Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 16:48   #1

Adding a bow thruster?

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
My question is about adding a bow thruster to a boat that doesn't have one. Is this possible? Has anybody attempted to do this? How did it work out? About how much do you think it would cost?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:54   #2

Re: Adding a bow thruster?

There are varies thrusters for small vessels on the market Dr Google has this information. Cost would be dependant on vessel size & power source required.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:54   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's possible on all sorts of vessels, the key question is whether or not it makes sense. Both in terms of whether or not the boat needs it, & if it's worth it fiscally. Especially in terms of resale value. Put them in the wrong boat & you hurt the resale. And on many boats you won't get much, if any of the investment back when the boat's sold, regardless of whether or not the boat "needed" it.
Personally, I can't see sticking one in a boat of less than 25m, and far bigger than that if she has twin screws. Proper shiphandling skills & judgement are priceless.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Adding a bow thruster?

Quite a few boats have been retro fitted with bow thrusters.. cost.. no idea.. depends on the boat size.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:59   #5

Thanks for the response guys.
I wouldn't be worried about resale, at the point I would do something like this, I would be sure the boat was going to be a keeper.
Also Understand It wouldn't really be needed on a 30 ft. boat.
But Ive heard the full keel boats are a bit of a pain to maneuver, and thats what Im thinking of looking into.
Doing my research.
Old 22-10-2016, 17:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought when I first bought my full keel heavy displacement boat that a bow thruster would be a must, but now I see one as a luxury. If I won the Lottery I'd buy one, but only if I had excess money.
I have learned to live without one pretty easily, but you didn't say what kind of boat you have, some it may be a necessity.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 17:49   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

It is quite easy but takes good pre planning and strong visualisation skills. Good info online if you care to search.

I have seen a guy cut the hole too close to the bow - I have heard it happens now and then to less experienced owners.

BTW You may opt for a thruster that is all-out. The whole is just the size of a large thruhull. Very simple and neat. Google online for images.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
My question is about adding a bow thruster to a boat that doesn't have one. Is this possible? Has anybody attempted to do this? How did it work out? About how much do you think it would cost?
Lots of gold in the archives if one does some digging.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ter&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:52   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Most if not all sailboats below 40 feet does not have a bow thruster.
Sailboats have a relatively big rudder which makes slow speed maneuvering easy, also prop-walk helps to assist in docking.
With a bit of planning and practice, no need for a bow thruster.
That being said, I would want a BT on sailboat over 50' or so.
Call me chicken.
Old 22-10-2016, 19:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Just completed my install of a bow thruster this summer, 6KW Lewmar unit in my 40' full keel motor sailer. Relatively simple install, I cut the hole and did the electrical install. The only job I farmed out was the actual fiberglass work. The unit cost $3200 on sale, fiberglass work $1000, 2 size 31 batteries and cabling, $400. Total approx. $4600. I got estimates for a professional install at $7-8k . I'm not afraid to go out single handed now. Contact me for pics and any other info you need.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 21:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
Just completed my install of a bow thruster this summer, 6KW Lewmar unit in my 40' full keel motor sailer. Relatively simple install, I cut the hole and did the electrical install. The only job I farmed out was the actual fiberglass work. The unit cost $3200 on sale, fiberglass work $1000, 2 size 31 batteries and cabling, $400. Total approx. $4600. I got estimates for a professional install at $7-8k . I'm not afraid to go out single handed now. Contact me for pics and any other info you need.
Thx for contributing to the thread. This is exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 23-10-2016, 08:32   #12

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I too recently installed a bow thruster and am thrilled with my decision and the results.

I stumbled on a SidePower motor for sale on Ebay that was a back up for someone who sold their boat and picked it up for $400. I contacted SidePower and they sold me all the other needed components for $400 that were left over from a boat show display. I paid $2000 to have it installed and the results are fantastic.

As most feedback has stated this is not a necessity, but very few items installed are. I was initially interested because docking in between mega yachts in So Florida is incredibly stressful for me. I also plan on moving to San Francisco and the tide and surges can be tough to deal with.

After using it I feel it is on the top of my list of "nice to haves" !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0899.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	133509  
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 08:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I too recently installed a bow thruster and am thrilled with my decision and the results.

I stumbled on a SidePower motor for sale on Ebay that was a back up for someone who sold their boat and picked it up for $400. I contacted SidePower and they sold me all the other needed components for $400 that were left over from a boat show display. I paid $2000 to have it installed and the results are fantastic.

As most feedback has stated this is not a necessity, but very few items installed are. I was initially interested because docking in between mega yachts in So Florida is incredibly stressful for me. I also plan on moving to San Francisco and the tide and surges can be tough to deal with.

After using it I feel it is on the top of my list of "nice to haves" !!
Very good. Thx for contributing. Ive learned what I needed to know to help me make my decision.
NICE BOAT!!
Old 23-10-2016, 09:00   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

10-15K installed depending upon yard. Find a yard or installer who has done serveral. There are guys now that all they do are thrusters.
While you can get by without it, I have one on my Catalina 350. Use it all the time.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:00   #15

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

If I remember correctly Amel has an exterior one. I never heard if it was a loved or hated feature....
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote