Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 09:28   #1

Adding a Yanmar 1GM10 Tachometer?

I have a Yanmar 1GM10 in my boat, with the type A panel. This panel does not have a tachometer, so I have no idea what RPM's I'm driving at, and have until now relied on sound/feel.

I'd like to add a tachometer, but its a little beyond my mechanical knowledge. I have this plug at the panel end of my wiring harness that its not connected to anything. And if I'm researching this correctly according to my Yanmar manual, these wires should lead back to my sending unit.

My question is, can I cut the plug off of these wires and attach spade connectors and attach them to any generic 4 or 5K tach? Is it naïve to expect it to be plug & play?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	148139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	148140  

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	148141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	148142  

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:11   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Adding a Yanmar 1GM10 Tachometer?

They are using a wire from the alternator to run the tach and the popular boat tachs work that way too, usually just 2 wires and a light wire. There is also something called a "Tiny Tach" that works off the pulse in the fuel injection The transducer clamp to a fuel line.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:20   #3

I've seen the Tiny Tach, but it doesn't interest me.

But I don't understand your response. According to what I've read, the sending unit is magnetic and screws into the engine. It's not coming from the alternator at all. Neither are the wires in my photos.
Old 21-05-2017, 11:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
They are using a wire from the alternator to run the tach and the popular boat tachs work that way too, usually just 2 wires and a light wire. There is also something called a "Tiny Tach" that works off the pulse in the fuel injection The transducer clamp to a fuel line.
Many of the older Yanmars have a sensor to the flywheel for the tach drive... not from the Alternator. That may be the sender shown in the OP's pic, not sure...
OP: one option is to upgrade the alternator for more charging and with an external regulator and drive a simple tach off the alternator.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
OP: one option is to upgrade the alternator for more charging and with an external regulator and drive a simple tach off the alternator.
Would that be easier than just using the sending unit that I believe is already there?

I'm pretty sure that's the sending unit. I'm going to check the plug end for continuity in a few hours to be sure.

This is what the manual shows for the sending unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	148146  
Old 21-05-2017, 11:41   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

If you have a NMEA2k network, you could install a Actisense EMU-1 and use the existing sensor.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If you have a NMEA2k network, you could install a Actisense EMU-1 and use the existing sensor.
It's a network free boat unfortunately.
Old 21-05-2017, 11:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Would that be easier than just using the sending unit that I believe is already there?

I'm pretty sure that's the sending unit. I'm going to check the plug end for continuity in a few hours to be sure.

This is what the manual shows for the sending unit.
Probably not! But you may need a yanmar tach for that unit... I'm not sure.. maybe someone knows.
Assuming your sender is good, I imagine Yanmar wants a bundle for their senders. Can a pulse be measured off the sender with the engine running? VOlt Ohm meter?

Old 21-05-2017, 12:17   #9

Quote:
Probably not! But you may need a yanmar tach for that unit... I'm not sure.. maybe someone knows.
Assuming your sender is good, I imagine Yanmar wants a bundle for their senders. Can a pulse be measured off the sender with the engine running? VOlt Ohm meter?

According to the manual, I can disconnect the two wires and check them with a volt meter. They should produce a reading of 1.6 kilohms. I assume that would be with the engine running, the manual doesn't specify, although common sense tells me that if the flywheel isn't moving then there's no magnetic pickup happening.

So if I get 1.6 kilohms at the sender, and then get the same reading at the other end of the wiring harness I'll know I have the correct plug.
Old 21-05-2017, 13:30   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

All that you will need is the tach itself if the sender is in place. Something like this https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=14225943...0255994&chn=ps
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 13:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
All that you will need is the tach itself if the sender is in place. Something like this https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=14225943...0255994&chn=ps
Great find! I searched Ebay for "yanmar" and got few and expensive. IF IT ACTUALLY works with the yanmar sender...

Old 21-05-2017, 13:48   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Yes. You can test the tach pickup by putting an ohm meter across the orange and the blue/red wire while the engine is running. The resistance should jump from 1.6 k olms to infinity and back very quickly. A digital olm meter will help.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 13:50   #13

Quote:
Great find! I searched Ebay for "yanmar" and got few and expensive. IF IT ACTUALLY works with the yanmar sender...

I did the same.
Old 21-05-2017, 13:51   #14

Quote:

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Quote:
Yes. You can test the tach pickup by putting an ohm meter across the orange and the blue/red wire while the engine is running. The resistance should jump from 1.6 k olms to infinity and back very quickly. A digital olm meter will help.

Thankfully I do have a digital meter, albeit a cheap one. I'm going to stop over at the boat on my way home and see if I can get a reading.
Old 21-05-2017, 18:41   #15

So I tested it with my multimeter. Looks like at idle it's reading 1.7. This reading was taken at the unconnected plug near the control panel. I used the orange and blue/red wires.

Tags
yanmar, 1gm10