Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 18:13   #76

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: 50hp Perkins won't rev past 1900rpm

Jeff, hi. Engine cyls are numbered from front to rear, so the cyl that dribbled was no 1.
I am inclined to suggest that an assesment from a good diesel mechanic may save money and time, even if you decide to have a go at the work yourself you will not be chasing unknown issues.
All the best and keep us informed, cheers

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:33   #77

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Take the injector out and swap it with # 3. # 4 injector is likely stuck open.
Old 31-01-2014, 18:45   #78

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Sydney to a brick, your fuel pipe is clear, because with any kind of debris would cause your fuel injection equipment to crap out long ago.
But if you have the urge, do it, your not likely to cause consequential damage, unless your careless and twist the pipe. These are not easy to replace.
You are spot on 007. Was on the phone talking to a volvo mechanic. He had the same opinion. Dirt could not get through the pump without it being effected. So the pipe is almost certainly not blocked.
The other interesting thing is that Volvo are using the 50hp Perkins engine now. So he new quite allot about the governor and believes the starting problem is down to air.
Tomorrow morning I am going to bleed it again and try to get it running using a slightly different method on his dugestion.
Then I will get a mechanic to fix the governor.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-01-2014, 18:45   #79
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
As I understand. One injector not working will prevent the engine from starting.
So. Is it unwise to remove the injector because it's difficult to gain a seal when you replace it?
Your engine will start and run on 3 cylinders. Removing and cleaning pop testing and spray testing the injectors is regular maintenance. it states in the manual to do it annually. If your going to remove injectors why not do the standard maintenance that should be done anyway and rule out the problem and kill one maintenance point that often gets neglected until something goes wrong, Its not a big deal getting them to seal. Ive done mine multiple times and reused the copper sealing washers with no problems. Doing scheduled maintenance isnt throwing money away, It should be done regardless. Its one of those points like adjusting valve lash that not many people do on a regular basis contrary to whats recommended by the manufacterer, Did you try starting it using silicone spray? Its started my 4.108 when I was at my wits end after burning up a starter and bleeding and bleeding and bleeding.. Another gent on this forum turned me onto this and it works well. I can get mine ticking over quickly with no fuel just by spraying it in the intake.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:52   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Jeff, hi. Engine cyls are numbered from front to rear, so the cyl that dribbled was no 1.
I am inclined to suggest that an assesment from a good diesel mechanic may save money and time, even if you decide to have a go at the work yourself you will not be chasing unknown issues.
All the best and keep us informed, cheers
Bob. That diesel mechanic I spoke to is in Engadine? You seem to be surrounded by all the right blokes, that no their stuff but they won't travel to Sydney. Doh. Might have to shift my boat to Port Hacking. Would save a fortune.

Old 31-01-2014, 19:06   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Your engine will start and run on 3 cylinders. Removing and cleaning pop testing and spray testing the injectors is regular maintenance. it states in the manual to do it annually. If your going to remove injectors why not do the standard maintenance that should be done anyway and rule out the problem and kill one maintenance point that often gets neglected until something goes wrong, Its not a big deal getting them to seal. Ive done mine multiple times and reused the copper sealing washers with no problems. Doing scheduled maintenance isnt throwing money away, It should be done regardless. Its one of those points like adjusting valve lash that not many people do on a regular basis contrary to whats recommended by the manufacterer, Did you try starting it using silicone spray? Its started my 4.108 when I was at my wits end after burning up a starter and bleeding and bleeding and bleeding.. Another gent on this forum turned me onto this and it works well. I can get mine ticking over quickly with no fuel just by spraying it in the intake.
Sounds good, I will get the mechanic to service the injectors why he is there.
Regarding the silicon spray. I have some which Is for lubricating the mast track, is that the stuff and or will WD40 do the same thing?
Old 31-01-2014, 21:34   #82

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
You are spot on 007. Was on the phone talking to a volvo mechanic. He had the same opinion. Dirt could not get through the pump without it being effected. So the pipe is almost certainly not blocked.
The other interesting thing is that Volvo are using the 50hp Perkins engine now. So he new quite allot about the governor and believes the starting problem is down to air.
Tomorrow morning I am going to bleed it again and try to get it running using a slightly different method on his dugestion.
Then I will get a mechanic to fix the governor.

Hey a good idea, hope that is the problem and should work out reasonably inexpensive.
Do be careful if using a starting fluid sprayed into the intake, minimilist approach works best.
Cheers

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 19:52   #83

Firstly apologies. I had to return to work over the past 2 weeks. Got back to the boat thismorning.
The mind boggles. Spent the last couple of hours bleeding and cranking. There is plenty of fuel getting to all injectors. It wants to go but just wont

Old 19-02-2014, 20:00   #84

I have have gone over the fuel lines with a fine tooth comb.
Would a very small leak be enough to prevent it from starting. Bearing in mind that it's getting stacks of fuel to the injectors.

Old 19-02-2014, 20:03   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Yes, even a very small leak could be a problem. Getting fuel and air .... only other things I can think of are bum injectors, injection timing or low compression.
Old 19-02-2014, 20:04   #86

Just in case you're wondering. My mechanic didn't turn up. But, I must admit. I did think I could get it started with full battery bank and a fresh start.

Old 19-02-2014, 20:18   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
"Where did you spray? Over the injectors?"

Into the intake manifold after you remove the air cleaner.

Since you've cranked it quite a few times and have heated your starter a bit don't crank anymore until you've got your batteries topped off again. You could burn your starter motor if the batteries are not giving you enough juice. Your engine needs to spin at a significantly high rpm to start. That could be why it hasn't started your last try. At your injectors there cannot be bubbles in the fuel when you bleed the engine. Has to be clear spray

I suppose you know not to keep your engine water intake open while spinning and not starting? Did we cover this yet?
Why would you not have the water intake open?
It's currently open. Could this be our problem?

Old 19-02-2014, 20:26   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Hoohaa, I will tell you a noobie problem I had with a Perkins 4-108. When I first bought my CSY 37 and after replacing frozen starter I bled the fuel injector lines and could still not get the little sucker to fire or run. It turned out that the manual fuel shut off pull cable was run from the front of the engine and not the rear. Most boats have the fuel cut off know to be pulled to kill engine. After having injector pump and 4 injectors serviced and reinstalling the gear and bleeding the system the engine still would not run. Back to the injector overhaul place and ask which way does the fuel cutoff lever move to cut off fuel. On my engine the arm on the side of the pump moves aft to cut off fuel, forward to allow fuel to pump. After pulling on fuel cut off now the darn engine fired on the first 2 ticks. Sometimes it is the simple things that cause the problems. Yep I am the guy that called you "not a gear head" so even gear heads get things wrong.....LOL
Almost certain it's not the prob as it uses a solenoid. The kill lever is still there and operating when I turn it manually by hand.

Old 19-02-2014, 20:35   #89

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Reference your post 81....WD-40.......not "starting fluid"/ether....bad for a diesel.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:59   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Reference your post 81....WD-40.......not "starting fluid"/ether....bad for a diesel.
Thanks wad seriously thinking about giving it a try. So WD40 is out?

Tags
perkins, rpm