Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 09:26   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa,Canada
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Posts: 388
3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

I'm starting to put together the list of spares for our new engine for our next adventure. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or futher suggestions?

It's a new YM30AE, I'm keeping the factory alternator, but with an MC-614 (using: Smart Ready Retrofit for Yanmar | Balmar)

Does anyone have cross-reference numbers for the YM30AE filters? (I haven't been able to find all of them)

thanks!

Code:
Item                            Yanmar PN                   Secondary PN         Replace          # to Buy
                                                                                 Freq.
Primary Fuel Filter Racor 200FG Na                          Racor:
                                                            2000TM-OR 10 Micron – Blue
                                                            2000SM-OR 2 Micron – Brown
                                                            2000PM-OR 30 Micron – Red
Secondary Fuel Filter (inc O-ring104500-55710         FRAM C7516           250 hr
                                                            Baldwin PF981        Yearly
                                                            MainFilter MF0074486

Oil Filter                      119305-35160                Fran: ???            150 hr
                                                                                 (250 hr)
Engine Oil - 15W-40 (~3L)       na                                               150 hr
Gearbox Oil - 90 / 80W-90 (~0.3Lna                                               250 hr
Sillette Outdrive Gear Oil -    na
Hypoid 90 (90 Grade gear oil)
5-7 L  (close to 5 seen)

Engine Coolant Long Life Coolantna                                               Yearly
                                                                                 2 yr (LLC)

Raw Water Impellor              128990-42200                                     1000 hr
                                                                                 4 Yr
                                                                                 Check 250
Raw Water Impellor Replacement S128990-42520                                                             6
Raw Water O-Ring                X02173476
Mixing Elbow Gasket             128370-13201                                     250 Hr
 (check Elbow)                                                                   Yearly

V-Belt                          128990-77580
(replace 500 hrs?)

Alternator spares??
Engine Anodes? (not sure there are any)
Spare water pump">Raw water pump?           128995-42500
Spare Starter?                  129608-77010
Spare Fuel lift pump?           129158-52000 check PN
Replacement Injectors?          119C10-53000 check PN
Assume 500-1000 hrs/year?

References:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...ts-7096-1.html
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...r-11625-1.html
__________________

geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27   #2
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,087
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Here are some parts to consider:

* spare alternator or overhaul parts if you can do the bench service yourself. Include diodes if at all possible
* spare regulator, could be the stock one you're removing
* spare starter or overhaul parts including solenoid
* Replacement raw water pump bearings and seals (or pump assembly)
* more fuel filters than you think you'll need
* shaft seal

I don't know where you're going but the oil and antifreeze you can get almost anywhere. Probably the v-belt also.
__________________

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 13:28   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa,Canada
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Posts: 388
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Jammer,

thanks for the comments.

what parts would you think to overhaul the alternator?
Since it's a VALEO I wonder where I can get the PN breakdown as they don't provide this for OEM alternators (even tried calling in the past).

which shaft seal are you talking about?

Although we do like remote areas, I won't be getting too much oil - just enough for a couple of changes and the coolant for one, maybe two changes.

thanks!
Geoff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Here are some parts to consider:

* spare alternator or overhaul parts if you can do the bench service yourself. Include diodes if at all possible
* spare regulator, could be the stock one you're removing
* spare starter or overhaul parts including solenoid
* Replacement raw water pump bearings and seals (or pump assembly)
* more fuel filters than you think you'll need
* shaft seal

I don't know where you're going but the oil and antifreeze you can get almost anywhere. Probably the v-belt also.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 15:43   #4
Registered User
 
TheOffice's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Annapolis
Boat: Hylas 44
Posts: 701
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Impellers.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:50   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK, Croatia
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Posts: 489
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Lots of good advice re routine consummable spares.
There are 4 things that fail and need repair rather too often in my experience of 2 of these beasts in my cat:
  • The raw water pump is prone to leaking, (there are lots of threads here on this subject). Once it starts to leak then eventually water will get to the bearings and trash them and cause major problems. In addition it will spray salt water ov er your lovely new engine. New pumps are expensive, but the seal is easy to change and will prevent bearing failure if done right away. Buy yourself a bunch of the seals which cost peanuts, and a set or two of bearings which are cheap but not from Yanmar. See this link for details Pump Rebuild. Change the seal at the first drip of a leak, take the pump and bracket off, remove the impeller, prise out old seal, push in new. It is so easy, that I have started changing the seal when changing the impeller. Another thing, keep the pump belt tension low which prolongs the bearing life.
  • The exhaust mixing elbow tend to get cracks and pinholes in the weld and again spray salt water over your lovely engine. They have recently modified the design to increase the flange thickness but I have one of those which has failed after 2 years. The weakness is the weld in thin material and hot salt water. You will need at least one spare. I have now got cast stainless mixing elbows from HDI at half the price, thicker material and no welds which should last far longer. You should also remove the elbow yearly and clean out any deposits which can restrict flow, so lots of spare exhaust gaskets.
  • The last is preventive maintenance on the wiring loom plugs and sockets. These can go high resistance meaning the engine will not start, often intermittently which is infuriating. Not helped if your leaking exhaust elbow sprays salt water over the loom! Take all the sockets apart and ensure contacts are protected with anti-corrosion electrical contact stuff (not WD40) and re-assemble.
  • The engine hours display eventually dissapears after a year or so. I am told, it is just the display and you can take it apart and clean things and put it back together to bring the display back. Alternatively, fit a seperate one triggered by the igntion switch if engine hours are important.
Otherwise, the 3YM is a pretty reliable motor!
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:14   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Brazil
Boat: Custom Swedish Vind๖ 50 (35 ft)
Posts: 513
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Great advice so far, in my opinion. I would add at least 2 spare belts for the alternator and raw water pump, 2 impellers, some lengths of diesel hose for making new lines, perhaps even a Yanmar hose and gasket kit. If you're not far from services, some of the spares above are not really necessary, but nice to have. You can always limp into port with a leaking raw water pump and get it fixed or replaced, but having a spare one is nice insurance indeed. I would also add a large selection of screws, nuts and bolts, hose clamps (hopefully the same as the ones on the engine!) and tapes and epoxy/aerosil.
Oh, and a good tool kit!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Palermo, Sicily
Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Posts: 30
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I'm starting to put together the list of spares for our new engine for our next adventure. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or futher suggestions?

It's a new YM30AE, I'm keeping the factory alternator, but with an MC-614 (using: Smart Ready Retrofit for Yanmar | Balmar)

Does anyone have cross-reference numbers for the YM30AE filters? (I haven't been able to find all of them)

thanks!

Code:
Item                            Yanmar PN                   Secondary PN         Replace          # to Buy
                                                                                 Freq.
Primary Fuel Filter Racor 200FG Na                          Racor:
                                                            2000TM-OR 10 Micron – Blue
                                                            2000SM-OR 2 Micron – Brown
                                                            2000PM-OR 30 Micron – Red
Secondary Fuel Filter (inc O-ring104500-55710         FRAM C7516           250 hr
                                                            Baldwin PF981        Yearly
                                                            MainFilter MF0074486

Oil Filter                      119305-35160                Fran: ???            150 hr
                                                                                 (250 hr)
Engine Oil - 15W-40 (~3L)       na                                               150 hr
Gearbox Oil - 90 / 80W-90 (~0.3Lna                                               250 hr
Sillette Outdrive Gear Oil -    na
Hypoid 90 (90 Grade gear oil)
5-7 L  (close to 5 seen)

Engine Coolant Long Life Coolantna                                               Yearly
                                                                                 2 yr (LLC)

Raw Water Impellor              128990-42200                                     1000 hr
                                                                                 4 Yr
                                                                                 Check 250
Raw Water Impellor Replacement S128990-42520                                                             6
Raw Water O-Ring                X02173476
Mixing Elbow Gasket             128370-13201                                     250 Hr
 (check Elbow)                                                                   Yearly

V-Belt                          128990-77580
(replace 500 hrs?)

Alternator spares??
Engine Anodes? (not sure there are any)
Spare Raw water pump?           128995-42500
Spare Starter?                  129608-77010
Spare Fuel lift pump?           129158-52000 check PN
Replacement Injectors?          119C10-53000 check PN
Assume 500-1000 hrs/year?

References:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...ts-7096-1.html
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...r-11625-1.html
consider mixing elbow. Just read the manual for the YM and it says 500hrs or two years. I had more than double. Cheap and excellent quality from ExhaustElbow.com
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:58   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban South Africa
Boat: L 34
Posts: 284
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Add a set of Welsh plugs, ( I believe the Americans call them Freeze plugs) they are exposed to salt water and are bound to corrode.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 13:54   #9
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,087
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Jammer,

thanks for the comments.

what parts would you think to overhaul the alternator?
In order of importance: Bearings, regulator, diodes, slip rings (if it has them).

The other way to go is to just carry a spare alternator.

Quote:
which shaft seal are you talking about?
The packing box where the prop shaft exits the hull. Not strictly an engine part, but something to think about.

The way I think about spares, is to consider:
- likelihood of failure
- likelihood of parts availability when needed
- consequences of failure
- practicality of spares considering cost, space required, useful life
- practicality of field repairs
- amount of warning given when failure is imminent

Exhaust elbow is good advice. I was going to include it but figured on a new engine it will take time to fail, but I didn't realize how quickly they can go.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 17:32   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Marina del Rey
Boat: Hunter 31
Posts: 726
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

It depends how old your motor is. Parts that have required replacement for me:
- salt water pump (impellers, bearings)
- spare fuel pump
- alternator (you can get an OEM replacement for less than $100)
- starter ($60)
- mixing elbow
- fluids, filters, gaskets
- a spare injector is always handy
- a spare high pressure fuel pump (expensive but when it fails you are stuck)
- a spare engine mount
- assorted fuel hoses
- check the condition of your strainer
- exhaust elbow gasket (get a few)
- copper washers (handy)
- oil change kit

Some people suggest slip rings (you can replace by removing the oil pan) and shaft bearings but my experience is that such repairs are difficult accomplish at sea and you need special tools, etc... It becomes futile in my opinion.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:06   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa,Canada
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Posts: 388
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

Rapanui,

Thanks for the great detailed reply!

(Right off I installed a secondary hour meter as the hour meter on our GMD died as well!)

Geoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Lots of good advice re routine consummable spares.
There are 4 things that fail and need repair rather too often in my experience of 2 of these beasts in my cat:
  • The raw water pump is prone to leaking, (there are lots of threads here on this subject). Once it starts to leak then eventually water will get to the bearings and trash them and cause major problems. In addition it will spray salt water ov er your lovely new engine. New pumps are expensive, but the seal is easy to change and will prevent bearing failure if done right away. Buy yourself a bunch of the seals which cost peanuts, and a set or two of bearings which are cheap but not from Yanmar. See this link for details Pump Rebuild. Change the seal at the first drip of a leak, take the pump and bracket off, remove the impeller, prise out old seal, push in new. It is so easy, that I have started changing the seal when changing the impeller. Another thing, keep the pump belt tension low which prolongs the bearing life.
  • The exhaust mixing elbow tend to get cracks and pinholes in the weld and again spray salt water over your lovely engine. They have recently modified the design to increase the flange thickness but I have one of those which has failed after 2 years. The weakness is the weld in thin material and hot salt water. You will need at least one spare. I have now got cast stainless mixing elbows from HDI at half the price, thicker material and no welds which should last far longer. You should also remove the elbow yearly and clean out any deposits which can restrict flow, so lots of spare exhaust gaskets.
  • The last is preventive maintenance on the wiring loom plugs and sockets. These can go high resistance meaning the engine will not start, often intermittently which is infuriating. Not helped if your leaking exhaust elbow sprays salt water over the loom! Take all the sockets apart and ensure contacts are protected with anti-corrosion electrical contact stuff (not WD40) and re-assemble.
  • The engine hours display eventually dissapears after a year or so. I am told, it is just the display and you can take it apart and clean things and put it back together to bring the display back. Alternatively, fit a seperate one triggered by the igntion switch if engine hours are important.
Otherwise, the 3YM is a pretty reliable motor!
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:14   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa,Canada
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Posts: 388
Re: 3YM30AE Spares for long distance cruising

holmek,

I assume you are talking about a plug on the salt water side, specifically the heat exchanger?

I can't seem to find the plug you are talking about..


Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Add a set of Welsh plugs, ( I believe the Americans call them Freeze plugs) they are exposed to salt water and are bound to corrode.
__________________

geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3ym30, cruising

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brown streak on Yanmar 3YM30AE jserge Engines and Propulsion Systems 15 10-04-2019 17:50
Parts manual for yanmar 3ym30AE jbinbi Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 08-12-2017 13:45
Spares, Spares, Spares redhead Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 22-12-2016 12:50
Belt on 3YM30AE Yanmar geoffr Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 24-02-2016 06:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.