Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 13:23   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: After market engine mounts and polymer mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The Vetus mounts to suit our 460kg 96HP Nissan ED33 were only $92 each. And much to my surprise, they seem pretty robust and well designed. And they sure soak up the vibration.

Early days yet, I'll let you know how they look after ten years.

Matt
Thanks Matt, you suggested Vetus before but the only 'mount' I could find in the Vetus shop is £132 is there a variety they make?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 21:52   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Thanks Matt, you suggested Vetus before but the only 'mount' I could find in the Vetus shop is £132 is there a variety they make?
Hmm, not sure which site you were looking at but the main site lists many,many different types. Were you looking at VETUS.com Anyway, you'll probably get a better result just by phoning Fenquin in Sydney, they were a great help and their prices were excellent. If our monster mounts (we use the HY150s and they seem to be about half way through the size range overall) were only AU$92 I imagine you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Please let us know how you go. I kept thinking I had missed something important when they told me the price. The engine has not fallen out or shot through the front of the engine bay so far, so I may be ok.

Matt
Old 13-02-2015, 23:01   #18

Quote:
Hmm, not sure which site you were looking at but the main site lists many,many different types. Were you looking at VETUS.com Anyway, you'll probably get a better result just by phoning Fenquin in Sydney, they were a great help and their prices were excellent. If our monster mounts (we use the HY150s and they seem to be about half way through the size range overall) were only AU$92 I imagine you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Please let us know how you go. I kept thinking I had missed something important when they told me the price. The engine has not fallen out or shot through the front of the engine bay so far, so I may be ok.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I'll go for a drive to my boat tomorrow and get all the sizes and then give them a ring. Just going to the .com site provides lots of options.
Old 16-02-2015, 03:25   #19

Quote:
Snowpetrel, how much did your mounts cost?

I've just got back from a three day sail and had to motor today and it's clear by the vibration my engine alignment has moved. So I think I have to speed up replacing my mounts.
I received a quote today for the ISO mounts of just over $500 for the four. I've yet to check the Vetus price.
Old 16-02-2015, 04:26   #20

Quote:
I received a quote today for the ISO mounts of just over $500 for the four. I've yet to check the Vetus price.
That's promising, my quote from Isoflex was $240 per mount... you can do the maths.

Crossing my fingers for you.

Matt
Old 16-02-2015, 23:40   #21

Quote:
That's promising, my quote from Isoflex was $240 per mount... you can do the maths.

Crossing my fingers for you.

Matt
Yes, $564 and that includes $25 freight to me. I'll still get a Vetus quote though but at least I know now I can afford changing them without a problem and I'm convinced I need to.
Old 27-02-2015, 01:26   #22

Hey guys, again, wacky waky

I've struck a problem. The front mounts sit on an angle compared to the back on 2000 series motors. It's pretty much the same rubber mount bit but without the flat iron that bolts to the bed. Then it sits in the engine on about a 40degree angle.

Has anyone changed the front ones before for an after market? Poly or Vetus ?
Old 09-03-2015, 17:23   #23

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with some advice. The attached drawing is of my engine. I had a devil of a job aligning my engine yesterday.

Would it help if I changed the footings around such as in the drawing? you will notice that each foot has a hole and a slot for side ways motion. At the moment each slot is in the forward position. Is this how it should be or should I have say the rear ones with the slots at the rear instead?

Would this help me to move it around?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine mount allignment.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	98603  
Old 09-03-2015, 17:34   #24

Well, assuming the engine mounting stud is central between the hole and the slot, I can see no advantage of turning the mount around, unless I am missing something. You are still only going to get the same amount of side to side movement, which is what you are chasing I assume?

Also, depending on the mount it may be designed to take force in one direction only, and this might mean you end up overloading the mount in what was supposed to be the reverse direction. (This assumes your engine mounts take the thrust from the prop shaft as mine do.)

Wow, what a lot of assumptions I just made...

Matt
Old 09-03-2015, 17:35   #25

Quote:
I had a devil of a job aligning my engine yesterday.
Which axis of movement was presenting the greatest difficulty?

Matt
Old 09-03-2015, 17:38   #26

Quote:
Which axis of movement was presenting the greatest difficulty?

Matt
The rear one. because of the single bolt hole, I virtually had to go to the front to push the whole engine side ways.

In answer to your other question on the previous post, my mounts, volvo Penta 2003T don't have to face any particular direction. They appear to be mirrow mounts in that respect.
Old 09-03-2015, 17:56   #27

Quote:
The rear one. because of the single bolt hole, I virtually had to go to the front to push the whole engine side ways.
So are you saying the rear mounts need to give you more sideways movement to get the engine into correct alignment, or just to facilitate connecting things up, after which they return to their original position?

I would be really concerned if I had to find sideways movement to get the allignment right, it would imply something has shifted badly. And if it has shifted, then it will probably shift again.

Matt
Old 09-03-2015, 18:11   #28

Quote:
So are you saying the rear mounts need to give you more sideways movement to get the engine into correct alignment, or just to facilitate connecting things up, after which they return to their original position?

I would be really concerned if I had to find sideways movement to get the allignment right, it would imply something has shifted badly. And if it has shifted, then it will probably shift again.

Matt
I would have thought some sideways movement of an engine is necessary in all engines with a solid coupling to the prop shaft? I mean, it's simply not possible to line up an engine to under say 15 thousands of an inch, without a mechanism for moving it.

My main problem I think is that all four of my engine mounts need replacing, which I'm following up.
Old 09-03-2015, 18:29   #29

Sorry, I was not too clear.

From what you have written it sounds like you have hit the limit of sideways adjustment available from your engine mounts at the rear and that you cannot move them far enough sideways using the slot in the base to bring things back into alignment?

If that's the case then something is awry, and although, like you say, the mounts themselves are tired, I have trouble imagining a mount failure that would use up all of the availble sideways movement if things were generally in alignment. Up and down movement...yes, I can imagine a mount collapsing to the point where it is no longer possible to get enough height from the mount, but sideways... I just can see it.

For reference I had to drill new holes in the bearers to attach the mounts I recently fitted (we were previously hard mounted), and I got everything as straight as I could before drilling them. Then I went about final adjustment, and I probably used about 20% of the available slot movement as I did so. (Though the mounts we use have slots at both ends, so I guess that would be 40% of the movement of a single slot mount.)

Matt
Old 09-03-2015, 18:43   #30

As mentioned by GILow, it doesn't matter if the lateral motion slots are toward the front or the rear of the engine. The amount of lateral movement of the engine will be the same. If it turns out that the amount of lateral motion in the new mounts is inadequate to align the engine, you could open up the hole at the non-slotted end so that you have slots at both ends, and this will double the available lateral motion range.
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine