Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2015, 10:56   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Advise on repower or keep same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'd forgotten about the 440s; yep, perhaps the more likely, if OP has Chryslers.

I think I'd agree with this. Especially if OP has 440 Chryslers, likely an easy rebuild.

A rebuild eliminates all the additional considerations of a repower, even a gas repower. New diesels could be worth more than the boat, even if the boat is already completely restored.... and the combined worth might even drop if "collector value" is a factor.

-Chris

Old 27-05-2015, 11:17   #17

If those are the original engines, you definitely want to rebuild them rather than replace them. You'll never get your money back on a diesel conversion, and the gas burners help retain the classic value of the boat. If you have the money for a diesel conversion, you have enough to remove both 454s (original or not), have them rebuilt/repec'ed, and returned to service. While they're out, you can check the beds, clean and paint the engine room, and easily do whatever systems repairs are necessary. What a great project, and thanks for saving a classic.

Old 27-05-2015, 14:16   #18

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Thumbs up Re: Advise on repower or keep same

If they are 454 ci they are Chevy engines and there is a new one listed on NJ Craigslist marinised and ready to go $ 5000. I have no connection just passing the info on.
Old 27-05-2015, 15:06   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You'll never save enough in fuel for a change to diesel to pay. Gas engines are relatively easy to overhaul. Overhaul vs new engine is several times more expensive. You'd need new motor mounts, maybe new engine beds, shafts, struts, props, rudders, etc. It's like a license to steal for a shipyard unless you know what you're doing.
Whatever you do, make sure you get a good alignment. Too many people think you can pull and engine, overhaul it and bolt it back in w/o changing the alignment.
Old 27-05-2015, 16:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
If they are 454 ci they are Chevy engines and there is a new one listed on NJ Craigslist marinised and ready to go $ 5000. I have no connection just passing the info on.
It better be pretty good. As I mentioned above, last I looked a completely rebuilt Jasper long block Marine 454 is less than $2500

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 17:08   #21

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I had a 1960,32' Constellation with 1960 Corvette 283 N engines.At idle, she'd lope along at 5-6 kn. Firewalled, her nine tons would leap out of the water an go around 30. You could actually SEE the gas gauges move.I think the old Chrysler were called Crowns; inline eights
Old 27-05-2015, 17:21   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
I had a 1960,32' Constellation with 1960 Corvette 283 N engines.At idle, she'd lope along at 5-6 kn. Firewalled, her nine tons would leap out of the water an go around 30. You could actually SEE the gas gauges move.I think the old Chrysler were called Crowns; inline eights
As I recall the Chrysler Crown was a little in line six. Dad had one in an Elco Cruisette. That wasn't original power, that would have been an old stone crusher gas engine with pistons the size of buckets, circa 1933.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:14   #23

Boat: Rienell

First thing I would do is to get a compression test on both engines. If they check out OK then get a top end rebuild done on both engines in place in your boat.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52   #24

If you just had the head gasket done on the one and it still leaks then it is time for a machine shop, with luck the heads only would need to be milled, wouldn't count out having to have the block skimmed though. Still cheaper and easier than a repower with a pair of different engines.
Could get "lucky" and only have a cracked head, depending, a good machine shop can weld it up and give it a light skim cut. Wouldn't have to do the block with any luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: