Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19   #1
cruiser

A similar question to the winterization thread...

So I got a genset recently and installed it as a "deck mount" just aft of our center cockpit.

Because we are going to winter over at a dock here in NY to fix up the boat and make some $$, we will not be needing the genset until the spring, when we live on the hook.

The genset has never been started and has no fuel in it at all. It has a full crankcase of oil and 0 hours on it.

What do you suggest I do to keep this in shape over the winter? Would it be best to leave it as is, or would it be better to fill it with fuel and run it (lubricating the parts).

Thanks!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40   #2
Kai Nui

Outside, I would suggest you obtain some parafin wax paper, and seal the intake and exhaust. If it is wet exhaust on a seperate line, closing the seacock should be sufficient. If the fuel tank is engine mounted, as opposed to running from your main tank, use the parafin paper to seal the cap, as it is vented, and will allow moisture to ente the tank. Turning the engine monthly is still a must., and preferably with the compression released. Keep in mind that if this is done with no fuel in the tank, you will have to bleed the system before you can start the engine. I forget to mention in the other thread, do not leave the compression release released, as it will weaken the valve springs. If you do not have a weather tight housing over the unit, get a good quality cover. A plastic tarp will trap moisture, so get one designed to allow moisture out, but not in. Car and motorcycle covers use a fabric that fits this bill, and I am sure the genset manufacturer can come up with something.
All machinery wears out faster when not being used. In this case, do not spray a solvent based light oil, like WD40 in the engine, as the oil will not be built up on the cylinders, and the solvent can wash them down exposing the metal to rust.
As for filling with fuel, and running it, that would not hurt as long as you either drain all the fuel from the tank, or keep the tank completely full with Sta-Bil or similar additive. I would recommend the former, as additives in a new engine are a potential source of problems.
One last point, if it is in a housing, put a dessicant bag inside to trap any moisture.
Old 05-09-2005, 17:57   #3
cruiser

Thanks.... but still a question:

Thanks for the great info on winterizing the outdoor (deck mount) genset. I currently have not installed the line to the main diesel tank, so it does have a small fuel tank mounted outdoors.

Now, this genset has never been started. My additional question is: Would it be best for the engine to start it to coat the parts with oil, or just leave it in the condition it came in - never turned on and straight from the manufacturer?

I will certainly use the wax in either case, and be very careful about the moisture, as you suggested.

Thanks for the input so far!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 18:38   #4
Kai Nui

Turning the engine without starting should be fine. Just make sure you see the oil pressure come up before you stop to ensure oil gets to the top end. As this is a new engine, when you change oil, (6 months or so), stick with non synthetic.