Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 08:02   #1

4107 Rear Main Seal

Can anyone tell me if you have to remove the oil pan to replace the rear main seal on a Perkins 4107?
norena of white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 4107 Rear Main Seal

I can't, but maybe my post will bump this up so it gets seen.

Trying to remember but I think the few times I've replaced a rear main in different engines, it also required removal of the rear bearing cap too, seal being a two piece affair
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The rear main seal is in a separate housing that is in two halves. After you install the new seal in each of the two halves the halves should be lubed with a graphite grease and then placed around the crank end and screwed together. Before I bolt the seal housing to the engine I use some silicone to seal between the housing and the block/rear main bearing cap. Otherwise you will get some seepage.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:49   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The rear main seal is in a separate housing that is in two halves. After you install the new seal in each of the two halves the halves should be lubed with a graphite grease and then placed around the crank end and screwed together. Before I bolt the seal housing to the engine I use some silicone to seal between the housing and the block/rear main bearing cap. Otherwise you will get some seepage.
And, once you have done all of that, in short order you'll still get seepage around the rear seal. It is in the nature of the beast, and frankly, virtually all British motors, Perkins, MG, Austin, Triumph, and even RR. They all leak oil. Fortunately, most often, not enough to be a problem, just an inconvenience. Our engine leaks, makes a mess in the pan (collected with oil absorbent pads) and yet only needs a minor fillup infrequently between oil changes. A little seepage goes a l-o-n-g way. A few shots of WD40 into the pan makes clean up a snap, however.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 16:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

No you don't have to remove the pan. It seals on the main bearing cap.

Sorry, forgot original question.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 18:17   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
And, once you have done all of that, in short order you'll still get seepage around the rear seal. It is in the nature of the beast, and frankly, virtually all British motors, Perkins, MG, Austin, Triumph, and even RR. They all leak oil. Fortunately, most often, not enough to be a problem, just an inconvenience. Our engine leaks, makes a mess in the pan (collected with oil absorbent pads) and yet only needs a minor fillup infrequently between oil changes. A little seepage goes a l-o-n-g way. A few shots of WD40 into the pan makes clean up a snap, however.

FWIW...
This history leads to the knowledge that the reason that the UK has never been a leader in computer development is that they could not work out a way to make them leak oil... or so I have been told!

Jim
Old 22-03-2016, 10:02   #7

Boat: Island Packet 35

The good old days. Check for small drip at the packing and small drip from aft end of the old Perkins. If there was no drip, I might worry.

To answer your question. No, the pan does not have to come off.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This history leads to the knowledge that the reason that the UK has never been a leader in computer development is that they could not work out a way to make them leak oil... or so I have been told!

Jim
Also if you have ever owned any of the old British cars with the Stromberg Carbs you might remember going to the filling station and asking them to fill the oil in the carbs and check the fuel.
Old 22-03-2016, 19:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Also if you have ever owned any of the old British cars with the Stromberg Carbs you might remember going to the filling station and asking them to fill the oil in the carbs and check the fuel.
Strombergs on Brit cars? I sure don't remember that! Could you be thinking of SU's?

Now I do remember Stromberg 97's on my first flathead powered street roadster... nice, simple, inexpensive carbs they were, too!

Jim
Old 22-03-2016, 19:50   #10

Quote:
Strombergs on Brit cars? I sure don't remember that! Could you be thinking of SU's?

Now I do remember Stromberg 97's on my first flathead powered street roadster... nice, simple, inexpensive carbs they were, too!

Jim
Absolutely positive. Zenith Stromberg a British Company. Have 2 and a manifold still in the garage from my old Triumph. The reason old Jags still on the road have been converted to Chevy powertrains.
Old 23-03-2016, 00:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Absolutely positive. Zenith Stromberg a British Company. Have 2 and a manifold still in the garage from my old Triumph. The reason old Jags still on the road have been converted to Chevy powertrains.
that's pretty convincing! Wonder if there is a relationship between Zenith Stromberg and the US Strombergs? It was a long time ago, but I remember being pretty proud of my first two carb manifold!

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 04:12   #12

Quote:

Jim
My old Range Rover had them too, but only one of the two leaked oil.

Don't forget British motorcycles all leaked as well, silastic was originally gods gift to owners of British bikes.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pretty sure my old MG was a Stromberg too, unscrew the little cap on the top of the CV diaphragm and put a few cc's of oil in it, pretty sure it was meant to dampen the slide on the carb, but never noticed any running differences when the oil ran out, it should have led to an unstable idle at least.

I liked the Midget, it was a fun little car and actually pretty reliable, yes it needed attention, but was easy to fix. I thought the Armstrong shocks to be pretty smart too, wonder why that never caught on?

It was in Americus Ga that I truly became to understand why Lucas was the prince of darkness though, I was dragging a knee through a very high speed turn at night on a Triumph Bonneville when the headlight got real bright, then a blue flash and darkness. By pure luck I remembered the turn, it's radius and where I was in it and came to a safe stop, because I couldn't see a thing.
The rectifier had let go at high RPM, dumping everything the generator could make into the electrical system, blowing the headlight.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 20:36   #14

thanks for the advice and i guess some things are better left alone. But i will keep an eye on it for now.
norena of white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 22:50   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You don't HAVE to drop the oil pan to replace the rear seal, but you need to understand that the cork oil pan gasket is the #2 most likely place your 4107 will leak oil.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote