Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19   #1

Boat: Bristol 45.5
4JH3 TE Cruising RPM 3000?

2005 Yanmar 4JH3 TE

Wow I was looking at the specs on my motor....... 3800 RPM Max output ??!!

This is a very High revving boat diesel. That means I should be cruising under power at approximatively 3000 RPM .

Do you people that have this engine actually run it at these RPM's ?

I always ran my diesel at around 2000 RPM , for this motor, that seems like a no no. I need to run it at 80% load , that again translates to around 3000 RPM.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: 4JH3 TE Cruising RPM 3000?

I have the 4JH3 HTE, which is the 100 horsepower intercooled version of your motor.

It is likewise redlined at 3900 and easily runs over 4000 rpm.

My cruising speeds under motor alone range from 2000 rpm to maybe 2700 rpm, but mostly 2000 - 2300. Motorsailing I might throttle back to as little as 1500 rpm.

I have a Brunton Autoprop variable pitch prop, so it can be very profitable for me to throttle back -- the prop blades pitch up to compensate; like going into overdrive.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with running this engine at low speeds as long as there's a load on it. The Yanmar manual says to "blow it out" once in a while, which I do, if you're running at low speeds. These engines had an optional "trolling lever" for running at 1000-ish RPM, so I can't imagine that there could be anything wrong with running at 1500 RPM.

I have about 1800 hours on mine and it hardly burns a drop of oil; I went 160 hours before my last change and didn't add any oil between changes. Starts beautifully in any temperature with no pre-heating, even in below freezing temps. Smokes like a chimney on cold startup, but that is apparently endemic to these engines.

I will run my engine hard (3000 or 3500 RPM) for a little while every few hours while running slowly (as Yanmar recommend), and I always run the engine at redline for a few minutes when backing down on my anchor. I am always careful to let the turbo cool off before shutting down, and I do wash the turbo from time to time. I also change the coolant every two years -- something many sailors neglect. I am also very careful about the grade of oil -- CD or CF4. Avoid like the plague any synthetics or anything other than those two grades. I was even using Yanmar's own oil for a while, to be absolutely sure.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08   #3

Boat: Able 50

My Yanmar manual recommends 2600 cruising revs. I wish it were not so but the turbo motors are all high revving.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:23   #4

Hey Dockhead, thanks for the info.
My motor is due for a blow out , I did a lot of 2000 rpm cruising in the Erie Canal. I think It's time.

I agree no Synthetics for the Yanmar, Im using Rotella right now in both my Yanmar's , no problem , and its easy to get . CJ-4 rating .

Have you done the turbo cleaning yet" AKA spraying water and soap into it ", Read the manual and thought that was interesting.

Regards
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I have a JH3 series engine (normally aspirated) with the same high redline. I agree with Dockhead (and Yanmar) that there is nothing wrong with cruising at lower power settings. I cruise between 2000 and 2500 rpm.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I think when the manual says "cruising" rpm it means continuous rpm (hours), not that you have to always run it that hard.

I don't have the turbo engine, but normally cruise at around 2000 rpm and 5 knots (because it only uses .55 gph fuel this way and the noise doesn't make me crazy) and run it up to 3000 rpm for a few minutes every few hours.
Old 02-07-2014, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think when the manual says "cruising" rpm it means continuous rpm (hours), not that you have to always run it that hard.

I don't have the turbo engine, but normally cruise at around 2000 rpm and 5 knots (because it only uses .55 gph fuel this way and the noise doesn't make me crazy) and run it up to 3000 rpm for a few minutes every few hours.
I get about 6 knots at 2000 RPM , the motor seems to like that speed. I will do the same thing as you running it every once in a while just to stop the walls from glazing , I understand that sometimes become an issue after long periods of low RPM work.

Regards
Old 02-07-2014, 13:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I have an older version of this engine - also a turbo.

I can tell you that removing, cleaning and replacing the turbocharger is a total PITA. It takes about 2 hours out, and 2 hours in. This is what you will find yourself doing, even if you blow it out occasionally... Oh, and this is IF you can get to yours easily. It's like a giant puzzle.

Run the heck out of this engine on a regular basis. Yanmar's turbo wash recommendation is "regularly". In an FAQ I found some time back, there was a request to clarify this. The answer (you are not going to believe this...) is "weekly". I swear the stuff smells exactly like Fantastic.

If you find your turbo all carboned up, I've found that EZ Off Oven Cleaner (the really nasty kind, not the "green" kind) works well. Found that it's very popular with VW turbo owners in Europe (same ICC turbocharger).

Running this engine regularly below about 2200 rpms will dramatically increase the need to pull the turbo.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 13:35   #9

I have lots of room around my Turbo , so maybe a pull off and check would be a good idea . Not sure what the previous owners did for maintenance on it .

Regards
Old 02-07-2014, 13:45   #10
cruiser

I have the same Yanmar engine as Dockhead and needed to replace the turbo 18 months ago thanks to a delivery crew dogging the engine at 1800rpm for over 1000 miles. Had to re-pitch the prop in order to rev at 2000-2200 at 6.5-7.5 knots and now run it up to 3200rpms for 2-5 minutes every hour or two at most. The engine wants and needs to rev high. Failure to do so... is expensive.

I know of three others who fried their almost new turbos the same way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 13:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I have lots of room around my Turbo , so maybe a pull off and check would be a good idea . Not sure what the previous owners did for maintenance on it .

Regards
While the access around it is great, it's the design of the package that really stinks. Everything is in a tight little bundle, meaning you have to disassemble a bunch just to get at it. Also, access to fasteners (nuts and bolts) is very, very difficult. Even with a wide open engine room.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 14:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
While the access around it is great, it's the design of the package that really stinks. Everything is in a tight little bundle, meaning you have to disassemble a bunch just to get at it. Also, access to fasteners (nuts and bolts) is very, very difficult. Even with a wide open engine room.
Im gonna get her out on the water this weekend and run her up to 3000 see what comes out , then maybe 3800 if she is not over propped, see what comes out .

I will get myself some of that turbo wash and put that to use . She runs just fine, blows a little white smoke at idle , but you know how boats are , lots of secrets , we have only had the boat for a year and most of that waiting to get her through the Erie Canal

Regards
Old 02-07-2014, 15:01   #13

Boat: Oyster 53

I have the same engine as Dockhead and the same boat AND engine as Kenomac. Living in the great PNW where there is no wind (or too much wind in the face) we find ourselves motoring....a lot.

When we motor we cruise at 2550 RPM at 7.5 knots. This isn't a magic number but it seems the engine is "happy" and we aren't burning too much fuel. Anything above that we definitely start burning a lot of expensive fuel.

I have spoken to two Yanmar mechanics here and both have told me not to wash the turbo b/c it doesn't need it. I know other mechanics will swear this is not so and I don't know one way or the other but we have put probably 1200 hours on this 2700 hour engine and the turbo is pristine.

We displace 25 tons and have a 19 inch MaxProp.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 02-07-2014, 19:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Could someone explain their turbo wash procedure. Is it a "while engine running" procedure? How do you remove the used cleaner/Fantastik if the turbo is not removed from engine? My manual describes the procedure as "bring engine/boat to an authorized Yamaha mechanic

Second question: I have very low hrs (less than 25) on a new install 4jh4-te 75hp performed 3 yrs ago. In checking if turbo vanes were "dirty I tried to rotate the vanes by hand, reaching in to intake. It was very difficult to rotate the turbo. Mechanic who installed engine, and who's responsible for warranty, said there was no problem. Subsequently operating engine, I could agree there were no issues with power and or smoke. Just curious should I have been able to turn turbo manually?
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 20:04   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

You may find this interesting - or not...

https://www.forkedrivermarinas.com/y...E_TechData.pdf

If I were propping this engine I would target hull speed at around 2800-3000 RPM and a max prop speed around 3500. This puts cruise in a fuel friendly (and quieter) operating zone for motoring and after 3500 the torque and power curves drop off. The zone between 3000-3500 keeps you on the torque curve and allows for some fouling of the hull and prop. i.e when fouled you have some "reserve" power.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, rpm