Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2015, 21:26   #16

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Alternatives to Vetus Waterlock?

In case you don't know... Centek has a substantial semi-custom shop.

If you have dimensions that you know will fit, or could spare your cracked Vetus muffler, get in touch with them and see what the cost would be to have a fiberglass version made to those dimensions... Or better yet send them your current muffler with the hose angles marked out so you know it will fit.

Sometimes no better template, is the part that fits the spot... but doesn't quite do the job up to snuff.

Cheers,

Zach

Old 08-01-2015, 03:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

If you're handy working with fiberglass you could build your own using the Vetus as the sample.

I too have a Vetus due to the tight space available. I wanted a Cemtek but all the 4" models were too big to fit in.

I would use sheet 1/4" G10 material and FG exhaust tubing for the in/outlets. Cut and epoxy it all together. Then wrap it in a layer of 10 oz. FG leaving the tubes ends alone. This it what I'll do if my ever Vetus gets damaged.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor_complete2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	95136  

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:08   #18

Boat: Jonmeri 40

So many great ideas ... but so little time to pursue them. I would love a custom-made G10 version, preferably built by Centek but I would give it my best if necessary. As a full-time liveaboard, itching to get out of this filthy yard in Malaysia, needing to run the engine ASAP to back out of the slip and cool the beer, I will keep these notes so I'm prepared to replace my "new" Vetus waterlock if necessary.

Luckily, I bought the current one from Defender, and as in so many prior instances of warranty claims Defender has come through with flying colors. The 3-year Vetus warranty requires that you submit your claim to the seller. In less than 24 hours, based only on a fuzzy photo of the split seam, Defender secured Vetus' agreement to provide a warranty replacement -- in time to add to a pending order so there are no extra charges for international shipping -- and to forego any requirement that I send the defective unit back.

So the good news -- I'll have another waterlock and should be able to run the engine (with it's new exhaust temperature monitor) in a couple of weeks. The bad news -- it's another plastic Vetus. But at least it's plug-and-play, and I'm better prepared for the next episode.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I'm glad you have good news about this. Pay attention on how much vibration it is taking, or if it is static and the engine is vibrating. It seems that the two cracks could be due to this "out of sync" vibration - a hump hose would probably solve that. Also, the length of the rubber hose from the engine to the waterlock, if its too short it could put a lot of pressure (again, vibration) on the neck of the waterlock. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2015, 15:31   #20

I hope I still have good news. Now Vetus-NL and Vetus-US are pointing fingers at each other about who will do what, whether, why, etc. Perhaps they don't want me to remain a customer, are purposely giving me time to work out an alternative.

On this haul-out we have done everything we could think of to eliminate vibration: new cutless bearing, new Autostream prop, shaft confirmed true, AquaDrive serviced and aligned, new engine mounts, Yanmar extensively overhauled including servicing of FI pump. Length of hose from exhaust elbow to Waterlock is 2 meters, now up-graded from the industrial oil suction hose they use in AUS to Trident's top marine exhaust hose. All connected with all-stainless T-bolts, set with a torque wrench to avoid any over-tightening.

BTW, on the Web I did find the NZ-made muffler mentioned earlier: "Black."
Old 08-01-2015, 17:08   #21

Delmarrey, am I correct that G10 is not entirely impermiable? Would your DIY G10 muffler need some kind of barrier coat, inside and out?
Old 08-01-2015, 19:07   #22
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii View Post
I.......tightening.

BTW, on the Web I did find the NZ-made muffler mentioned earlier: "Black."
Yep, it's black!

Have you any other detail or link.

I got mine from Boating Hardware (Prosail) in Perth, Western Australia. If you need one, get in touch with Chris (one of the owners) and if they still exist, I'm sure he could help out. They do international sales.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 20:23   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii View Post
Delmarrey, am I correct that G10 is not entirely impermiable? Would your DIY G10 muffler need some kind of barrier coat, inside and out?
G10 is just epoxy and FG constructed under a press. Basically die formed into sheets or other shapes. It shouldn't be any more impermeable then regular epoxy constructions.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:58   #24
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yep, it's black!
And now Blue as well!
I saw one in the local chandlery today.
It's made (or sold) by RWB Marine and the P/N is RWB1967.
Polyprop construction with 50mm hose tails, local price is $99.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have Halyard mufflers and water separators on my boat. I don't know if they are sold in the U.S. or not. They are GRP and very robust -- maybe worth a look.

They are original fitment to Oyster, HR, and other European high end boats.

Products

My very boat (not a sister ship) appears in the Halyard brochure!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20   #26

Thanks, Wotname. Here is the link I found:

Black Exhaust Water Lock / Muffler- 40/45/50mm (3 sizes in 1) | SmartMarine

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: