Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 12:10   #46

Re: 90-Degree Oil Filter Adapter?

Hello, Hellosailor, we are on the same page with synthetic oil having better sticking qualities. There is a term for that I can't remember, something like boundary lubrication but I'm not sure now.

Air cooled radial aircraft engines did / do use very heavy engine oil which of course thins at engine operating temperature. Another starting technique they used in very cold climates was an oil dilution system. There was a system that diluted some bypassed engine oil with avgas (fuel). This thinned out the oil for starting and the gasoline evaporated out of the engine oil as it heated up. Aircraft engines use a dry sump and an oil tank so it was possible to bypass some oil. I don't think we need to do that with our little diesels.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:31   #47

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Hello,
. Aircraft engines use a dry sump and an oil tank so it was possible to bypass some oil. I don't think we need to do that with our little diesels.
Only old radial engines use a dry sump. Most aircraft piston engines have a wet sump just like our little diesels do. Aerobatic engines with an inverted oil system have an oil pick-up on the top of the engine so when you are upside down, you pull oil from there. There is no by-pass when running oil dilution. You just pump avgas into the sump and it evaporates when it does.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:40   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Bit of trivia on oil dilution, I believe the Russians first figured out how to do that, and the Germans didn't know to , until a captured Russian talked.
I think I read that in Ernst Udell's book?
Radials I believe used both 50W and 60W oil, which is honestly as thick as pancake syrup, and would burn it by the gallon.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 14:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Radials I believe used both 50W and 60W oil, which is honestly as thick as pancake syrup, and would burn it by the gallon.
Yeah you don't fill big radial oil tanks with quart cans you use 1 gallon cans that look like a big quart can.
Old 05-08-2015, 14:16   #50

All the aircraft engines I had much to do with had dry sumps.
The radials used gallons of oil and then the jets came along and might need a cup full if any and that is a very thin oil.
I had nothing to do with oil dilution. I only knew it was done, maybe in Russia?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:37   #51

Quote:
I had nothing to do with oil dilution. I only knew it was done, maybe in Russia?
And in Alaska and Canada etc You can get your little Cessna with oil dilute.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:55   #52

Thanks Guy, I didn't know it's done with Cessnas / Continental / Lycoming It's not that cold in NZ. I have experienced winter in Canada!
An expert mechanic once told me to flush my XY Falcon motor for a few minutes with half the old engine oil mixed with the same quantity of diesel. I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea for a small diesel??
Old 06-08-2015, 13:20   #53

Quote:
An expert mechanic once told me to flush my XY Falcon motor for a few minutes with half the old engine oil mixed with the same quantity of diesel. I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea for a small diesel??
An expert mechanic once told me to never put anything in your engine except oil.
Old 06-08-2015, 13:58   #54

Guy, apart from avgas in your Cessna oil if you live in Alaska. I didn't take that flushing advice as I think that with regular oil / filter changes there should be no need to flush. But experts disagree. I agree with you
Old 06-08-2015, 14:26   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
90-Degree Oil Filter Adapter?

Oil dilution with Avgas is considered by almost everyone that flies in cold country to be an emergency procedure only.
IE, if I could not get my camp stove to light, and or my generator was kaput so I couldn't pre-heat, and a winter storm was coming, then I'd oil dilute, but only if I couldn't drain the oil and heat it over an open camp fire.

You just can't go wrong with the idea of the only thing to add to oil, is more oil, although I'll admit to "flushing" the oil sumps on engines I've gotten from others that I suspected had sludge build up.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 14:28   #56

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have a Yanmar 3GM30F on which I mounted a remote oil filter in a more convenient vertical bulkhead. It has a larger filter, but that didn't trouble me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-19-2008 9-51-08 AM_0001.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	106833  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter