Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-02-2014, 20:30   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: 50hp Perkins won't rev past 1900rpm

If it starts with the spray, what will that tell you ?

Will you continue to start it with a spray until it gets so bad it won't start that way either ?

Suggest you find the real problem and correct it.

Old 20-02-2014, 20:48   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha Hoohaa,

You've got a lot of folks giving you some good and some not so good advice. I believe the last thing you did before the engine quit starting was to change fuel filters as evidenced by your post #48. I'm suspicious that there is still air in your fuel lines.

I've always had an extra person who pushes the starter button when I bleed the system. Is that how you are accomplishing it? If you crack the nut on the top of your injector, get good steady no bubbles fuel are you able to keep the engine spinning via starter until you get that nut tightened? If the engine stops spinning before you tighten that nut there will be air between the injector pump and the injector and the engine will not start. There are self-priming engines but I've not encountered one yet. Do you have an in line fuel pump somewhere between tank and engine? You can test the line by installing a simple squeeze bulb in the line somewhere. Start pumping and see where the fuel leaks from a line or a gasket or a connection.

Even just a bit of air through a fuel line or gasket leak around your filters will allow air into your system. The engine may start after bleeding, run for a little bit and then die.

I'm betting on there still being a leak somewhere between your tank and injectors.

Good luck in finding the culprit.

kindest regards,

Old 20-02-2014, 20:50   #123

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Why can't i use the glow plugs with the spray

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-02-2014, 21:12   #124

Boat: csy 37

fwiw, i dreaded bleeding the system after filter changes. i installed an electric fuel pump between the tank and the racor filter. have never had to bleed the system ever since. the pump pushes fuel through the racor, the engine filter, the injection pump, the injectors, and back in to the fuel tank.

don't know if this is at all helpful, but thought i'd mention it....
Old 20-02-2014, 21:31   #125

Ok. No start. Pinging or poping sound when using the spray and seemed to have an increase in compression when using the spray.
This engine seems to have a kill switch operating. That's what it's like. Governor???

Old 21-02-2014, 01:33   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Hoohaa,

You've got a lot of folks giving you some good and some not so good advice. I believe the last thing you did before the engine quit starting was to change fuel filters as evidenced by your post #48. I'm suspicious that there is still air in your fuel lines.

I've always had an extra person who pushes the starter button when I bleed the system. Is that how you are accomplishing it? If you crack the nut on the top of your injector, get good steady no bubbles fuel are you able to keep the engine spinning via starter until you get that nut tightened? If the engine stops spinning before you tighten that nut there will be air between the injector pump and the injector and the engine will not start. There are self-priming engines but I've not encountered one yet. Do you have an in line fuel pump somewhere between tank and engine? You can test the line by installing a simple squeeze bulb in the line somewhere. Start pumping and see where the fuel leaks from a line or a gasket or a connection.

Even just a bit of air through a fuel line or gasket leak around your filters will allow air into your system. The engine may start after bleeding, run for a little bit and then die.

I'm betting on there still being a leak somewhere between your tank and injectors.

kindest regards,
Some good ideas here. I think I will give it ago. I have nothing else to loose.
I actually think that the governor is somehow jamed on and will not let the motor start. But you are correct, it was running before, but I just can't find any leaks. I am also thinking about replacing the hoses to rule them out of the equations.
Old 21-02-2014, 01:56   #127

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Hmmm, soo you think it could be the fuel?? I will attack it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Just need to figure out what the fuel filter looks like and how it all works. Thanks, fingures crossed it solves it.. Jeff. Do you just buy a fuel filter off the shelf?
I think you should put the wrench down, step back from the engine and call a mechanic.

It will cost you much less in the long term
Old 21-02-2014, 02:44   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Hoohaa,

kindest regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I think you should put the wrench down, step back from the engine and call a mechanic.

It will cost you much less in the long term
Allready done.. Here in Sydney they charge like wounded bulls. $90 per hour ++. 4 hours min charge.
There was one that who didn't turn up last week and now it looks like I will have to wait until the end of next week for them to arrive. Surgery must be very busy.
I know I need a mechanic, and I have one booked but thats not going to stop me from using the time to try and figure this out for myself with the help of you guys ofcause.
Old 21-02-2014, 02:49   #129

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
When using the manual lever on your lift pump do you get good flow?
Old 21-02-2014, 04:35   #130
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Reason not to use with hot glow plugs. the spray can ignite while piston is in the upstroke. My 4.108 doesnt have glow plugs. I dont know why it works for me but it seems no amount of cranking and bleeding would start it. After the initial start post bleeding with the fluid it would crank instantly when the key is turned till the next time the fuel system was opened.

the hours on the engine could have something to do with it. Mine takes a while for all cylinders to start firing after a cold start. Runs pretty rough till its warm and put in gear under power then smooths out. Ive got nearly 10k hrs on it.
Old 21-02-2014, 05:04   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
When using the manual lever on your lift pump do you get good flow?
The little lever feels like it's doing nothing but it does produce results up to the injection pump but I am always left wondering if it's doing much.
Am I correct in thinking that it will only pump past the injection pump to one of the injectors as the other 3 are closed.

Old 21-02-2014, 05:10   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Reason not to use with hot glow plugs. the spray can ignite while piston is in the upstroke. My 4.108 doesnt have glow plugs. I dont know why it works for me but it seems no amount of cranking and bleeding would start it. After the initial start post bleeding with the fluid it would crank instantly when the key is turned till the next time the fuel system was opened.

the hours on the engine could have something to do with it. Mine takes a while for all cylinders to start firing after a cold start. Runs pretty rough till its warm and put in gear under power then smooths out. Ive got nearly 10k hrs on it.
Spoke to a mechanic and he said just get stuck into it and use the spray .glow plugs . What ever it takes. But didn't work in the end. But it was worth a try.
I think I will go leak hunting tomorrow with new lines and one of those hand pumps plumbedinto the line.

Old 21-02-2014, 08:36   #133

Boat: islandpacket

The little lever on the fuel pump will only move fuel to the injector pump and not through it. You need to crank the engine to move fuel through the injector pump to the injectors.
I dont know what type of filter you use but next time prefill it with fuel to help eliminate air. You said that you had good flow to two injectors and one was bubbly. You still have air in the system.. It will not start with any air in it. If it was mine I would do the following.
Turn your intake raw water off
Crack the nut at one injector and crank the motor till you get a nice stream of diesel. You have alot of air in the system and you may have to do this awhile. Then do the same for the other injectors. Dont stop with the first squirt keep cranking, you have alot of air to move out. The problem with air is that it compresses and wont pop the injectors open to inject the cylinders with fuel. You must remove the air. This should only take 5 minutes. Make sure you have a good flow no bubbly. It was running fine before you changed the filters it should run. You will make a mess but you need to flow alot of fuel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-02-2014, 08:43   #134

You wont get fuel through the injector pump with a hand pump.it will only pull fuel through the filter and to the injector pump and if you get the air out of the fuel lines thats a good thing but it still wont clear the injector pump and injectors.

Old 21-02-2014, 08:47   #135

My racor filter has to have the fuel pump after the filter so it works on a vacume the fuel is being sucked through the filter not pushing the fuel and putting pressure into the filter.

Tags
perkins, rpm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: