Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2015, 12:46   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 31
4 cycle outboard fuel

Anyone use Trufuel, the ethanol free fuel in a can? How about a 50/50 mixture with regular gas with ethanol and Trufuel? If I could avoid starting and carb problems I might consider it

Old 09-01-2015, 12:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 4 cycle outboard fuel

That the stuff sold in a sealed can at the home improvement stores? If so it's real expensive, I've had very good luck with ETH free marina fuel and fuel stabilizer.
I've got a tiny little Honda motor on a bicycle that I motorized, as I know it's got to be real sensitive to fuel and it's almost never used, I've been using Avgas in it as Avgas has an extremely long shelf life as in years.
It's this little motor Honda Engines | GX35 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info

Old 09-01-2015, 13:51   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Here in N.B.,supreme(Hi-test) gas is alky free,yet,& that is what we use in small engines,especially,if they are used intermittent.
Old 09-01-2015, 13:54   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That the stuff sold in a sealed can at the home improvement stores? If so it's real expensive, I've had very good luck with ETH free marina fuel and fuel stabilizer.
I've got a tiny little Honda motor on a bicycle that I motorized, as I know it's got to be real sensitive to fuel and it's almost never used, I've been using Avgas in it as Avgas has an extremely long shelf life as in years.
It's this little motor Honda Engines | GX35 Mini 4-Stroke Engine | Features, Specs, and Model Info
A 50/50 mix is actually a bad idea. With only half the ethanol it is even less stable regarding phase separation.

1. Keep the tank full or MT when not in use.
2. Keep the cap vent CLOSED when not in use.
3. Add an in-line fuel filter if three isn't one.
4. Use a good ethanol additive. Merc, Stabil, Biobor EB, and Seafoam have tested well.

No problems in years. Item 2 is perhaps the most important.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

4 cycle outboard fuel

I didn't recommend a 50% mix, I didn't recommend a mix at all.
I think avoid ETH like the plague, unless your in a State the requires it, you want have no ETH in your fuel now, ETH cost quite a bit more than the current selling price of gasoline to make.Not all States require it to be blended into the fuel.

Testing for ETH is very easy, only requires a canning jar

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 14:47   #6

The most important thing to do, whether it's ethanol fuel or not, is to run the carb dry - or even better, drain it.
Old 09-01-2015, 14:51   #7

We try to use streetside gas stations when possible. Haven't had any issues with a little shy of 1000hrs on the merc.

We figure gas stations turn over thier gas a couple times a week so it's usually fresh. It's not unusual for a marina to go weeks or even months.

How much you use the engine may play into the choice. If you just use a little to get in and out of the slip, it may be more worth the hassle. If you burn thru a tank ever 2-3weeks, it's probalby not an issue unless you have a leak letting water into your fuel tank.
Old 09-01-2015, 15:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Anyone use Trufuel, the ethanol free fuel in a can? How about a 50/50 mixture with regular gas with ethanol and Trufuel? If I could avoid starting and carb problems I might consider it
Here's the thing. I know people like to blame everything on ethanol, but the simple fact is, that people have been cleaning carburettors since the invention of the internal combustion engine. Evaporation of gasoline, any gasoline, leaves behind deposits.

The best way to reduce buildup of these deposits in your carb is to not leave gasoline in the carb any longer than necessary, by draining it between uses.

Other things that help :

Use a stabiliser.

Keep water and condensation out of the fuel.

Keep the gas fresh. When it's more than a few months old, put it in your car and buy some fresh.

Add a fuel filter. It's incredible that some engines don't have one.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:35   #9

Everything said above is true. We have to drive 150 miles (Texas to Louisiana to get ETH free fuel) and the drive is worth it. I have outboard mechanics who swear draining the bowl is right, others swear leaving it in so it doesnt dry on the jets so fast. I think the only answer is to run the engine every week religiously. and use a small tank to feed unless cruising.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:53   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Another option is Avgas (100LL). Around here it can be purchased by regular mortals and is much cheaper than the stuff on the shelf. No ethanol and high octane. You can leave it for a year without it going bad... but, it does contain lead..
Old 10-01-2015, 09:15   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

4 cycle outboard fuel

I've run two stroke engines and other small engines for the last 45 yrs., everything from large outboards to small engines like chain saws, and whether or not ETH is the root cause of the problem, or the problem is reformulated fuel and ETH makes it worse. I believe carburetor issues are a whole lot lore prevalent now that in times past. Remember the old tower of power Mercury outboards? Well those things had six carburetors, I can't remember ever cleaning one and we had one for years. Kept chain saws for years too, they sat all year long and came out ever year or two and ran with no problems.
Best luck I have had now is by draining all the fuel out of the little engines and running them dry, didn't used to have to do that.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:03   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Here in Ontario, Canada, I only ever use premium fuel in outboards or chainsaw,
Bill
Old 10-01-2015, 11:27   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
I'd just keep buying my fuel at the dock. Stay away from the local auto gas station and any of that bio fuel. I can't get may truck to float to the gas dock.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:37   #14

Boat: C&C 121

There is an option of water washing the ethanol from the fuel. As ethanol has an affinity to water, it is easily removed by water washing. The set up is pretty easy to do and affordable. Do this to have ethanol free fuel to run in your small engines, a lot cheaper than TruFuel ethanol free gasoline. Water washing hydrocarbon liquids is done in the refining industry in many applications. If you choose to do this, all precautions should be made to not expose your self to an ignition source while handling the fuels (enough said ).
Two containers that are suitable to contain fuels. Add 25% (there about) dose of clean water, ( 3 quarts fuel, 1 quart water = 1 gallon ) Agitate the container for a few minutes then let it set for couple hours for the water to settle to the bottom (or top) of the container. Some invert the container to settle and allow easy drain of the water after settling. In to the second container, pour the fuel off being careful not sip any water or if inverted drain the water off to remove it. The fuel will be near ethanol free... and not degrade your little flexible fuel lines and such as the non-washed fuel seems to do or absorb water and occlude the carb jets in such short order.http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Old 11-01-2015, 09:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What do you do with the water?

Tags
fuel, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: