Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:00   #1

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
air filter for volvo penta md2030

Does anyone have any good ideas of replacing the air filter that comes on the md 2030 by Volvo Penta. It is such a flimsy filter consisting of only a sock of soft foam. Is there an aftermarket filter that would be more worthy of this engine and perhaps allow more air into it?

I recently bought my boat and this sock literally fell apart in my hands......on a young engine(900 hours).

many thanks
david pollitt
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:40   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
David, I have the same problem, but don't have a solution yet. I've been thinking about making a wire cage that could be covered with filter material. At least it would provide some support for the fragile foam. Perhaps some heavy solid copper wire would work. It would be easy to bend and won't rust.

New subject: have you had any problems with Volvo raw water impellers? I have been going thru them 2 or 3 times a year and they shed blades when they fail. Finally, I switched to a Jabsco impeller which is slightly bigger, but they last a lot longer.
Old 08-10-2008, 18:45   #3

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Greg,
I have not had my boat very long and its on the dry now for 5 months...no experience regarding impellers...but its interesting that you use a jabsco and slightly larger one and it works better....must keep that in m ind. Would you mind telling me the part number of the Jabsco. I notice in the spare parts cache the previous owner had....that there are volvo impellers and jabsco...so I would be interested to know if the jabsco ones are the ones you are using with greater success

thanks alot.

one the filter.....was hoping to find a sort of K and H type filter. The sort of after market filters that K and H makes for motorcycles.

thanks again
david
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 16:39   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollitt View Post
Greg,
I have not had my boat very long and its on the dry now for 5 months...no experience regarding impellers...but its interesting that you use a jabsco and slightly larger one and it works better....must keep that in m ind. Would you mind telling me the part number of the Jabsco. I notice in the spare parts cache the previous owner had....that there are volvo impellers and jabsco...so I would be interested to know if the jabsco ones are the ones you are using with greater success

david
David, The Jabsco part number for the impeller is 18673-0001. The width is the same, but the length of the blades is slightly longer. When I put it in, the blades have to be bent a little more, but the Jabsco impellers work fine and last much longer. I only got about 3 mos out of one of the Volvo impellers and it shed 2 blades which I had to find in the heat exchanger. I think the rubber is substandard. On my previous boat, impellers would last at least a year and never shed blades.
Old 09-10-2008, 17:19   #5

I went to Autozone and found a simple air filter housing and filter that has about a 3" hole. I believe it's for a two barrel carb. It fit the rubber intake hose with no problem and the paper filter does not break apart and get ingested in the motor. Volvo's design is awful. If you have the time and money I'm sure K&N would make an anodized housing which would look even better. The whole thing cost around 12 bucks which I think is cheaper than the foam rubber filter cost from Volvo. YMMV
Cattywompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:12   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
Make sure the new filter does not restrict the air flow. A diesel requires many times more air intake volume than a gas engine.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 20:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau 331
At Pepboy Spectre air filter # 9132 seems to work, 3" mount. $24
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 21:20   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I ordered a K & N filter several years ago to replace that cheap Volvo rubbish that dry rots in a season.

Cleanable, high flow, should last indefinately, much better solution.

Perfect fit on my MD2020. Lots of sizing options on their web site at http://www.knfilters.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:31   #9

Boat: Dufour 30 Classic
Re: air filter for volvo penta md2030

Belize Sailor, have you still got a note of the part code for the k+n filter, they have not been able to match it for me
sthurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:23   #10

Boat: Beneteau 331

I am using # 9132 Spectre filter I bought at PEPBOY. It is washable and should last forever, after running 80 hours there is no sign it needs cleaning. It cost $24.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:40   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Paul L;214242]Make sure the new filter does not restrict the air flow. A diesel requires many times more air intake volume than a gas engine.

Paul L[/QUOT

Perhaps you could explain that. Btu wise you get a bit more out of diesel fuel but.. Air fuel ratios etc..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41   #12

The Perkins Perama M30, same engine as the MD2030, uses a small metal screen as the filter. I replaced that with a piece of mesh from a stainless steel kitchen sieve.

Peter
yeterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 04:04   #13

When VP began their marketing agreement with Perkins they made several changes to the M30, one of which was the air intake system. The VP rubber hose and foam filter instead of the steel mesh reduced the air intake noise considerably, but as mentioned the foam doesn't last long. On my D2-55 VP engine (55hp) I replaced the foam with a K&N filter about the same size and it's doing fine.

Frequently the cause of short sea water pump impeller life is restriction in the suction side of the circuit. The high depression overloads the blades and causes them to tear off. Check the thru hull and valve for restriction of the water flow, and in the case of a saildrive make sure all the water flow slots and the hole on the bottom of the leg are clean.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, penta, volvo