Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 22:24   #1

Boat: 1990 Nonsuch 30
Adjusting hurth shift lever

I just replaced my helm controls and the new design is causing the shift lever to hit the pedestal rail before fully engaging the forward position of the transmission.

I believe I just need to adjust the control lever cable down at the gear box but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I've attached a photo, and believe I need to move the stopping nut down, remove the bolt connecting the lever to the cable, then I can rotate it around the threaded area to shorten the cable, then reattach the cable to the lever and tighten the stopping bolt. Is this the correct process? And anything in particular I should keep in mind with this adjustment?

I've reviewed the manual here and I can't find anything about adjusting the cable itself http://www.motoren.ath.cx/pdfs/hurt/...andleiding.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170629_202931.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	150916  
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 22:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Adjusting hurth shift lever

loosen the nut on the cable,this is the locking nut,then push back the ball joint cover on the cable terminal this releases the cable from the gearbox lever ball joint.
you can then detach and adjust the ball joint terminal end to the required lenth.
might need a bit of WD40 to free the spring loaded ball joint cover/lock.
when finished adjusting ,lock off nut on cable
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 02:39   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Drop the ball joint fitting to the lower hole on the shift lever. Had the same problem on mine. Hurth like a fast shift movement of the cockpit control.
Old 30-06-2017, 06:25   #4

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Drop the ball joint fitting to the lower hole on the shift lever. Had the same problem on mine. Hurth like a fast shift movement of the cockpit control.
agree, this will shorten the angle needed at the helm.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 22:58   #5

All of the previous replies are valid points especially moving at the helm position to another hole in the arm (if available) BUT the main thing to check at the end of the process is to be very sure the gearbox lever is being FULLY engaged in the drive positions(fwd/rev) other wise gearbox issues will arise.- Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:40   #6

Boat: Adams 40

I have the service manual for HBW50 through to HBW220.

Section 2.9 states that the minimum shifting movement of the Bowden cable shall be 35 mm for the outer pivot location and 30 for the inner pivot location.

This next par. is definitive:
"However, if the lever travel is shorter, proper gear engagement might be impeded which, in turn, would mean premature wear, excessive heat generation and resulting damage"

More than the above travel is in no way detrimental. That is because the engagement is in a servo class, meaning it attempts to fully shift and set once the travel is sufficient to let the servo system actuate fully.

Cheers, Terry
TranceNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 22:18   #7

Boat: Logan 33

While that very good photo of the gear-shift cable is there, has anyone attempted a softer mount for the cable to shift lever. On my TwinDisc TM60 gearbox (40hp diesel) there is a noticeable 'buzz' transmitted up the cable to the control lever housing. This buzz stops if I detach the cable. I'm hoping to make up a rubber based system to eliminate the hard connection, and thereby the buzz, as a much as possible. Obviously needs to be reliable and allow a positive gear shift. Cheers
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 03:30   #8

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

As long as he soft mounting always transfers full movement and engagement of gear you should be fine.

Conversely, some kind of vibration absorbing 'secondary' mounting at the closest available position up from the gearbox lever might serve the same purpose...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 04:37   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

I had the same problem. But I could not adjust the cable or the shift lever on the transmission and still meet all of Hurth's "rules". So I made a stainless steel male/female adapter that mounts on the pedestal shaft. The adapter allows the handle to rotate clockwise (i.e. aft) from its normal position. Now the shift lever will fully engage before it hits the pedestal guard tube. It moved the handle a littler further from the pedestal too which I like.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth