Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 16:28   #1

Boat: nauticat 44
Additional soundproofing versus overheating engine and fire hazard

The above title describes my situation.Just replaced my 6 cyl ford lehman non turbo with a 4 cyl B series cummins turbo 3.9 . I have no intention of running the cummins at a constant super high rpm BUT am concerned about overheating and/or fire issues if more soundproofing is done. Think the noise level of the 2 engines will be about the same. All the hatches are 1" thick wood with another 1" of expensive peg board soundproofing as well. I know it is critical for the engine and generator to breath...air. Less noisy is nice but I don't want a fire or overheated engine.I saw one product from defender marine that is called silent running sr1000 coating but maybe it is just blue sky? Seems so very simple to apply ! All of this machinery is on our 44' Nauticat motorsailor by the way. Maybe it is best just to keep it simple and leave well enough alone ? I am hoping for some wiser sailors to advise me.
Thank you. Michael 410-913-2330
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 16:39   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Additional soundproofing versus overheating engine and fire hazard

Personally my experience with soundproofing is that it is a waste of money...but it all depends on your ears and those of your crew/guests and your boat.

I ripped out all the disintegrating soundproofing in my engine compartment...which was still doing it's job...and noticed very little difference. I replaced the soundproofing on all surfaces facing the cabin but over all noticed very little, if any difference, in the overall sound volume. Could just be my boat.

if you want to insulate out the wazoo then perhaps just add a blower to evacuate the engine compartment. I'm sure that would do more to pull fresh air in and keep the temps down than anything else.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:02   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

There is little question that lead sheet and a decoupler works, all the other stuff might not.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:08   #4

Boat: nauticat 44

Thanks for the kind reply, Captain.

Tend to agree with you and just keep it simple (KISS).

I am from the Old School and today almost everything is getting too complicated except, for me, just treat people the way you want to be treated, which seems to have very much gone out of style.

Will wait and see how loud it is compared to the ford lehman.

My ears are not that sensitive.

The wife and I don't have endless money to spend making everything into a major money project.

THANKS again shipmate.

Kind regards,

Michael

P.S. we are in Baltimore and the boat is in Crisfield
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 05:47   #5

Sound deadening sheets for car doors/trunks will help and won't add any real thermal insulation to the walls. Blower sounds like a good idea, maybe with its own thermostat for automatic runs.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 05:56   #6

Boat: in the works

There are some excellent soundproofing material for the auto aftermarket industry. Look into those, but obviously stay away from anything open cell. a quick google search fetched this...

https://www.soundproofcow.com/produc...YaAooFEALw_wcB
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 06:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Lead sheeting makes the biggest difference. Spray on foam on the outside of the engine room.

I use to build steel commercial fishing boats about 55'-90'. The living areas had 4"+ of foam, covered with plywood and a layer of fiberglass to seal in the foam. With engines running the actual sound of the engines couldn't be heard in the galley. Just a slight vibration.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:11   #8

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

I'm in the process of installing this "Soundown" insulation from Jamestown. https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...%2FFoam+Sheets Hopefully it won't be a total waste of time, money, and weight.

And it IS heavy, which is somewhat reassuring.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is the same as this material I saw at McMaster.com: https://www.mcmaster.com/#54495T59. It certainly looks identical, and comes in the same width dimension. But the material at McMaster costs slightly more than twice as much.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 08:51   #9

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I just coated ny engine room wit the product "silent running", really don't notice any difference in engine noise. A waste of money and effort.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 11:55   #10

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Thanks for the review, CaptDave. I always had my doubts about those painted-on sound deadeners.

Sadly, I will never know how well my Soundown insulation works, if at all. I've never heard this engine run, so I have nothing to compare it to.

But I plan to tell myself it's amazing.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 13:28   #11

Boat: Kaufman 47

We used the sound down paint on stuff then covered it with the 1ft/sq panels from Sailor Solutions. I guess it helped, I'm sure it did more than nothing. But I have no idea how much it did because I bought the boat unrunning and completely refitted the E/R.

https://www.instagram.com/p/8WknhKg0...=1xezyhcjfgwqb
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 14:05   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I had old heavy foam soundproofing that had mylar on 1 face which left everything else open to moisture and whooda thunk? Rot. Ripped out about 170 pounds of this crap and truthfully didn't really notice any huge difference.

I used to be pretty anti-engine and sailed whenever possible until I started driving tugs. Ok, now 40' up in the tuna tower the noise wasn't so bad but on other tugs inside the house it was loud. You get to used to it, 40 hours per week.

So my Cat has 2 engines and a 4kw genset. Running both engines I've yet to hear a noise complaint and being able to hear them more easily I can hear issues way faster than waiting for them to rear their ugly heads. For me, being able to hear the engines running normally is comforting now. Just depends on your viewpoint. I would never put that junk back in. The benefit is little especially when compared to the time, expense of installation.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 14:17   #13

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Sound is like water, it travels through any and all cracks or openings. To be effective you need to seal all exits from the engine room as well as track down any sympathetic vibrations that might be excited to add their own harmony. Wire runs through the engine room bulkheads will need to be sealed with putty, the same with pipes and hoses, and don't forget about any bilge areas that are common to the engine room and any living spaces..... Once you get it all nice and tight, you now have to think about ventilation.......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 16:47   #14

Boat: Passport 40

Sound deadening materials (spray, foams, sheets) usually (specially when they look like Dynamat or Dynamat Extreme, look them up), ADD MASS. This means that they are designed to change the resonant frequency of sheet metal in cars, more than they are about keeping sound out or in. Sound deadening sheets in car just work "against" the sheet metal more than anything.

My guess is that's why there will be little to no difference in using them. Most of the "sound" panels that we see (foam plus metallic looking film) are more about keeping reflected heat in the engine compartment than sound insulation me thinks.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 16:58   #15

Boat: Passport 40

In the "similar products" department, Ive found these:

Fire retardant, sound blocking, yellow, these look interesting
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6564t7/=1d1lb75

These look almost exactly in description like the stuff you would buy from a chandlery
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5692t53/=1d1lbqf

These are like the above but rigid, and is what Im tempted in using when redoing mine
https://www.mcmaster.com/#54495t59/=1d1lcp1

These sure look interesting
https://www.mcmaster.com/#9162t153/=1d1ld6e

Any thoughts?
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heating, overheating