Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 14:30   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Albin AD2

My friend's Albin AD2 has a different cooling pump than is pictured in the instruction manual.

Anyone out there have an original cooling pump with a built in bilge pump that can explain its operation?

kind regards,
Old 05-04-2011, 15:06   #2

Boat: Alberg Odyssey 30
Re: Albin AD2

I have an AD-2 in my Alberg Odyssey, with the original coolant pump. The pump as originally designed has two impellers, one pulls raw water in and the other acts as the bilge pump.

A heat exchanger was added to my engine and the bilge pump section of the water pump was converted to circulate the coolant in the heat exchanger. I can send pic if you need it.

In case you haven't seen it, the Albin Motor website sells parts and has free listings of parts catalogs, operators manuals, and workshop manuals.
JoeFdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 22:33   #3

That is very helpful. Thank you very much. I would suspect that the pump you have has two inlets and two outlets?
If you have some photos of the plumbing to your heat exchanger that would be extremely helpful. Is your heat exchanger one that is mounted on the top front of your engine?
kind regards,
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40   #4

No problem, happy to help keep these good old motors thumping along. You can see pictures in the link below. The heat exchanger is a Bowman unit mounted to the front of the motor. The coolant pump has two inlets and two outlets.

The pictures show the motor when I bought the boat. I've since replaced the stuffing box, prop shaft, exhaust elbow, hoses, etc. Deferred maintenance on the stuffing box made the job much bigger than it should have been and I had to cut the shaft.

Joe

https://picasaweb.google.com/jfride/...IOsm8Wg0_O4Zg#
Old 06-04-2011, 14:08   #5

Thanks a bunch. My friend has his engine in a Yorktown 36 and it had been sitting out of the water for many years. We got it to fire up and ran it for about 3 minutes the other day so now are looking for ways to clean up all the hoses and make certain the cooling system is plumbed properly.
There is one hose/pipe that goes to the back end and bottom of the exhaust manifold. I'm hoping that just circulates water through the engine and doesn't actually go into the exhaust intself. Do any research on that one?
We still have the PO in the area to consult about the engine but he's forgotten quite a bit.
Thanks for all your help.
kind regards,
Old 02-09-2012, 20:13   #6

Aloha all,
This is a great engine. We got the boat in the water recentely, "Erika", a Yorktown 36 just recently and sailed last Friday. Owner invited me to shakedown.
Unfortunately there was no hose clamp on one of the fuel hoses to the fuel pump and the engine died as we were making our way around a mooring.
Then, what happened is a classic in what not to do. I knew better but forgot and the whole thing was a tragedy for awhile. We sailed around the mooring field a few times while sorting out what to do next. The owner and a sailing friend were below trying to start the engine. I convinced the owner to just climb in the dinghy and hold up the mooring lines and I'd sail in and our crew could catch them. Worked like a charm. What didn't work like a charm was trying to get the engine started after mooring.
Owner and crew had cranked the engine a couple of times to fire it up. It started and then quit. After mooring we started to bleed the fuel filters and found we were not getting any fuel to the #1 injector. Decided to stop trying but too late we had already pumped seawater through the exhaust valve and into the air intake.
We had not turned off the seawater cooling seacock when cranking the engine to bleed the injectors.
More later!!!!
kind regards,
Old 02-09-2012, 22:33   #7

Aloha all,
This is a great engine.
We got the boat in the water recently, "Erika", a Yorktown 36 just recently and sailed last Friday. Owner invited me to shakedown.
Unfortunately there was no hose clamp on one of the fuel hoses to the fuel pump and the engine died as we were making our way around a mooring because air was introduced into the fuel system.
Then, what happened is a classic in what not to do. I knew better but forgot and the whole thing was a tragedy for awhile. We sailed around the mooring field a few times while sorting out what to do next. The owner and a sailing friend were below bleeding and trying to start the engine. I convinced the owner to just climb in the dinghy and hold up the mooring lines and I'd sail in and our crew could catch them. Worked like a charm. What didn't work like a charm was trying to get the engine started after mooring.
Owner and crew had cranked the engine a couple of times to fire it up. It started and then quit immediately. After mooring we started to bleed the fuel filters and found we were not getting any fuel to the #1 injector. Decided to stop trying but only after it was too late. We had already pumped seawater through the exhaust valves and into the air intake. This is what I forgot, we had not closed the seawater cooling seacock when cranking the engine to bleed the injectors.
The rest of the story!
Crew and I went ashore while owner did a few things to the engine. He took the air cleaner and intake manifold off and took off the water pump hoses and blew as much water out of them as he could. I called him and suggested he spray WD40 in the air intake while turning the engine over by hand (using compression release).
The next day we rowed out to the boat, Bled the fuel system including the side of the injector pump, top of the injector pump and the injectors and made certain fuel was going to the injectors. We did not open the cooling water seacock at this point. We spun the engine with the compression release lever open then close it and it fired. We immediately shut it down. Then we check all oil levels to make certain no water was in any lubrication oil and opened the seacock for cooling water. We then spun the engine closed the compression release lever and it fired and we ran it for 5-10 minutes checking cooling water and temperature as well as oil pressure. All was ok.
We got very lucky indeed!
This engine has a direct seawater cooling system.
As I said, this is a great little two cylinder diesel engine. Very simple and can be hand started easily.
kind regards,
Old 06-09-2012, 17:24   #8

Sounds like things worked out fine!

I really like the hand-crank feature, helpful for turning things over to get oil spread around if the boat has been sitting a while.

I recently pulled my cooling pump and heat exchanger off for servicing, pics and story linked here in case your friend wants to modify the motor for freshwater cooling: Sailing-Boats

The motor's been dead reliable for me with just routine maintenance.