Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 13:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: 4jh4-te low revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
I have 4JH3-TEs in my cat. Also did the Yanmar school a couple of months ago. Discussed low revs extensively. The wishbone chart for debugging low revs is rather complex. I guess the bottom line is that there are many different causes for low revs. I have one engine that will not rev up to the other no matter what I have done.

I can send you a shot of the chart or the whole service manual if you would like. Let me know.

Regards,

Mike
S/V Vivo

Please do.

I spoke to Yanmar help in Ga. They went through trouble chart but seemed inexperienced.

They sent me to New Way in New Brunswick, who was experienced and helpful. Gave me a suggestion to try re fuel lines.

Maybe I'm getting air somewhere???? Insert some clear hose and look for bubbles.

BTW there is no lift pump on this engine.

Go straight from on board filter to Jerry can, as was suggested above but did not try as there was no lift pump. Didn't think of air or internally collapsed line.

Long shot, but an idea.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:03   #17

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Re: 4jh4-TE Low Revs

Are you sure fuel is getting to your engine? If your filters are OK there might still be a blockage in the line from your tank to the filter. You can check that easily by disconnecting the fuel line and see what happens. When you see no fuel try pumping some air (dingy pump) through the line to clean it. If that's the problem clean your tank afterwards.

Puzzling since to your fuel pump, injectors, air filter and fuel filters all seem to be OK. I guess your mechanic bled the system?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
Are you sure fuel is getting to your engine? If your filters are OK there might still be a blockage in the line from your tank to the filter. You can check that easily by disconnecting the fuel line and see what happens. When you see no fuel try pumping some air (dingy pump) through the line to clean it. If that's the problem clean your tank afterwards.

Puzzling since to your fuel pump, injectors, air filter and fuel filters all seem to be OK. I guess your mechanic bled the system?
I can blow air through lines with mouth.

Elsewhere someone suggested a line collapsing internally, withou external evidence.

Or....a wee crack in a line or something else admitting air under certain circumstances. Use a piece of clear line to observe bubbles.

Will get pump back tonight and reinstall, and go from there.

In meantime off to store to buy more fuel line.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I can blow air through lines with mouth.

Elsewhere someone suggested a line collapsing internally, withou external evidence.

Or....a wee crack in a line or something else admitting air under certain circumstances. Use a piece of clear line to observe bubbles.

Will get pump back tonight and reinstall, and go from there.

In meantime off to store to buy more fuel line.
Mysterious! If you didn't have your injector pump checked out I would suspect something wrong with the governor. I don't really know your type of engine but is it possible to (gently and carefully) 'force' the pump to WOT momentarily (not just the obvious lever controlled by the throttle lever) but effect the actual pump stroke ('after' the governor). If you can make the engine rev above what you are seeing now it must be the governor after all. May just be a simple check?

Could be collapsing lines too; I just find it strange you never seem to be able to rev above 1800; you do not need that much fuel to rev an engine above 1800 when not in gear. You need more fuel in gear at 1500 and that seems to work fine. Could also be a turbo; however an unloaded engine with a bad turbo will still rev (but will not be able to produce much power, so will stall when in gear).

Good luck, have fun and keep us informed.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44   #20

Boat: Lagoon 420

I have had the same issue a couple of times. It was always poor fuel. Clean out the fuel and the Racor. Replace the filter on the Racor and the one on the engine. It has solved the problem both times. This was about the exact same rpm as I was getting.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 21:54   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: 4jh4-te low revs

Quote:
Please do.

BTW there is no lift pump on this engine.

Go straight from on board filter to Jerry can, as was suggested above but did not try as there was no lift pump. Didn't think of air or internally collapsed line.

Long shot, but an idea.
If the fuel tank is below the engine.I don't understand how you can get fuel from the tank up to the injection pump. I have the 4JH4E and the lift pump is mounted on the injection pump with a little lever that is used for priming. Please educate me doesn't an injected engine need some type of lift pump or gravity? I thought the engines were the same and the TE had a turbo.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nope, no lift pump.

Situation detiorating. Mech made a bobo and lost timing reference between crank shaft and pump. Easy to do, too easy.

Yanmar manual, in describing issue on another model says "recovery difficult to impossible.". Nothing further. Gee thanks.

kinda depressed right now. Engine will not run at all. Not certain local resources adequate. Need to rely on self but I am really stretching.

Tonight/tomorrow wii remove injectors and attempt using fuel spurt to reestablish timing reference. Hopeful, sorta!

Explanation

Pump drive wheel is coupled to crank shaft with an idler gear, three gears total.

Pump gear falls off shaft, and decouples from idler when pump is extracted. You need to mark relationship between gears before removing pump, and then not turn crank shaft. Else timing reference is lost.

Mech did not know this.

May be necessary to remove front of engine exposing front gear train to align all marks correctly. But thorn need gaskets not readily available, another week.
Old 07-06-2012, 22:21   #23

Hpeer:

Perhaps we have some confusion as to definitions. The pump that acquires fuel from the tank and feeds it to the injection pump is commonly referred to as a "lift pump" in the Yanmar manual it is called a Fuel Feed Pump. Here is a link to a picture of the pump.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11002...26555082144705

Here is a good video on how to adjust a genric Bosch type injection pump.

I will try to get some more info from my Yanmar manual. Don't Despair the info is out there you just need to Goggle the right question.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 07-06-2012, 23:42   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Hey Charlie,
I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inj_timing1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	42048   Click image for larger version

Name:	inj_timing2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	42049  

Name:	inj_timing3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	42050   Click image for larger version

Name:	inj_timing4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	42051  

Name:	inj_timing5.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	42052  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46   #25

Maybe it's time to find another mechanic? A true diesel mechanic should have no issues with timing a HP fuel pump.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guys,

Am now sstarting to make progress. Timed engine off of injector squirt.

Taking a break at the moment because I need.

Charlie, no confusion of terms, I understand feed vs injector pump. This model engine has NO feed pump, none in manual. TE variant.

Del,

I have that manual, but that procedure is for a different pump.

The manual is difficult to navigate for the right bit.

Since you are looking at the manual, look at step 16 on page 6-50 and see the instructions and warnings re idler gear. Form my experience I believe the same issue is relevant to the TE variant, but is not in instructions for the TE, thus the issue.

Have engine running but may still be a tooth off.

Need to sit aside for a few minutes.
Old 08-06-2012, 16:52   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had to move gear one more tooth, but now looks like I have it.

At it again all day today, tuckered out

Tomorrow will take her out for an hour or two and if she is ok I'll be on my way.

The origional problem has gone away also, she now appears to rev freely.

Have not taken her past 2500 on dock for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all help.

Howard
Old 08-06-2012, 18:01   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Way to go Howard...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 21:00   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Guys,

Am now sstarting to make progress. Timed engine off of injector squirt.

Taking a break at the moment because I need.

Charlie, no confusion of terms, I understand feed vs injector pump. This model engine has NO feed pump, none in manual. TE variant.

Del,

I have that manual, but that procedure is for a different pump.

The manual is difficult to navigate for the right bit.

Since you are looking at the manual, look at step 16 on page 6-50 and see the instructions and warnings re idler gear. Form my experience I believe the same issue is relevant to the TE variant, but is not in instructions for the TE, thus the issue.

Have engine running but may still be a tooth off.

Need to sit aside for a few minutes.
So, how does the fuel get from the tank to the injector pump. A port tack? This what the pump should look like. Is yours capped off? Do you have any pictures?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feed-pump.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	42080  
Old 08-06-2012, 22:45   #30

Howard:

Great to hear that your engine is running. For the knowledge of the forum could you go into a little detail as to how you were able to time the injection pump off of the squirt. It could be very helpful to someone who finds themselves in your situation.
I know the 4JH4E well but am not a mechanic. I don't understand how fuel can get to the injection pump w/o a lift pump. The 4JH engines have a lift pump that operates off of a cam inside the injection pump. The manual calls it a fuel feed pump. These pumps are know to have problems. b/c of this I have an electrical lift pump wired and plumbed into the fuel line. It is very helpful in bleeding the engine and serves as a spare should you have a problem w/ the lift pump. Given the remote areas where you are going it is something to consider.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad