always provide readouts once the start-up delay period is over no matter how small the output is from the alternator.

Good luck working this out.

Cheers!
Old 23-04-2015, 15:12   #10

I have an old boat with old lehmans and had similar issue on one engine. I suspected the regulator, but it was no longer in production, so swapped the alternator and now have current out at low RPM. Under $200. (my tachs are hall effect running off a sender, so that wasn't my issue.)
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator