Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 06:53   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: 3GM NOT RUN IN 10 YEARS

Has anyone tried using a bore scope to look into places in the engine which you can't normally see into? Ones that would be worth viewing prior to trying to turn the engine over manually, or with the starter. Seems like it'd be a good use for said tool, but not having tried it...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 07:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
3GM NOT RUN IN 10 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Has anyone tried using a bore scope to look into places in the engine which you can't normally see into? Ones that would be worth viewing prior to trying to turn the engine over manually, or with the starter. Seems like it'd be a good use for said tool, but not having tried it...

Of course is done all the time with aircraft engines. Used to be expensive little things. The name bore scope of course comes from cylinder bores, this is exactly what they were made for.
Now you can get them cheap, I have one that plugs into the USB port of a Laptop and is powered that way and of course the video is transmitted through the USB port and the laptop is an excellent display.
I don't know why I spaced a borescope, have used them forever.
Good point.

However if this motor is indirect injection, how do you see into the bore?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:23   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2444075]Of course is done all the time with aircraft engines. Used to be expensive little things.

Just last week a friend bore scoped my plane's O-235 Lycoming that has been sitting for about 18 years. All the cylinders and valves looked good. We could not see the camshaft or lifters.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 09:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

3GM NOT RUN IN 10 YEARS

And of course it's the cam on a Lycoming that will get you, it being on top and all.
Just me but since your rated, I'd have to split the cases, I've seen a couple of ruined Lycomings from cam corrosion. I use to lose sleep over it when I had my IO-540.

I have pickeled my little C-85 and it sits in storage for one day when cruising is over, or I get so old I give it to my kid.
Old 29-07-2017, 09:05   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe if you pull a cylinder you can see the cam?
Old 29-07-2017, 10:38   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

You can also see the cam through the breather fitting in the case. Trouble is the fitting is so galled into the case, it can break off. Yeah, Lycomings should be stored upside down and full of oil.
I might add a real oil filter to the engine instead of the screen and see what I get out of the filter. I also have a set of fresh cylinders and another old engine too. If you do need to ovhl the engine on an old ship like this one, it's a pretty minor project compared to all the wood and fabric work in the rest of the plane.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm