Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 15:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45
3gm30F Help !

I just spent a few hours getting a Yanmar 3GM30F started. It had been sitting abt 18 months. Several attempts to start it brought no sign of life. I got fresh fuel, bled the system, fresh battery ( all of which I shld have done at the beginning ). Turned the key and it started right up AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.
As I was on Jackstands in a deserted boatyard, it was a bit disconcerting to say the least. However, after immediately trying the mechanical engine stop without success, I stopped it in a few seconds by blocking the air intake.
Needless to say, I am nervous to give it another go until I find out what to look for. All the linkages are in good clean condition and feel right on both the throttle and the shut off. The oil is between the marks on the dipstick.
Any suggestions? Thanks....
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 17:05   #2

Re: 3gm30F help!

Had a 70 year old Caterpillar Diesel do that to me after sitting for 10 or more years. The rack in the injection pump was siezed up from sitting. Took an inspection plate off and used a brass drift to knock the rack back and forth (with lots of wd40) about 50 times and it ran fine afterwords. Old engines are fun?????______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 09:12   #3

Boat: islandpacket

Something in your stop cable is not working. make sure it is actually turning the connection on the engine. I would check that first. Also you should not run your engine very long as it is not being cooled. Do not stick a garden hose in the water inlet as you can quickly hydro lock the engine. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45

thanks for the reply, i have disconnected both the stop cable and the throttle.
does anyone know if I can take off the small inspection plate off and just spray cleaner or WD 40 in there in case the rack is just stuck? Or is that asking for more trouble?
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 06:12   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonEdwards View Post
thanks for the reply, i have disconnected both the stop cable and the throttle.
does anyone know if I can take off the small inspection plate off and just spray cleaner or WD 40 in there in case the rack is just stuck? Or is that asking for more trouble?
It won't hurt to take the inspection plate off. The fuel rack rests in wide open position at power down via the governor. Hence, if the rack is stuck, it'll run at WOT next time it's started. Hopefully you can free up the rack via the inspection plate. If you have to remove the IP in order to free up the rack, make sure the rack is seated in the governor arm (fork) on reassembly and be sure to put the same shims under the IP (the IP is timed via the shims).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 22:41   #6

Boat: boat less ATM
Re: 3gm30F Help!

My 3GM30 started to idle faster & faster and also the throttle lever became very difficult to move. Fuel pump was checked as OK. had to get a mechanic out to discover that the govenor had seized. As the engine was too close to the engine room wall, then had to get a crane to lift out the engine for repair. Ho hum
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30