Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2015, 06:20   #16

Re: Air lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Here is the 4-108 bleed drill:
1. Fill the Racor or equiv. with fuel.
2. Loosen the following:
- Bleed bolt on the top of the on- engine fine filter, or the return line banjo bolt if no bleed bolt.
- governor bleed bolt on the injection pump body ( directly below the throttle actuator arm/ cable attachment)
- fuel return line attachment nut between the high pressure lines at the aft end ( high pressure end) of the injection pump.

3. Using the hand primer pump ( lift pump) lever, pump fuel until air free fuel comes out of the bleed bolt on the fine filter, then close the bleed bolt or tighten the banjo bolt. If no fuel comes out, rotate the crankshaft one turn to get the lift pump off its drive cam lobe.
4. Move to the injection pump and continue pumping with the lift pump until air free fuel comes out of the bleed fitting on the inj. Pump body. Tighten the bleed fitting.
5. Continue pumping with the lift pump until air free fuel comes out of the return line attachment at the high pressure end of the inj. Pump, then tighten up that nut as well.
6. Give the lift pump another 2 dozen strokes just for good measure.
7. Loosen the high pressure injection lines at the injectors, put the throttle lever to full throttle, make sure the stop cable is not pulled, and crank the engine over with the starter motor. Do this for 8 or 10 seconds at a time until fuel spurts from the high pressure lines at the injectors. Stop cranking and tighten the high pressure line nuts at the injectors. The engine is now ready to start. Leaving the throttle setting at full throttle, crank the engine and it should start. If not, repeat all of the above!

If it still won't start, and you flatten your batteries, you can follow the advice in the Perkins Operator manual and " look to your flare locker".

DougR
For years I followed this procedure for bleeding the 4-108 after changing filters, however over the past several years I've been successful in ridding the system of air by just stopping at step 3 above and not messing with the high pressure injection pump or the high pressure line nuts at the injectors.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:14   #17

Boat: Westsail32
Send a message via Skype™ to storyinframes

Yes I am glad @GILow that it was not in the ocean. That would have ruined my day. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 09:15   #18

Boat: Westsail32
Send a message via Skype™ to storyinframes

@DougR thanks for the detailed point wise procedure. Will remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: