Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 01:17   #226

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Re: 50hp Perkins won't rev past 1900rpm

It's certainly improved it. We are now running on all cylinders.
Haven't taken it for a run yet but it's allot more responsive than it was. I will know more on Saturday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2014, 01:30   #227

It improved the lack of revs? lol im pulling ya leg mate. Did you see what tool the mechanic used to tighten the unions with?
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 01:45   #228

There is still something up with the governor but it's a different engine know. I think we where running on 3 cylinders since we bled it before X mas.
Also. I am shore we have put a spanner on that injector pump module thingy at some time try to bleed it.
The mechanic undid the pipes on the top so he could access the bottom bolts with a standard spanner.

Old 27-02-2014, 08:27   #229

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Flying cloud,
In my previous post I did say it was relating to the CAV type pumps/ filters on Perkins, there's lots of them still working everyday in boats. I'm familiar with Bosch, we use them in the family trucking business.

Sailorchic 34.
Many boat engines don't really run hot & especially turbo engines running slow for long periods are very prone to carbon build up.
It takes a good hard run regularly to get the engine temp up and sustained for at least half an hour to burn off these deposits. Usually a cloud a black smoke for the first 10 mins of hard running then afterwards the other crud gets blown out as it is dislodged from inside the exhaust system.
The old 2 stroke diesels were also prone and we put a 30% paraffin mix into the diesel to get it too run a little hotter then give it a good sustained blast at full revs to clear it out.
All engines, especially turbo charged should be run at idle for 5 minutes after sustained high speeds to relieve localised thermal stresses.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:09   #230

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
She's finally running. 2 or 3 of The injectors on the pump needed to be tightened up. Once tightened she fired.
Sounding pretty sweet at the moment.. Will post some .more detsil later today.

Oh Happy Day! I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I remember being so frustrated when I first started working on my 4-107 back in the early 80s. I had gotten into the engine compartment and turned out a machine screw on the injector pump. I couldn't get it back in straight and then once I did, I couldn't bleed the engine porperly. I worked on it a week or two. Had a friend come aboard and within minutes he had it bled and running again. It was one of the happiest days of my life and I learned how to bleed the engine and never forgot. I've needed to do it on several different engines now and have helped others get their engines going just like I'm certain others here on the forum have done.
Old 28-02-2014, 00:14   #231

Just hooked up to a mooring at the zoo on Sydney Harbour. Cold beer, good food & 6.4 knots at 1400 rpm. Oh yeah. And a chick giving some dude a lap dance on the boat next to us.
I love Sydney Harbour.

Old 28-02-2014, 00:47   #232

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Glad to hear that you got it sorted and sailing.

Good luck
Old 28-02-2014, 00:54   #233

Thanks everyone. It's been an interesting learning experience. I will keep you posted on how she goes and updates on the governor.
Here's a pic of where we are spending the night.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393577637597.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	76917  
Old 28-02-2014, 00:56   #234

Hear any strange sounds from that boat?
Old 28-02-2014, 01:03   #235

No. But she's rocking and rolling a bit.

Old 28-02-2014, 01:17   #236

Is that caused by the people inside or the waves? Lol
Old 28-02-2014, 06:30   #237

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Andrew T did his best to describe this archillies heal, poor thing didn’t have a chance to build up pressure and with a little air it never had a chance. All I can say is, we nearly got there, you cleaned down the area and with good lighting (did you do it?) with good set of eyes, It would have been found (tiny bubbles), (but would it have twigged?). Your bloody unlucky really, this is a special valve with a unloader piston, mounted on a plug that is a metal to metal fit onto the sleeve, it sounds like this metal to metal joint was in advertently loosened instead of the HP pipe, usually the torque is so great it is not easy to cause this failure.
Suggest you find out what torque (ask your new friend the mechanic), clean the faces up and torque them all. Torque wrench is important.
Anyway next time. it'll be a breeze. Enjoy your drink.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 15:20   #238

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I really think you should check out any protection devise (if you have any, usually for LO and overspeed), fuse, corroded terminal, anything that would effect the power supply to the Shutdown solenoid.

You'll feel like a goose, if the mechanic discovers something so fundamental.

Think its normally powered on when you turn the ignition "on" cose as a fail safe it will shut down the engine. So can you please check the voltage at the S/D devise with the ignition turned on. Should be 13V or so, you may have to disconnect it or go upstream. Will take 2 minutes.
Not on either of the 2 perkins engines that I have had on my boat(s). Not the way I would want a marine engine to be configured as the engine could shut down unexpectedly when transiting a narrow channel, docking at a slip, etc. Marine engines should run with no electrical power whatsoever required to ensure that just such an incident doesn't occur. As far as safety shutdowns are concerned it is better to damage an engine than to lose the boat because your engine shut down at the worst possible time.

No I do not believe that anyone would build a boat with an engine shutdown protection circuit installed that would shut the engine down due to low oil pressure or overheat.

Glad to hear that the OP got the little perk brewing again.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:30   #239

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I work on a Perkins, but never looked into it. I understand your scenario is like a car, well, they don't normally shut down on the highway either. But in commercial Marine & gensets it is quite normal to have S/D for overspeed, low LO press, High water temp. But I would think always with leading alarms and a bypass. (there may be more, can't remember), sometimes go slow mode.
If it were up to me, I would want S/D to save the engine, ignore alarms at your peril. I don't believe any vessel that has a keyed switch to power up the engine electrics would operate without electric power. This vessel has a electric shut down solenoid, I believe it would be need to be powered up before the engine would start or continue running, therefore checking continuity is important.
I really don't know how common non-auto shut down is, but it may be common on pleasure yachts as it is in cars. Sorry for any thread drift.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 21:55   #240

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hooha,
You sure it's the boat next door ? maybe it's the trip boats and ferry's causing all that rockin and rolling, might be quieter up the Paramatta but not so much fun.
Good on ya, crack another tinny for me.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, rpm