Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 22:54   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Alternatives to Vetus Waterlock?

Two years ago when I started smelling diesel exhaust inside the boat I found that the seam in my plastic Vetus Waterlock LP50R had split. I bought and installed a new Waterlock (and a carbon monoxide monitor). Today while installing new exhaust hose I found ... a split in the seam of the 2-year-old Vetus Waterlock. I would prefer not to throw more money at this unreliable product, but the available recess in the bilge won't accept anything much larger or shaped differently. And I'm pretty much stuck with this orientation for the inlet and outlet hoses.

Anyone know of a suitable alternative?

Thanks,
Alii
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 23:31   #2

Re: Alternatives to Vetus Waterlock?

Wrap it in GRP about $20. Question, where was the water going?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 23:36   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I had one of these in the last boat:

It's still a Vetus but isn't the same cheapish plastic as the fixed type.

I'd be a little suspect on your back pressure post waterlock, as I don't think this is that common an issue. Does your exhaust dip far below the waterline?

I guess a possible solution is to custom fabricate or even lay a couple of layers of resin and fibreglass over the damaged unit.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 23:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Another vote for the swiveling Vetus water lock. I fitted one when I repowered 6 years and 2,000 hours ago. Fit and forget.
Old 07-01-2015, 00:35   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There was a NZ product that was almost identical in form and function to the "old" Vetus waterlock. I don't know it's name or if they still make them but mine is going strong after several years service.

Maybe google knows more
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22   #6

Glad to hear you've had better luck with the canister style Vetus waterlocks -- but I just don't have the room, vertically or horizontally.

I considered glassing over the cracks when the prior waterlock failed 2 years ago, but what do you do, glass over the entire thing? How can you trust any seam once one starts to open? Not my preferred course.

In both cases the cracks have been caught before they have actually split open -- no exhaust water in the boat.

The current waterlock is still under warranty. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the lead on the NZ option. I vaguely remember looking at that when in NZ back in 2004, don't recall why I didn't take that route then ...
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50   #7

Actually, I can't fix this crack with fiberglass -- it is in the collar around the rotating hose inlet, where the hose clamp seats.

The waterlock is about a foot under the waterline. My set-up is virtually identical to one of the recommended systems illustrated in the Vetus manual.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Centek Industries makes a fiberglass wet exhaust. It's possible that one of their models might fit. If not, thay ,ay be willing to make a custom system.

I found the Vetus waterlock very reliable, as long there is water flow. If the water flow stops for any reason, it will melt in no time at all, well before your engine overheats. A water flow sensor and alarm are highly recommended.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Do you use a hump hose?

From Defender:

Marine Hump Hose on Sale
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10   #10

my opinion is send it back to vetus and they will send you a new one for free. this should not have happened. there are companies tht make FRP units of bout he same dimension if you are s inclined
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54   #11

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I suffered with Plastic exhausts in my last boat. Once flooding to floor level !

New cat has custom made ,aluminium water trap and exhaust boxes. With care , can be fabricated to fit exactly, made to a generous capacity and for long life , coated internally with numerous coats of suitable grade epoxy.

Now in services 5 years. and because they are easy to access- condition is easily monitored.

Important to have rubber exhaust hose , either side , to control vibration.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05   #12

Buy a good Fiberglass waterlock and avoid those plastic ones. There are several companies out there. They are easy to modify if you need an elbow etc those are available also.
http://www.centekindustries.com/vernaliftgroup.html

Wow BobFord... I'm amazed aluminum worked that well for you... I cant think of a worse environment for aluminum... Than hot acidic exhaust.... Just goes to show you... ya never know!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48   #13

Boat: C&C 34, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Centek Industries makes a fiberglass wet exhaust. It's possible that one of their models might fit. If not, thay ,ay be willing to make a custom system.

I found the Vetus waterlock very reliable, as long there is water flow. If the water flow stops for any reason, it will melt in no time at all, well before your engine overheats. A water flow sensor and alarm are highly recommended.
I too use a Centek for the past 10 years without an issue. It is larger than the Vetus which may be an issue.
Truemettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

I also have minimum head space in the bilge for a Vetus Waterlock. After the original plastic one crapped out I had one built by a machinist out of stainless which didn't hold up well. The welds corroded through, (poor rods?) probably due to the acidic mixture of diesel exhaust and sea water. Had it re-welded a couple of times and finally decide to make my own. Made a mold from 1/8 inch plywood to fit loosely in my boat's irregular shaped and sloped bilge. Left enough room around the mold for 8-10 layer of glass. Carefully measured the quantity of exhaust water backflow when the engine is turned off. Built the thing to hold at least twice as much water as was likely to backflow. Laid it up using PVC pipe for connections, the outside diameter of which was a match for my 2" wet exhaust hose. Glassed in a hard point flange on both ends on top, tapped these our for 1/4x20 SS machine screws and mounted it under the cabin sole. Still works great after 10 years.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 19:58   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I can't help but wonder if (at a minimum) you'd gain some knowledge of the situation, as well as other viable options, if you were to send out several job bid requests(including description & history), to several different marine service providers.
That, & have you tried scouring the catalogs of companies which make all varieties of marine exhaust hose?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water