Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2016, 20:18   #16

Boat: Lake Winnipeg Yawl
Re: Agip Super Diesel Multigrade for Yanmar?

To throw a real wrench in the works, the API is coming out with two new categories of diesel oil one for the older engines (CK-4) and one for the new ones (FA-4). All in the name of lower fuel consumption (and engine wear).
Years ago if someone would have told me I'd be getting +250,000 miles out of a gas motor (due in large part to the improvement in engine oil), diesels similar, at 1,000,000 miles, I would have tried to ship that worthy off to the
funny Farm.

Link
New heavy-duty diesel oil standard: What you need to know | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

Old 02-06-2016, 07:17   #17

Boat: S&S34, 10.3m

All the Yanmar turbo marine engines I have been involved with were running SAE30 as specified by Yanmar. They have a good web site with many models listed. Go to Specs.
You don't mention which model you have, the ones I have operated were all 6 cylinder motors in jet boats. Seemed to be pretty good too.
Oil is not the place to save money, as someone else said, so buy quality and change often or as recommended
Dave

Old 02-06-2016, 19:53   #18

Boat: Lake Winnipeg Yawl

Olddave

The new oils have far superior additive packages. But, and there is always a but, if the motor is tolleranced for a heavy weight of oil originally, you have to check with the manufacturer. That being said, the newer oils will give far superior engine life. JUST try to stay with the same oil company, as the additive packages have different characteristics depending on the company. Everybody is trying to be different, to carve out their marketing niche, and chemistry is a damned big field, and us poor users are at their mercy.
Old 02-06-2016, 20:09   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
API CF4 - looks good Ken. Avoid anything synthetic and don't deviate from the grade.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
+1 for avoiding synthetics especially on older engines or engines which have not been run on synthetics previously. They exist purely to meet emissions specs.

Any C*-* greater than the original spec is ok. A multigrade that has a lower W (cold) and higher viscosity (2nd number = hot) is generally good for faster cranking on start and higher pressure / less oil burn when hot.

More importantly, whatever you use, change it and the filters often. Old dirty oil is never a good thing. No engine ever failed because the oil was changed too often.

Never use flushing or running in oils or additives.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-06-2016, 16:49   #20

Boat: islandpacket

I had a mechanic tell me he felt synthetic oil was much better if your going to store your motor for awhile. As it did not absorb morsture or become acidic over time.

Tags
diesel, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: