Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 08:20   #16

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: 4-108m

Ok, I can get the head done, the block is currently stripped down to only the crank, pistons and rods. This is going to sound cheesy, but the local machine shop, is at least a month or longer out on their work.

I noted a line of motors and parts to be tested or fixed, the length of the shop. I'm not wanting to stay down that long. I know I'm taking a chance, but the time the motor isn't in the boat is,costing me 500.00 a month mooring.

I need to get her into the Stockton delta to another marina, ASAP, my associates are leery of sailing from Moss Landing CA, thru the entrance to the SF bay without a motor. I've even considered a temp mount with an 25 outboard to assist, if needed.

I'd like to add, that I have zero blue water experience, I have years of lake experience, however I'm wise enough to realize the difference, and will continue to spend the 500.00 a month until my boat is done right.

Thank you all. Your all helping me achieve my goals. The more people that share an idea or an experience, with their 4-108m, helps me learn from others mistakes, and experience.

I'm greatful.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:02   #17

All my new parts are in, I've got 15/20 hours in on cleaning gasket surfaces by hand, alone. Tapped every screw hole twice, and painted some of the covers and caps blue, like it came.

I've used WD-40 as the cleaning agent inside and out. Fantastic stuff on diesel surfaces.
Starting the reassembly tomorrow, hoping to be done minus the diesel pump by Friday.

Dirk
Old 20-09-2016, 16:22   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

I don't understand what you are doing. Is this some sort of "spray bomb overhaul"? Are you taking the pistons and crank out of the engine? You don't need some machine shop for a Perkins. You take it apart and put good parts back in. Bearings, pistons, rings are cheap. So are liners. You can get a head overhauled in a month around here, I did. To open it up, not change everything but yet paint it and put it back in the boat is weird.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:44   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Just curious, did you pinpoint the issue? Was it the head gasket? BTW if it doesn't work out, you might check to see if you can get a better deal at Pillar Point Harbor (Half Moon Bay) if you don't mind sailing up there.
Pillar Point Harbor, Half Moon Bay, CA., Local Contacts, USA - San Mateo County Harbor
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:44   #20

Given boat, discovered water in engine, freshwater. Pulled motor from boat brought home, have motor at a diesel shop. Pulled everything off the engine inspected it, sanded cleaned and painted.

No apparent signs of external/ internal water leaking, best assumption, evidence bases is, freshwater, likely rain water got into the motor via the dip stick hole. No explanation. Certain it is freshwater, three of us had a glass full, actually we each just dipped our finger in the water smelled, then tasted it, for determination.

Zero water got into the motor components, at least no physical,evidence of such an event. I'm not interested in spending money I don't have to. This motor goes back together starting tomorrow.

Well run it, and see what happens. If it's gtg, super, back I. The truck, back to ML, and into the boat. If it's buggered again. THEN, I'll spend the money on the motor.

Your right about parts for the Perkins. I'm guessing my costs to have the work done here in Oregon are 1/2 the costs of having it done on the coast, and especially in CA.

Not being cheap, being practical. And I am doing the majority of the work by myself, with a master diesel mechanic guiding me. Thus far everything I've done is by hand, minus some sand blasting of parts.

DW
Old 20-09-2016, 16:52   #21

Don, nope the head gasket was in great shape. We
Now are speculating based on physical evidence that water accumulated in the motors bilge, and got into the dip stick area. The evidence is/ was faint rust lines 1/2 up the fly wheel. A water lime or mark on the very top of the pan, above the dip stick hole.

Also discovered freshwater in the bell housing. The engine sits low. Truthfully we don't know. We're starting to button it up tomorrow. Well run the motor and review all systems, check the oil for water etc etc.

If we see issues. Like I said above I'll spend the money and rebuild ground up.

Dirk
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19   #22

So it turns out my motor is a true 4-107m. And I've taken a pounding sourcing specific parts. I assumed that a gasket and seals kit top and bottom would produce all the seals and gaskets required. Not the case. What was to be a two week rebuild has now taken 5 weeks, and I've still got to button up the front of the motor.

The up,side is what I've learned about this specific motor, I feel confident enough to tackle difficult engine repairs while under way.

Things I'd like to update. The oil filter housing is old school. I'd like to upgrade to the new style housing. The fuel,filter housing is also the stock set up, I have the Foley upgrade system sitting here, but have the early early housing.

I think an upgrade is my next task. However I don't know if a 108 mounting system can replace the 107.

And I'll upgrade the breather/ air cleaner upon placing the motor back in the boat.

Dirk